Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think there is a fundamental difference between fans on this board.

I think to a man we all recognize that it is not likely in any event that we are primed to win a SB. Not LIKELY but you can never say never.

So what kind of season are you looking for?

I've heard the old "we're not winning the Super Bowl anyway so let's build for the future, develop the young guys, see what we have in Geno, get a better draft pick etc" basically suggesting that type would be fine with a complete shit show like 2 years ago.

But there's no sure fire rebuild to be had. There are no young guys that need to accelerate their development such that playing older players will stunt the young guy's growth. Marshall and Decker and Powell and Forte and Davis and Revis aren't blocking young guys from getting experience. Petty and clearly Hack are not ready to play- throwing them in the fire might stunt their development. And Geno, while physically talented has such low football IQ and is likely not respected by his locker room, he's no future QB of our Jets.

On the other spectrum you have fans like me who don't believe a rebuild is the way to go or actually a real thing unless you're a 2-14 type team and I'd rather be entertained this season than endure something like that. I don't want to live through a shit show again, not for as much fun as we had last year.

No playoffs, got it. Fitz? Not great, not even really good, kind of average or mediocre but clearly a competent NFL QB capable of managing a team and being a team leader. A guy that could be capable of repeating last year and with Forte and another year of chemistry with Marshall and Decker and easily a better punting game, could be a fun ride again.

And I don't believe his money whatever it is will impact whether we can sign Mo because I believe Mo's $$ and Fitz $$ are independent issues for McGag. I don't think McGag is just going to dump more money on Mo if he doesn't sign Fitz. I think he has a plan and an amount for both and they don't effect the other. Suggesting we say "fuck it, kick Fitz to the curb and give Mo his $$" just doesn't seem realistic. And paying Fitz what both sides can agree to this year --likely more than McGag wants but less than Fitz wants-- won't impact in any meaningful way McCags ability to manage the cap going forward.

So although I'm no Fitz fan-I think my original reaction when we signed him was I was underwhelmed and the least favorable of all the choices last year--I think he's the better option for having an entertaining season and possibly who knows what could happen.

Going 9-7 or 7-9 is not going to change the future but going 4-12 is no guarantee of a future dynasty, not with the lack of a sure fire franchise QB on the horizon (and no guarantee of being in a position to draft him even if there were one).

That's all I've got. Time to fire up the grill.

Happy Memorial Day.

_

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's very simple really. This isn't baseball. Full scale tear down rebuilds don't work in football. Try to win games, hope Bowles becomes a top tier coach, draft well, and hope we can develop a franchise QB. That's all.

PulseJet likes this.
  3. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

I think it's more like, you manage a company and your salary is $25,000. That is far below the industry average. You have a good year and set some sales records. Then the company comes back and says we'll pay you $75,000. And you ask for $250,000 because that is close to the industry average. Your company says you are making 3X what you did last year and you should be happy. You still think you are closer to industry average. And a lot of people tell you that you are all about money because you wont play AGAIN for less than industry average.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think a 2016 QB Depth Chart of 1. Fitzpatrick 2. Petty 3. Hackenberg looks great. An alternate one of 1. Fitzpatrick 2. Smith 3. Hackenberg is not too shabby either. Keeping all 4 with a Chart of 1. Fitzpatrick 2. Smith 3. Petty 4. Hackenberg is okay, but I hate wasting a roster spot.

A QB Depth chart of 1. Smith 2. Petty 3. Hackenberg would have me ready to move on to 2017 before 2016 even starts though.

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  5. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I see your point but Fitz has received his large payday and under performed before. I can imagine Mac is hesitant after seeing the way Fitz has played post large contract before.

6. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Really think that signing Christian H sends a very huge message to Ryan F!

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think your analogy is hogwash. No one is managing a company at $25k a year. There is no such thing as an industry average. There are different industries and different size companies. In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone else makes, but rather what your company can afford to pay and is willing to pay. Tripling one's salary in a year should be enough to satisfy anyone. I think anyone that expects to go from a $25k annual salary to a $250k annual salary is not only a delusional moron, but a greedy delusional moron.

vokab206 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. A depth chart of Fitz, Petty, Hack could be disastrous is Fitz didn't play well or was injured, and neither Petty nor Hack were ready to play (which they probably aren't). I think your second depth chart of Fitz, Smith, Hack is nuts, because you don't give up on Petty after 1 season to keep 2 QBs who are likely to no longer be with the team next season.

IMO if Fitz is signed, then the best option would be to go with 4 QBs (it wouldn't be wasting a roster spot). If one doesn't think that either Petty or Hack are ready to play and it would be harmful to their development to throw them to the wolves, then one must keep a backup QB with experience in case Fitz plays abysmally or gets injured. IMO the 2nd best depth chart would be Smith, Petty & Hack. It still has the same limitations if neither Petty nor Hack are ready to play, but at least one isn't shelling out a lot of money (and over paying) for an older, JAG QB.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Glad you got that out before the cerveza started flowin'...

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

In Industry you can take your resume to other employers to get paid more. That's called free agency in the NFL and that's what Fitz remains. There is no demand for his services from any other team...at the moment. His only choice (since he said he will not retire) is to wait for an injury during the summer but even that won't get him close to what the Jets are offering. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.

RexontheBeach and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It says in this organization, we will never draft your replacement unless you play defense.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

We dont sign him because the money it would take is absurd and we shouldnt be cutting other areas of the team for a 1 year shot with fitz on a team with 0 chance of contending and a bad chance of even making the playoffs. Fitz is a guy you bring in cheap to make the record look pretty and win some guys while we rebuild. he isnt someone you throw big money at to make some pipe dream run. at 4-6 million, sure, bring him in. more then that just let one of the other guys start.

its BOTH.... an average season by NFL standards was a career year for fitz. fitz is a career journeyman backup/borderline starter. it doesnt take alot for that type tp have a career year.

that should not tbe the goal. the goal should be building something that is sustainable for longterm success. not making a 1 year run wit a team not likely to make the playoffs even if they go all in

Red Menace likes this.
  14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the problemw ith drafting well is it is easier when you have an eye on rebuilding.... when you play to win now, you end up with what happened at the tail end of the sanchez era... something we are still recovering from

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In that case I am all for rapid acuity lol Something this world lacks plenty of

But don't complain if Hack isn't it

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

3 years on the bench is far enough for Petty, he's either got it or he doesn't at that point. I would also anticipate a veteran signing as well.

17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Anyone else sick of the narrative that the going rate for average starting QBs is 15 mil + so that is what Fitz deserves? The national sports media, other fans, etc keep saying it and it's just really dumb....atleast Jets fans who get what's going on understand the situation better, even Fitz fans are better than the rest of the country it seems

"Fitz had a better year than Osweiler, pay the man his 15 million!" "Jets are lowballing Fitz!"

There has to be some kind of curve for Qb salaries, and when you consider all factors, Fitz is one of the least coveted.....therefore below average to the market. If he deserved his average starting QB money, as they say, he would have got it on the open market.....shit someone can pay him that tomorrow

Just laughable the things you hear other fans and guys on NFL Live say....ignorant morons

#3337 King Koopa, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who would have thought that there would ever be a thread with 167 pages about Ryan Fitzpatrick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

LOL, ok keep going on about your obscure knowledge of mid 20th century medicine. Women must be lining up at your door

20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

What is Fitz worth to the Jets? That is the question. The NY Jets have Brady sidelined for 4 games and the Pats have many holes even with him. The question is who in the afc east steps up and takes the lead. The phins,the bills or the Jets. The Jets have the most vet superstars of the group Marshall Forte Decker Mangold Revis Harris etc. When is this team going to be this strong again? We need to seize the opportunity and who provides us with the best chance,it is Fitz. He had one of if not the best season of any NYJ QB. I hate watching him play,yet if we want to seize the moment in an AFC division wide open,you pay Fitz for a year and let it roll. The rebuilt starts next year

NYJetsO12 likes this.