Mel's 1st mock has Jets drafting...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mogriffjr, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know these are highlights, but watch his ability to shrug off blocks from linemen while holding the edge and then make tackles. He is only 6-2 but with some NFL strength training programs he could complement Mauldin very well. JMO

There is a clip at the 3:30 mark where he is holding off a block from Iowa LT Scherff with one arm, while getting to the QB, that's where I started to think this guy could play.

I'm not advocating the Jets should select him with the 20th pick, but just in case the Jets select a OT at 20th and pick this guy in the 3rd round, I would not be upset.

#41 Red Menace, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I think come draft time Noah Spence could sneak into the first round, he's got "character concerns" but this draft class is weak in EDGE rushers and all teams pass rush cause you can never have enough of it

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Red Menace

It's tough, look at Aldon Smith, character is huge, wasn't Noah suspended by his team?

I hope the jets don't select Spence, we need guys who can play the whole season, and not be a distraction to the team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No, my point is that if he's taking this upcoming football season off entirely, then he shouldn't get hurt unless he gets into a car accident or falls down the stairs. So if he gets drafted this year, it's with the knowledge that a team has to wait a year on him. If he waits and declares next season, he gets another year of education under his belt, doesn't play a down of football, gets himself back into football shape, and gets drafted with a team knowing he's close to ready.

6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Spence IMO is the most gifted edge rusher in the class. I don't see how he gets past Arizona in the first round. He could go higher if someone is willing to take the risk.

If he made it to 32, the Browns would have to take him regardless of what they did in the first of who was (realistically) left on the board. I am very confident he is in the first 32.

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Aside from Leonard Floyd the most natural stand up 3-4 pass rusher is Yannick Ngakoue. He is currently around a 3rd round selection. However I can't see him going later than the 2nd round come draft day. Yannick could potentially sneak into the first due to the lack of stand up rushers.

The 3-4 OLB pass prospects are as follows (Day 1 or Day 2)

1. Joey Bosa DL (top 10 pick)
    2. Leonard Floyd OLB
    3. Shilique Calhoun DL
    5. Noah Spence DL/OLB
    4. Jonathan Allen DL
    5. Shaq Lawson DL
    6. Yannick Ngakoue OLB

As you can see only three have experience rushing from standing up. Everyone else is a D-Linemen that never dropped back into coverage and nearly always had their hand in the dirt. Floyd is a top 15 pick hands down, Spence was an OLB with his stint at OSU but went to DE at EKU, and then there is Ngakoue. Not a lot of 3-4 rush backer depth at the top of this draft.

#47 Martin&theJETS, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  8. Red Menace

All of these guys will be taken in the 1st round, you and I discussed Calhoun a little, we have different opinions on him, but I think at 6'5 and 252 lbs he is perfect for a transitional OLB/DE type of hybrid player, Aldon Smith gained some muscle and played the same type of hybrid role.

JMO

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drafting a player undergoing major knee reconstruction is a very dicey move. You have no guarantee that he will make it in the NFL anyway, and on top of that you have no guarantee that even if he could make it prior to the injury that he'll still be able to post-surgery.

jdon and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Nope, no chance. We drafted injury prone DeeMilliner and Dexter McDougle. It didn't work out. Maybe it's our trainers or maybe bad luck but we should try drafting someone without baggage.

ajax and Red Menace like this.
  11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Oline first round, Breno has to go.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

matt robinson 17 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good stuff, but he left off achilles, turf toe, and lisfranc injuries.

TNJet likes this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like boom or bust picks but even this one scares me.. It's both his ACL/MCL and as a pass rusher you need that low Center of gravity, bend and torque to make it around 315 LB OT

This draft is has a lot of solid pass rushers and who knows maybe a guy like Leonard Floyd falls to us..

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Didn't von miller blow out his knee 2 years ago? Looked like it really slowed him down.
    Just sayin

16. NCJetsfan

I hear you, but in your second draft as GM would you roll the dice on him or would you opt for a "safer" or less risky player? The Jets cannot afford a bust of their 1st round pick. The ghost of Gholston lingers around the Jets. Can you imagine the uproar in the fanbase if he takes Smith, Smith is never the same, and winds up retiring after one aborted season?

17. FJF

If the gm is worried about fan uproar while making picks we are doomed anyway

18. NCJetsfan

True, but the fact remains that if he rolls the dice on Smith and misses, Woody may not like it, and he may not have his job for long unless all the rest of his picks pan out to be good-to-great players.

19. FJF

Mac just turned a 4-12 team into a 10-6 team. He has never had more job security than he has right now.
    Also, he can't worry about the fans or the owner 2nd guessing his picks. He has to have conviction, if the drs sign off i would not blame him at all for pulling the trigger.

20. NCJetsfan

I've already said that he shouldn't worry about the fans, and I'm sure he won't, but I doubt any GM is immune to thinking about what his owner thinks of his job performance. I'm not saying that he should worry about it, but it has to be in the back of his mind. He definitely should have a conviction about all of his picks. If Smith is there at #20, and the doctors have signed off that he will be as good as new, then I won't blame Mac for taking him either. If Smith doesn't develop and play up to his potential however, it will be a crushing blow to the team, and will set the timetable back for becoming a legit playoff contender. With a tougher schedule this year, the possibility of losing Mo and/or Snacks, if Mac misses badly on his first round pick, his job security could go down the drain very quickly. I don't think it will because I expect him to do a good job with the cap, FA and the draft.