Jets to Long Island: "Drop Dead"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Jun 19, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That stadium would have been incredible--world class that would be on top 10 lists of stadiums--but instead we got a dumpster fire.

_

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

No. It was NYC's shithole and the Mets were prime tenants. The Jets were continually hosed when they played at Shea. No early season home games, losing home games completely when the Mets made the playoffs, playing on dirt into October. Some of you have short memories.

joe likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That stadium was never getting built.

4. JStokes

Not for lack of trying, that POS Sheldon Silver was the lone man standing in the way and he is soon to be getting violently corn holed in prison for his escapades.

_

jetsons121 likes this.
  5. Dierking

Well deserved no doubt. Still there was no fucking way that was getting built, with or without Silver in the way.

Think about an additional random 80,000 people dropping in on midtown Manhattan on a Sunday afternoon ten times each fall. Where are they going to park and tailgate? Not to mention urinate. Just a massive misallocation of urban resources. Theres a reason they stick these things out in the suburbs now. Land is cheaper and parking more manageable.

6. JStokes

Well, sure, it's all 20-20 QBing at this point so no way to prove it one way or another but Woody spent a ton of his own money and from everything I read it was close but for Silver's one vote.

And I gladly would have trekked in on public transportation and who needs to tailgate with the 1000 restaurants within a subway ride of the stadium.

Would have been state of the art--gotten us the Olympics, a regular slot on the SB conga line and I couldn't imagine how great it would have been going to an open air concert at night in the summer at that locale.

But you're right, it never would have gotten built because it didn't, had zero to do with the final vote of boro presidents.

_

jetsons121, FlaJet and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

actually the trend is to move stadiums back downtown and away from the suburbs. Cities and residents are gladly sacrificing traditional tailgating and parking because its better for the city for people to take the public transportation to the downtown stadium area and drink in bars and restaurants. Especially when owners are asking city residents to pay for it. Pissing? People would piss in the stadium or in the watering hole they choose before the game.

The suburban stadium is a dying concept from the 1970s-1990s. Most of the better stadiums built these days are built downtown often even right next to the central business district. (Indy, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, Seattle, Baltimore, Philly, Cincy, etc....) they all pull off an urban/CBD stadium nicely I don't see why NY couldn't have done the same, especially since NY has the better public transportation infrastructure than those cities

8. JStokes

Yeah a stadium couldn't have been built on that site but a bunch of multi-use towers and high rise luxury apartments are desperately needed.

Love downtown stadiums--being able to walk or take a cab or a subway to a game or concert is the way to go.

_

9. Dierking

That's an interesting point.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

this is kind of a personal interest of mine so bare with me..

at my old job they used to have these lunch presentations every so often where they'd bring in someone from outside our realm of business just for fun I guess idk. My favorite one of all time is when they brought in the developers of the Baltimore Orioles' Camden Yards stadium for like the anniversary of its founding. Camden Yards in 1992 was the start of the "classic" style downtown urban stadiums that we see today and its been copied many times in baseball with new stadiums. When they were first planning it though the norm was to build a huge, ugly suburban monster stadium with parking, tailgating and all the amenities. (sound familiar?)

Since that was the norm that was actually the first plan for the Baltimore Orioles stadium. They were designing it at the same time Chicago was designing the new Comiskey Park. New comiskey is exactly as described- a huge, generic, suburban stadium with plenty of parking. It sucks ass. nothing is enduring about it - they will probably knock it down soon. The original plan was to copy that in suburban North Baltimore but then the developers were reading through a coffee table book on baseball stadiums from like the 20s and stuff and decided to reject that plan completely and go with a smaller, quirky downtown stadium. At first the city was asking those same questions.. .where are people going to park? how are they going to get there? the developers said they would just take the new light rail downtown with a stop right at the stadium. there was a lot of fighting but they went with it.

There still isn't a whole lot of places to park right by the park. But by god its one of the most popular ballparks in all of MLB with lots of people copying it. It started the new urban trend and hell when the Ravens moved to town they built their new stadium right next to Camden Yards despite the lack of parking because people love to take the light rail downtown and hit up some of the bars before taking in games. Some people even tailgate at the suburban light rail stop where they park before closing stuff up and jumping on the train to the stadium. It is actually safer because you don't have drunk idiots jumping in their cars right after the game trying to drive home and its a hell of a lot more fun in my opinion anyway.

would've been truly awesome to have had that in NY for our Jets.

#70 BrowningNagle, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    FlaJet likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Countless jobs would have been gained also. Let alone the Olympics and a myriad other events. A ticket to a Jets game there would have been impossible to get. Shit, even I would've wanted to go there. It would've been magic

Sheldon Silver deserves to be Bubba's bitch for eternity. He lined his own pockets, and fucked a lot of people.......And Dolan should get his on principle.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bastards.
    [​IMG]

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit about family night......make the playoffs

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

NYC takes the cake for sporting venues. Since I'm a Man City fan I sometimes watch NYCFC, the MLS expansion club. The club had an agreement to built a stadium, which was unrealistic (but still do--able with the money the Sheik has.) First thing that new mayor did was torpedo it and confine them to Yankee Stadium. Which has got to be one of the worst stadiums I've ever seen. And for a soccer game it's unwatchable. The pitch is about as wide as a ruler. All the sight lines are screwed up. All the opposing teams have to do is play high up the field and knock everyone off the ball. The rest of the country is embarrassed the team even exists. But the fans are just happy they don't have to go to New Jersey. I'm thinking hell will freeze over before they get a real stadium.

#74 pdxdrew, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

NY Metro is a joke with Pro Stadiums with MetLife being at the top of the current list. They could've turned this place into a shrine and instead it's a cold, big block of cement.

NY Sports teams owners don't give a shit about the fan experience because they know they're filling the seats either way.

16. mreeve1128

mreeve1128 New Member

Would have been cool to see them play at Shea. I'm from NJ and have only been a fan for about 25 years or so. The whole NY thing is lost on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

18. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I like where we play - lol. Minutes from my home. But, I do understand how you guys feel. I used to hate the trip to Shea, so I am not complaining now. I think it is a shitty stadium, but I enjoy the ability to be social before and after and still get home in fine time.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

silver got bribed when azzhole dolan hired his former "secretary, umm" who became a state legislature lobbyist.
    bruno got it by his son suddenly turning up with an executive job on the cablevision payroll.
    if mayor putz had been the mayor back then, woody could have bought his way into getting it approved.

20. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Yes, and I would have rather taken NJ Transit to the city. I know I can do that via the Seacacus now, but, much rather go back to the City.