Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ok, but after 50+ posts.........I mean, we get it..

Like the Packers avatar though..

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

People need to stop posting here that Hack had no talent around him at Penn St. That's a blatant fallacy. They've had a top 15 recruiting class in the last 3 years and also a few top 25 classes in that time span as well. That is considered good talent by any measure. Add to that they had 2nd team All Big ten offensive skill players in stud true frosh RB Saquon Barkley and WR Chris Godwin and Honorable mention all big ten WR DaSean Hamilton this past season. If anyone watched their games closely, Chris Godwin had to make some ridiculously tough grabs on routine throws by Hackensuck all season long. Godwin is a future pro definitely and a very tough kid. They would've easily won 2 more games if Hackensuck was even a decent college QB. Barkley, Godwin and their defense carried them to 7 wins last season. They had one of the best DL's in the country in 2015. I watched almost every single one of their games (and Hack was very painful to watch, reminded me of Geno out there quite honestly). So to act like he had no talent around him and he was held back by this is not only misleading, it's a complete lie and he was the real reason the team was held back from more on field success. Also people need to stop making comparions to Vinny T and Pennington as they were extremely successful QB's at the college level and the comparisons end there. You actually have to produce on the field and not just have a strong arm and be a big kid. That means nothing if you don't have individual and team success. I'm done talking about this kid as he's a roster cut in a few years.

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Good then start this kid right out of the gate.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You use paragraph breaks like Hackenberg makes short throws.

legler82 likes this.
  5. Johnnywad119

Johnnywad119 New Member

Can someone please explain to me why the Jets think Hackenberg with be a better QB in the Nfl compared to COOK? In my opinion Cook is a winner, more accurate, same size as Hack and learned from Cousins. I think Cook will be a good NFL QB, but who knows.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm on board, he has all of the skill-sets you want in a QB. I just wonder if he will put it all together. He needs to fix his mechanics big time, I think that's the only thing really holding him back. Needs to regain his confidence. If we can fix that, he could be an elite level QB we've been looking for.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I liked Cook a lot better than Hack but the fact that he's still on the board (and Kessler and Brissett aren't) shows me I've completely misread the QB class. Gotta believe Mac's opinion is better than mine.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Shoulder and character concerns killed his stock, shame on his part because I think he's a starter in this league with the right team, but Hack wins the upside debate hands down.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I have no idea but I'll bet it's the same reason why New England and Cleveland thinks Brissett and Kessler are better respectively.

Dierking likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Agreed. The question is would someone else have drafted Hackenberg in round 2 and that question would've been better answered had the Houston Texans not signed Brock Osweiler (i.e. instead possibly reuniting Hackenberg with his former coach Bill O'Brian).

But even in the face of the Osweiler signing, it gives pause as to why Houston felt compelled to make a last minute trade in the 2nd to move up two spots in front of the Jets (meaning they obviously didn't think the Jets were looking at Hackenberg). So if nothing else, good for Maccagnan for at least not showing his cards.

11. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

I have no issue with the Jets drafting a QB every year, until they know they have a franchise QB, so I like that they chose a QB. From what little I know about Hackenberg, I'm not enamored with the pick itself. I'm also not a professional football evaluator and had devoted maybe five minutes of thought to Hackenberg before yesterday, so I'll defer to Macc and Bowles' judgement.

FJF likes this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm not mad we took Hackenberg. I even pictured them taking him later in the draft. But why did they feel compelled to reach for him in the 2nd round? Were they really afraid of him being taking that early?

13. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Historically bad O-line, sanctions meant to bury the program, new coaching staff, switching from pro-style offense to spread. Still set school records in passing yards, completions and touchdowns and became the only Nittany Lion to throw for three 2,000-yards-plus seasons. Got murdered every game the last 2 years, but still kept coming back for more, never missing any of his 38 starts. No QB we picked at that spot would start right away. He'll be fine with some coaching. I have faith in Mac and Bowles. He'll be a good one!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. Petty played at Baylor where Art Briles has been a successful HC for years. There has been stability and a succession of QBs who played well in Briles' system. He had solid, if not excellent, OL play and the offense was a great fit for Petty's talents.

Hack played for O'Brien his freshman year and looked great, like a future #1 pick in the draft. Then O'Brien left for the NFL and Hack was saddled with a clueless HC in Franklin and a different OC each of the next two seasons, each of whom taught him a different footwork. This was compounded by a terrible OL after Hack's freshman season and an offensive system for which he wasn't a good fit.

If you can't see the difference between the two of their college experience, then it says that you're not thinking clearly.

Maybe YOU don't draft another "project" QB in this situation. Mac evidently doesn't see Hack as a big project. He has already suggested that Hack could be in the mix for starting this season. He said several times during the past month or so that while he is trying to keep the team competitive, he's not going to let that interfere with the long-term future of the club. He's going to take supremely talented players that may take some development, even if it hurts in the short term. He also said that he is adherent of the Ron Wolf philosophy of taking a QB every year until you have a quality starter.

Taking Hack thus makes perfectly good sense. He's smart, played in pro-style offense under O'Brien, is used to reading Ds and changing plays at the LOS, has a cannon for an arm and can make all the throws. The only major things he needs to work on are his footwork and accuracy, and the latter is a direct result of the former. He is young and has probably more talent and upside than any QB in the draft including Goff and Wentz.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Fitz is a 33 year old journeyman making ridiculous demands. Liking cook is fine the jets felt differently. End of day do you trust your GM or not? That's the question.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

you put carson wentz in pen state with their OL against good competition im not sure he would produce much more , we talking bout the 2nd overall pick in the draft

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

You're right, my mistake.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Penn St. hasn't had a QB drafted in ANY round of the NFL draft since 1997 until last night. We're talking almost 20 years. The "Un" QB U.

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I've been watching film on him since they pulled the trigger...

Positives - he has an absolute cannon for an arm the ball comes out with a lot of velocity, quick release with zip. Accurate deep ball and makes throws with anticipation. Hits wide open receivers.

Negatives - Average footwork, inaccurate short and intermediate throws, holds the ball to long when processing progressions. Struggles with high throws in tight coverage.

He also got rocked a lot but his OL isn't all to blame.. He held the ball to long at times and other times his OL failed.

Attackett likes this.