Yes, this was a successful season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

All I ask is we are extra motivated next year and stay healthy.

I trust Mac to improve the team and Bowles I hope is better in year 2. We need to fire April and get rid of alot of the stench brought from the prior regime.

Kerley, Quigley, Demario Davis, Cumberland, etc...

They are some of the biggest bums in the NFL

Jets_Grinch and dawinner127 like this.
  2. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

They might not have been all in as far as they are good enough to win anything.. But dont fool yourself when you give marshall 9 mil a year and revis 16.. You are all in. judging by revis's play this year i am willing to say the next two years he will be disasterously overpaid. Not to mention we paid fitz almost nothing and if we want to keep him its gonna cost us. Anyway you slice it the fun is over.. The next few years are gonna be brutal.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't think this was a "weak" team. We were flawed in some areas but I think weak is being a little unfair. They could have very easily been an 11 or 12 win team.

I think the Jets missed a big opportunity to do some damage in a wide open AFC this year.

But it was definitely a successful season. We have great talent on offense and our defense is young and will only get better. The Smith injury really hurts because Marshall isnt going to be around forever and the Jets are going to need to develop another player on the outside. The Jets may have to look at the receiver position fairly early again in the draft (rounds 1-3) to address that need. I'm not sure what Smiths time table for return is.

I just really want to see the Jets address the offensive line. It's such a glaring need, I really hope the Jets dont fool themselves into thinking they have a good unit because they didnt allow a lot of sacks.

4. keypusher

keypusher Member

Hey, Jets fans, I've been a Dolphins fan 45 years but I was rooting for you today. You had a good year, I'm sorry about today. Good luck next year.

Bellows1 likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Some fans, for whatever reason, seem to give more weight to offensive numbers. I wonder if anyone would call this season a success if we had the same record but with a bottom half offense like we've had in recent years. Looking at this roster on paper and considering the schedule, I have to say this team underachieved. Based on that I can't label this a successful season.

Chadchrebet likes this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is a semantic difference. When I say all in I am not referring to going for a Super Bowl, I am referring that this team was put together solely for the immediate season and we were all in for what it would do this season. And that team was one game for the playoffs, it was in their direct control and they failed to achieve that goal. Going into this game, the outlook of the team going into week 1 became irrelevant. Their was a clear and tangible achievement of success in front of them and they failed. That makes this season a failure.

MJK and dawinner127 like this.
  7. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

You lost your wager and didn't live up to your word. This is why you didn't get promoted from walmart greeter.

8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

We're not likely to be looking at the same players Rex is. He needs d-linemen that can cover WR's.

Beyond that, I don't give two fucks what Rex does. Time to move on.

GangGreen1960 likes this.
  9. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

Wilkerson should be franchised. He's back next year.

Lam

10. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I don't consider this season a success. I consider it a failure, an absolute failure. The AFC was wide open, we essentially bought a whole new secondary (to play cover 3/4 the entire game against the bills), we had the number 6th overall pick on the defense. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Chris Ivory. Who were our quality wins this year? The Colts and Redskins? That patriots win would have been a different story had they not played ultra conservative, and tossgate. Idk, you lose to teams like Oakland, Houston, Philly, and the Bills twice make me scratch my head. For the amount of money spent, we got a raw deal this year. Next year really is Superbowl or bust. People say wow 10 wins wow. Give me a break, we didn't beat anybody this year, and the schedule was a joke. Look at how the Steelers got to 10 wins, without the best player in the NFL, and HOF QB for a month. They deserve to be in we do not. The season could have been very different but for the Giants stupidity, Dallas outplaying us and Jacksonville also outplaying us.

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Abyz I can appreciate an optimistic outlook, but why can't this wait a week?

The Jets had a fucking GOOD football team! A top 10 defense and offense. The Jets! With a top 10 offense and down-field passing that was fun to watch with some great weapons.

The Jets had a team who seriously could've made a run in the playoffs, nobody in the AFC is head and shoulders above anyone else, and the Jets blew it.

The coaches and players all said this wasn't a successful season because they didn't make the playoffs and will be going home.

Yes, 4 wins to 10 is great. But at the end of the day the Jets had a chance to make the playoffs and they choked.

I'm sure in a week this post will make more sense, but to just "get over it" is a bit weak by you. Blown opportunity.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, you're right that it could have waited a week after the temper tantrums subsided, but by that time I will be completely checked out of football until after the SB and in basketball mode.

I've never denied the blown opportunity, and it would have been a fun team to watch in the playoffs in a year when the level of competition wasn't all that impressive. That just doesn't change anything for me, though. This team overachieved in many areas. The problem is that some of the areas it should have been solid in were lacking.

EcKo151 likes this.
  13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I had to give myself some time before coming on the board because I was red hot yesterday and needed to calm down. I'm still pretty god damn furious that we let that opportunity slip away but here is what I do know:
    -we went from 4 wins to 10 wins in one season
    -I predicated 7 wins and, again, we won 10 games
    -this season gave me more happy moments than bad ones (although this bad one is a pretty damn bad one)
    -we still have a lot of areas that we can improve upon
    -we had a first year GM and a first year HC, so hopefully they both learned things and can get better with time to iron out some of their mistakes

Ultimately I have to agree with the title of this thread. While the ending note is a very low one this was ultimately a very successful season for us. Hopefully we're able to keep some of our core guys together and bring in some new talent and build off this season next year. If so there is no reason we can't compete for first in the AFCE next year.

14. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

From the standpoint of what most people thought before the season began... yes, this has to be considered a successful season for the Jets.

However, from the standpoint of how things actually shook out over the year, I can't imagine not viewing yesterday as an epic disaster. The AFC was as wide open as it has been in forever. There are no standout teams amongst the 6 that made the tourney. I would have put the Jets chances of making a SB run right up there with any of the others... If that had happened, would they have been favored against whomever makes it from NFC? Most likely not. But, one game, anything can happen.

For someone who wants the Jets to never win another SB, this was a major bullet dodged. I think they had a legit chance, at least in AFC. Not to mention this isn't a team set up currently to have a long window of contending. Amazingly, the stars aligned and this Jets team (given some of the FA signings, and outperformance by Fitz, etc) was set up for a "win now" type of season. Until/if you get your franchise QB, not sure you'll have an opportunity as wide open as this years...

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

10-6 is kind of irrelevant... 10-6 some years is good, some years its great, some years its not so good. each season the competition is different. pats missed the payoffs at 11-5 one year because the AFC east played 2 incredibly trash division and the league was down. similar this year. AFC south, NFC east and overall a bad AFC with a ton of injuries.

this season is NOT a success. a success is making the playoffs. i dont think you can call the year a failure, but you certainly cant call it a success either.

angryjetsfan and Chadchrebet like this.
  16. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

No it wasn't.

Played one of the easiest schedules, and only won 10 and when we played a half decent team we got our shit rocked.

17. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

So he will take up a lot of the cap free space and will report for game 6 or is it game 7?

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, man. That sucked and losing to that asshole made it worse.
    I wouldn't call it a success necessarily, but it wasn't a failure..... Whatever, semantics. Not arguing that point

That spot was tough. Buffalo always was at the end of the year, for everybody. Throw in a drastic change in the weather right before the game, after unseasonable warm weather the whole season, and it was a tough fuckin spot on the road.

We lost the playoff spot mid season. During the losing streak. We weren't good enough and you've given plenty of good reasons. Main one being Mac couldn't turn around the whole roster in one off season, and that's what did it in the end. We just weren't deep enough this year

A good season, and a lot of fun, and we were in the hunt the whole year. And Mac turned around one of the worst bottoms the team's had as far as I'm concerned.

Never say die, and thank you to the men that gave their all on the field.

Go Jets!!

19. Christian

Christian Active Member

Very big shame were the only team with a winning record not in the playoffs but at least some bullshit division winner isn't going in at 7-9.

We actually got to see a highly competitive team have playoff hopes in week 17, something we haven't had in like 5 years so it's hard to argue the season was a failure.

I shit on Bowles early on but he seemed to get a lot better as the season progressed.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets really gotta hit on this years draft and hope that next years draft will produce more. Hopefully Williams steps up alongside Devin Smith and Mauldin (should've been playing more from day 1)