Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

If thats the asking price Atlanta is going with for Simmons I think he'll be in a Braves uniform next year.

Not a chance one of our top guys get traded for him. I honestly wouldn't even trade Matz for him. Maybe not even Wheeler.

If we're trading Harvey or any pitcher or that matter it will be out of division for sure and most likely out of the NL.

I still think Boston is our best potential trading partner.

2. irishwhip03

Simmons to the Angels for their top pitching prospect.

Good to have him out of the division.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

IMO, we gotta keep Harvey. We have him under contract for 3 years. He's a franchise player. If the mets trade any of the pitchers it should be Wheeler or Matz. There will be issues with paying all of the pitchers down the road, but we haven't come to that road yet. Matz could collapse and have a crap year next year, we should try to move him while his value is high, IMO. He still has little experience and we simply haven't seen enough.

With that said, we desperately need better in fielding and hitting. It has been sub par for a while. As much as I like D'arnaud, he was exposed big time in the playoffs. He's good behind the plate, but isn't even a remote threat to throw a guy out at 2nd. The Royals knew this going in and stole 2nd every chance they got.

4. irishwhip03

Latest news of the day has the Mets kicking the tires of Zobrist. Not really sure how I feel about the possibility of giving him a 4 year deal. And unless he's coming here to play SS , I wouldnt want him at all.

Two big sluggers have been put out on the market with Freddie Freeman and Todd Frazier. Either one of em would be amazing pickups for us. Frazier could play 1st base too for anyone thinking he would be blocked by Wright. But could also play 3rd obviously on off days for Wright or if he got hurt.

Reds need pitching badly. Wonder if they would take Matz, Montero and Duda for Frazier. Maybe toss in Meija too cause I cant see how he will ever pitch another game in a Mets uniform and Chapman seems to be on his way out of there.

Id offer the same deal for Freeman.

5. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I doubt any team wants the defense and the often-slumping that Duda brings. Sure he has power, but usually it isn't clutch power.

Atlanta wanted Degrom/Harvey AND Conforto for Simmons. I doubt they would accept Matz, Montero(mystery) and Duda for Freeman who is better than Simmons

A 2B combo of Zobrist/Herrera would be real nice in case Herrera's bat doesn't come around so quickly

#6165 nyjetsmets89, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. irishwhip03

Zobrist's versatility is what I like about him. But 4 years for him puts me off.

The difference with Freeman though is he has a monster contract. Simmons was very cheap.

And I think they only wanted either Harvey or deGrom. Never heard Conforto's name for him.

7. nyjetsmets89

Yeah I read somewhere they wanted Conforto in addition to Harvey/Degrom

I would only give Zobrist 3 years

Knowing the Wilpons, the only thing turning them off about Freeman is the contract. He would give us a consistent bat and defense though. I just don't think the Braves would part with him to a division rival unless they got a significant haul in return, and we shouldn't be giving up anyone really. I do want to part with Harvey though as long as it nets us a consistent bat.

Hope we go after Zobrist/Span/Parra in free agency. Is Uribe still under contract with us? I'd like to keep him also

8. irishwhip03

I think Uribe is a FA but I wouldnt mind him back either.

The contract and same division are def two big stop gaps with a potential Freeman deal.

I imagine we'll go after Parra to maybe platoon with Lagares. Span is pretty over the hill IMO. Dexter Fowler would be a better option.

All in all the free agent pool is fairly weak offensively after Cespedes and Upton.

9. nyjetsmets89

Mets have reached out to Parra.

It's nice to see them actually going after guys that we want. Zobrist and now Parra. Hopefully they look for some bullpen guys as well

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Gronkowski got messed up badly, though it looks like N.E. will be 11-0. He is in AGONY.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I like turtles.

_

74 likes this.
  12. DeezNuts

DeezNuts Banned

So, a month after losing in the WS, we've had some time to reflect on the WS loss. So I ask you all:

Who do you blame the most for the Mets losing the WS? Collins? Cespedes? The defense? Someone else entirely? Who's your pick and why?

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can blame it on just one thing. It was a combination of it all. The offense being nonexistent. Murphs brutal errors.

14. JStokes

Simultaneously altogether at once, the offense going cold, bad defense and inexplicable blown saves by our closer.

Had any one of those three not happened, maybe it's a different series.

_

15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Really sad to hear about Sandy being diagnosed with cancer. Undergoing 8-to-12 weeks of chemotheraphy, sounds so brutal. You think back to win he fainted. My prayers are with him.

16. nyjetsmets89

Mets optimistic they'll land Zobrist, probably at 4 years 60 million. Steep for a guy who's 35 but worth it for his defense and contact hitting. Mainly excited for his defense

17. NYGalPal

Looks like I'm one of the few Mets fans who doesn't want Zobrist. Not at his age/price. I'd rather have Murphy.

18. NYGalPal

19. nyjetsmets89

20. JStokes

If that's true--why not just give Cespedes that $20MM? Nobody is signing him. And offer Murph $10MM because no one is even sniffing him.

I want Zobrist--just not for that $$.

_