Calvin Pryor is a bust

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by greaser, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Primary responsible of a Mike linebacker is to first stop the run. Need to put him in the right position to succeed. Passing downs, have him look out for the flats and fullbacks

zace likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

Obviously passing downs, you take out Harris and put in another safety or cb, that option is also available.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lee and Harris both didn't come off the field for a single play yesterday. 4-3, 3-4, nickel it didnt matter. Thats part of the issue with traditional 4-3 base you are clamoring for, Harris would be playing out of position if he's on the field and Lee isn't ready for the coverage responsibilities.

Week 1, Cincy caught Lee playing the MLB in a 4-3 set. They knew he had middle coverage so they attacked it for a big pass play in the middle. KC must've caught that on film because they did the same when Lee was in that spot. Lee is much better right now when he has someone with him in the middle and he can roam IMO. If he roams than him and Pryor almost become redundant but Pryor is the 3 year vet that needs to learn how to cover someone by now.

4. BrowningNagle

you didn't see him in coverage on Kelce because he was out of screen, burned.

5. BrowningNagle

don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. The team gets steamrolled, people are going to bitch. It doesn't matter which fanbase. You could root for Miami or Jacksonville or LA or some shit where no one bitches because no one cares about the team. might be easier for your psyche

greaser likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

What about Bruce Carter? Any idea on his PT? Technique wise might be our best cover linebacker right now

7. BrowningNagle

I don't believe he saw the field at all on defense, only on special teams

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Carter is our best coverage LB. If he didn't see the field on D and wasn't injured, then it's just further evidence that Bowles is effing clueless.

9. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, I think it might help to get him out there to add more speed. Carter and Lee on passing downs as well. Hopefully we will see some changes next week. Going to be a tough one as Jimmy G looks to be getting better each and every week.

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

no i didn't say i'd stop being a jets fan... i just said seperate myself from the rest of the idiots that can't deal with a loss properly... comprehend better before you reach.

11. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Bye.

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

k

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Harris is only only good at stopping the run and the extra d-lineman can eat up space or make plays. In the 4-3 he can sit in a zone just as he can in a 3-4. He shouldn't be on anyone 1 on 1. Lee is gonna have to learn to cover. He has the speed, it what he was drafted for. Those dink and dunks werent all on the linebackers so i definitely dont buy thats the problem. They're not on the WR and HB screens. That's due to the fact that the team is lining 10 yards off the wrs. Our LBs and D line have kept us in these games when our secondary has failed us.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

14. greaser

Good teams find a way to use the talent they have, play to strengths, make adjustments mid game and simultaneously groom young players for the future.

We literally have none of these traits.

zace likes this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

We have young talent but youre right. Were not grooming it, nor grooming the talent that deserves it. Are we playing to the teams strength. We have a wealth of talent, but clearly this staff is struggling to manage it.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

greaser likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

They've been playing 4 down lineman all season, with another OLB also standing on the line.
    not sure if i'd call it a 4-3, as the LB's resemble more 3-4 alignment, with the DL resembling 4-3 gaps.
    ie, 4 DL, 1 OLB on the line, 2 ILB's.
    it's kind of a hybrid that gets our strength out on the field, so i like it.

in terms of providing Revis help over top, i agree.
    but in order to do that, you need safeties who can cover, thus Pryor playing a little more coverage.
    Pryor has been a big part of the problem. you can't mask a Safeties inability to cover, unless your corners are totally locking shit down.

I'm surprised by how many people here are giving him excuses like 'you can't put Pyror in coverage'. He's a freakin 1st rounder Safety.
    if he can't cover anyone, that puts him in bust territory.
    you don't take a S in the first round unless they are very versatile.
    i think he's a liability at this point.

#76 BacktoQueens, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  17. 101GangGreen101

So far this season, Jets have been blitzing far too much and the middle of the field / over the top has been exposed. I like the alignments, but I don't like the blitz happy calls. The blitz hasn't been getting there all season so far. Need to run more zone and send a 4 to 5 man rush on passing downs.

18. greaser

What I mean by playing to strengths is, playing to the individual player's strength.

A hallmark of BB and the pats system.

zace likes this.
  19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That long TD when Revis got torched by Green might not have happened with Pryor in the game, remember he left for a series or 2 with an injury and the replacement safety had some miscommunication and missed his assignment leaving Revis all alone with Green.

dvince89 likes this.
  20. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

The stupidity of some people. It's like certain Jets fans lose IQ points with every loss.

Peebag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.