Week 3: New York Jets @ Kansas City Chiefs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

KC won 11 straight games last year after Charles went down and out on IR. Even with their injuries, the Chiefs should by no means be underestimated, especially at Arrowhead. Their NT is a disruptive beast and I'm worried our O-line might take a step backwards this Sunday along with the adverse domino effect this could have on both our running and passing game.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

There's another 13 after this one, too.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Yessir.

HomeoftheJets and Big Cat like this.
  4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

yup, their dline is stout, and get a push in the middle and tip alot of balls, something fitz struggled with in a few games last year. their secondary is excellent, and marshall may not play or be limited. their run D is stout as well.

if we get behind early, it could be really tough. key is not to get behind

5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Any good statistician will tell you there is always an exception that proves the rule.

In the NFL it's called the Cleveland Principle.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Chiefs have not played well this year, but we still need to bring our A game. Arrowhead is a tough place to play no matter what. We are the better football team though, and should find a way to win.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The defensive line was pretty quiet last week after posting 7 sacks week 1. I'm curious to see how they show up tomorrow.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

they were playing to contain Taylor, not sack him.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Brandon Marshall practiced yesterday, limited.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting Marshall tomorrow, but will be pleasantly surprised to see him on the field at all of course. MCL's can take up to 8 weeks, and 6 weeks is typical. So he appears to be close and not in too bad shape, and thankfully the injury wasn't worse. Next week looks possible at home.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Contain or otherwise, Bills RT Jordan Mills pretty much neutralized Wilkerson all game long. The "stats" may show 3 total tackles for Mo with 2 for loses but of those two, one was after Leonard Williams (who is a 100% effort fucking beast) flushed the RB into Wilk's waiting mitts, the other was on a zone block scheme by the Bills that didn't involve Mills-on-Wilk. And outside of the Bills messing up a blocking assignment up and leaving small TE Nick O'Leary alone with Wilk (drawing a hold), Buffalo started to occassionaly have TE Charles Clay blocking Wilk one on one more in the 2nd half.

Here's hoping for some improvement tomorrow in the effort department by #96.

twown likes this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

well he practiced yesterday so I don't know why he wouldn't play

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wasn't he limited? I thought he was just running a little, just kinda testing it. Friday's pretty much a walk through too. Also, I saw a clip of him on the Jets site yesterday and he didn't seem very confident about it. He called it a 50/50 chance. Seems like a longer shot to me.
    I'm just not counting on him, but hope he plays of course. It's a tough spot for him.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense. The Jets weren't trying to get much penetration vs the Bills. Their game plan was to keep Tyrod Taylor in the pocket. When Taylor gets out of the pocket, that's when he can beat you. Wilk and the Jets' DL shut down the Bills' rushing attack, and except for the blown plays/coverages where Buffalo scored the long TDs, shut down the Bill's passing game as well.

TwoHeadedMonster and LAJet like this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"When Taylor gets out of the pocket, that's when he can beat you.."

Really? I didn't know that...like, no shit Sherlock.

Explain then why Mills consistently stoned his ass on running plays as well and why he graded out 2nd highest on the Bills (behind WR Goodwin?

Re-watch the game, and then watch the number of plays Wilkerson took off....plays that had nothing to do with 'contain'

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lets be positive

If poor B Marshall cant play this is where J Marshall R Anderson C Peake have a chance to shine

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

what does the run game have to do with the pass rush?

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Simple, while NCjetsfan inferred that Wilkerson's primary focus was containing Taylor, that still doesn't account for the fact that Wilk was pretty much a non factor against the run vs. Mills. Your "what does the run game have to do with the pass rush?" question is imho besides the point because Mo's overall grade has to be based on his overall on-field performance, that is, against whatever they (Buffalo) threw the Jets' way, be it run or pass.

You want to say that Wilk's pass rush "passivity" had to do with a contain-first mindset that's one thing (although I don't buy that 100%), but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Mills got the measure of Wilkerson (and then some) whether it was pass or run. I'll grant Wilk this: he did play a lot of downs, but at the same time Mills is with his 4th team in 4 years and can't carry Mo's jock - I simply expected more of #96. But that's all water under the bridge; tomorrow's what matters now and besides, I'm now rambling...

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

your initial response to me was to a conversation related to sacks, which is about pass rush. now you're talking about something different. Usually when you respond to a conversation you reply to the topic at hand. Not joe.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ok, keeping it to just the pass rush side of the equation, are you saying that Wilkerson's role was total 100% contain? I don't think so, not when you consider the fact that the Jets sent a lot of blitzers outside of Wilkerson at Taylor (e.g. Catapano, Pryor).