Free Agents Jets May Look At

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetLifeLo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

He would disappear in games and I say don't let the door hit you in the ass

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's hard to assess what the Jets might/should do in FA until they sign Fitz and also make a decision on Wilkerson and Snacks.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Bills just cut Mario Williams

- sign the beast

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Can we sign him for the league minimum? Or did the Jets just win the Powerball?

abyzmul likes this.
  5. James Hasty

You may laugh but he could be a bargain.

6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Can he still play some OLB?

7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

You guys want to sign a DE............. :confused:

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're surprised? Every time some player is cut from another team, some posters always want to sign him. I saw on the Star-Ledger site that 15% of Jets fans thought we could beat Denver in the playoffs if we had played them. A larger percentage thought we could beat Carolina. I think they're all freaking nuts.

Nesquik likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We might have gotten shut out by Denver if we played them because of Von Miller or Demarcus Ware vs. Breno & D'Brick factor.

We may have been able to play Carolina competitively. The ability to take away the running game really halted their offense. They did win 17 games, and waxed good defenses in Seattle and Arizona , but the majority of the defenses they played were soft (Saints, Falcons, Bucs for 6 games, Giants, Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Texans early in the year).

I don't like to discredit teams based on the schedule but I'm not so sure they win as many games as they did with a different schedule.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I was hard on Kerley earlier in the season but it became pretty evident towards the end of the season how much he could've helped this offense. I have zero clue why he wasn't utilized unless he slept with Gailey's daughter. For someone who was praised for being able to adapt to his talent it's pretty ridiculous he couldn't find a way to get Kerley involved because of his bullshit "only uses tall receivers" excuse.

To put it in perspective we had only 770 yards receiving from all tightends and receivers (excluding runningbacks) that weren't Marshall/Decker/Kerley. Marshall & Decker accounted for 51% of the teams receiving yards.

Our #3 guy in receiving yards was Powell with only 388 yards whom only played in 11 games, he had 13 yards vs. Miami and Washington combined. So that means he had 376 yards in 9 games. Unless they're an unreal receiving talent like Forte, Bell, etc. your offense could be hurting if your #3 receiving guy is a runningback with less than 400 yards.

Kerley's misuse was criminal. He did have over 800 yards receiving in 2012 primarily working out of the slot.

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  11. James Hasty

When you are the only good option on a bad team you can rack up plenty of yards.

Once you are competing with actual talent for receptions you revert to the mean.

jerseyjay14 and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah because Kenbrell Thompkins, Chris Owusu, Quincy Enunwa, and Devin Smith are all proven top notch talent in this league he was competing for reps with.

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Lol, are you kidding me? He HARDLY played at WR this season. Don't see where your "revert to mean" claim comes from.

Why that was the case? Who knows. He was by far the best receiving option after Marshall and Decker. This excuse that Gailey doesn't like small shifty receivers is BS.

#353 Jets4eva9011, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    74 likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This is exactly why the jury is still out on the coaching staff for me. Teams are going to put all the coverage on Marshall and Decker and challenge us to find the slot receiver, the tight end, or a running back. I'd say we'd better have 2 of the 3 figured out next year or we're going to be in trouble if we want to continue to win more games.

Bowles and Co did a good job with a much improved roster compared to 2014, I am far more interested in how we see growth from Bowles as a 2nd year head coach.

FJF likes this.
  15. James Hasty

More of a GM issue than a coaching issue. With the injury to Amaro we were left with waiver fodder and Cumberland at TE. After Marshall and Decker there really wasn't much talent at WR. The other guys (including Kerley) had a lot of trouble getting separation from defenders. If Kerley was a quality starter (on a good team) the coaches had little reason to bench him.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

He barely playes. How can you make a blanket statement like he had trouble getting seperation? That's never been a problem for him in the past. He's the only receiver on the roster outside of the top 2 that has proven to be a pro NFL receiver. I'd bet he has no trouble getting a job when we cut him.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bears told Matt Forte they aren't resigning him

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a good fit for the Colts

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I know there's an annoying paranoia around here that every free agent is going to sign in New England, but I think that's the most likely spot for him. They love their cheap veterans and he's the type of player their offense needs.

20. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

If we still draft a RB early then he could be what Tomlinson was..... I'd be Leary about putting too much on his shoulders tho..... He's got a lot of miles on his body and his days as a number one back are done. He needs to go some where that he can be in a committe, not the only guy.