Chief newspaper scouting jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I think we would need to be in a bigger media market to get this kind of service..... It's tough competing with the Kansas City media juggernaut.

:p

2. Aewhistory

I think that bolded word really wasn't necessary, especially in regard to the cynical and pessimistic part. But maybe I'm just biased toward being cynical or pessimistic...

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

As per Dictionary.com, demise can also mean "termination of existence or operation." As in the end of Rodgers's time as an elite QB. Could explain why McGough blocked your Twitter.

4. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Regardless of what he "meant" or intended to say, his use of the word was incorrect by proper definition of the word. It's the second time he's made the same mistake going back to an earlier article he wrote about Derek Carr.

This is also pretty shitty sentence structure as well:
    "And it's not as if his demise has turned him into a horrible quarterback."

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it' sad. The best thing we as fans can do is refuse to respond. Every time we respond or post about it and more fans go to read it, they get hits, and their advertisers pay them by the number of hits they get. Ignore them out of business. They intentionally write stupid shit to try to elicit a response from readers so they can make more money.

Freddy Mondo and Aewhistory like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

Are you saying that the second definition isn't proper? It seems legit to me. Also, what do you think is wrong with the sentence?

7. Altoona

Let's try the primary and secondary definitions of the word demise taken from your dictionary.com reference and see where it takes us, shall we?

1. (Primary) "And it's not as though his death has turned him into s horrible quarterback." Grade: F
    2. (Secondary) "And it's not as though his termination of existence has turned him into a horrible quarterback." Grade: F
    3. (Perhaps this alternate secondary definition makes more sense to you): "And it's not as though his termination of operation has turned him into a horrible quarterback." Grade: F

With all due respect, HOTJ, your suggestion that McGough's use of the word makes sense or reflects proper usage is about as much of a reach as Terry Bradshaw saying he "intended" to hit Franco Harris during the "Immaculate Reception." The main difference here is that the Steelers enjoyed a favorable outcome. There is not a correct or favorable outcome here period. Just a minor-league mistake by a minor league sports writer.

Of course you're totally free to go on "interpreting" his special word usage any way you like to your heart's content.

#27 Altoona, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  8. Aewhistory

I couldn't agree more! My only concern is that part of what has caused the decline in media quality is our own habits. There is a wonderful John Oliver soliloquy detailing how the revenue of the entire print media market has collapsed in the last two decades. Combine this with people's hunger for information in record time and you have smaller staff than ever putting out stories that they cannot possibly have researched of confirmed the veracity thereof. So we are left with two options:

1. Punish the news sources that do a bad job by depriving them of their already small revenue, or
    2. Give them more business in the hope that there will be a return to the quality of days long past.

We aren't going to get yesteryear's quality of journalism, but perhaps if we all combine both of these approaches we can slowly wheedle out the nonsense while reinforcing quality sources of information. Or maybe I'm just a pie-in-the-sky dreamer with my head in my arse.....

9. Aewhistory

You know there are quite a few QBs for whom their teams would improve immeasurably if they had their existence terminated, so maybe this guy is onto something.

#29 Aewhistory, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Randy Lange. He worked for the Bergen Record for years before the Jets hired him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Yes, that's him. Do you know what happened to him? Is he still with the Jets? I don't recall seeing anything by him recently on the Jets' site. It seems like everything I see is Eric Allen.

12. NCJetsfan

I'll be surprised if all "newspapers" go out of business. I think bigger metropolitan papers like the NY Times, the KC paper quoted from, the Chicago, Boston, LA major papers will survive because of their quality. It will be the tabloids that hopefully go out of business.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yes he's still with the Jets. He publishes quite a bit under Randy's Radar on the Jets official site.

14. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Sorry but the pedantic side of me won't let this go. 2td + 2pat + 3fg = 23 pts

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

5 FGs 1 TD (missed PAT) 1 Safety

16. NCJetsfan

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

"And it's not as though his termination of existence (as an elite quarterback, implied) has turned him into a horrible quarterback." It isn't uncommon for writers to imply a phrase in a sentence. Maybe not the best writing but also not worthy of a Twitter blast.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

3TDs + 3PATs + 2FGs = 27
    That the winning math :)

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  19. Altoona

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps not. As someone lacking in education or legitimate qualifications, it's quite possible that my petty behavior and lack of tolerance for bad writing is rooted somewhere in my own sense of insecurity or jealousy. However, regardless of what he meant to say, the fact that this was the second time he's misused the word (further fueled by my personal belief that much, if not most, of his work's content is of poor quality, superficial and often deliberately shit stirring) lead me to send the messages I did.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good man :)