Training Camp | Day 4 | Twitter Updates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 2, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Bowles presser:
    - All the QBs have done a good job, not turning the ball over. Can't be TOO impressed after just 2 days (in pads) in camp, though.
    - Moving a lot of people around in case guys get injured.
    - Demario runs well, needs to improve technique in coverage.
    - Tweaked hamstring for Mo'. Nothing major.

2. DaBallhawk

Continued:
    - Dumb question from some woman wondering why Bowles doesn't yell around or get too excited or too upset. "This isn't Playstation."
    - Safeties getting a good feel for each other, looking good, they know their assignments.
    - Lots of veterans at ILB, steady group, very professional.
    - Tried OLB Howsare at FB just to have another body there.

That's about it.

3. DaBallhawk

4. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

"This isn't Playstation"

5. DaBallhawk

I think he actually said "PS4". :D

Mauldin is slowly turning into Hulk. Already one of my favorite players:

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

AWESOME. :D

need pics

NYJalltheway likes this.
  7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

YEAR OF THE GENO!!!!!

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

4 DAYS OF THE GENO!!!!!

Big Cat likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We've heard this before ...

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Practice report from today: http://www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1569525-new-york-jets-training-camp-report-aug-2

Best news to hear:

"Something of note in regard to Geno: Last year, for whatever reason, whenever Smith would feel pressure up the middle he would run backwards, then around to the sideline. At times, he would run backwards up to 10 yards. It was bizarre, and not like anything I’ve ever seen any other quarterback do. It looks like that’s a thing of the past now.

One of the areas that has been most impressive with Smith, aside from his decision making, is how he’s been moving in the pocket. He’s done a fine job extending the play with his legs, moving the pocket and then finding open players down the field. Again today, he had a nice outing."

I'll believe it when I see it in an actual game, when linebackers are bearing down on him and he's not wearing a red jersey so people are free to hit him, but of all the maturation he can do that would be the biggest for me. From repeatedly watching his 2014 tape, I found a clear correlation between his pocket movement and his success throwing the ball. When he was stepping up and sliding laterally, he put on his better games. When he panicked and ran backwards or became a statue, he was horrible.

Eliminating the backwards sprint from his game would be a huge step forward, figuratively and literally.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

definitely a different game when that red jersey comes off, but its a good sign none the less. it's one of the main things that separates good qbs from bad ones.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. Big Cat

I think the term "pocket passer" has really gotten into Geno's head. It seems like all of these mobile/running quarterbacks that come out of college are indiscriminately determined to prove to everyone that they can be a "pocket passer", so much so that I even recall Geno using that term to describe himself in a press conference during his rookie year. Yet I don't think they truly understand the meaning of that term until they get a feel for the game.

When you think of prototypical "pocket passers", guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees or Matt Ryan come to mind. One thing that sets those guys apart is that they actually do the most moving within the pocket out of any quarterbacks in the league. Especially with Brees, he's always sliding up through the pocket or side stepping defenders. Moving within the pocket allows them to not only avoid sacks, but also to extend the play so they can go through their progressions and get to that 2nd, 3rd read or allow receivers time to get open. Actually, moving even encourages them to get through their progressions as they may pick up a new receiver in their line of sight as they move laterally.

When I watch film of Geno, Kaepernick and RG3 I see guys who try so hard to be "pocket passers" that they stand completely still while they're making their reads. They become absolutely fixated on their mark with no regard to the rush. When they learn that they can still move without being a "running quarterback"' is when they are the most effective. I saw a lot more of that down the stretch last year from Geno and it's encouraging that it's still evident in the early stages of training camp. Hopefully it can show up Weeks 1-12 instead of just 12-16.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My only problem with that theory is that Geno was NOT a running QB in college. The Jets had to encourage him to run and brought in Vick to help mentor him in that regard. While that may be true for Kaepernick and RG3, it isn't for Geno.

NotSatoshiNakamoto and n3putts like this.
  14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol i've been saying YOTG for a while now..way before camp.. this is just the beginning!

15. Big Cat

While people who follow closely know that he wasn't much of a runner at WVU, as an African American who ran a 4.59 at the combine he was labeled in the eyes of some, including the media. NFL.com's draft scouting report alludes to his running ability as "having the speed to break off big runs" and "testing the defense".

I think he was eager to drop the stigma of being another black running quarterback, which he never really was in the first place.

16. Big Cat

I think he's always been conflicted on the term himself. In a press conference his rookie year, he publicly said "I want to be a pocket passer."

Then later in the season he said:
    '"I've never said I was a pocket passer," Smith said. "I'm effective from the pocket, but I can run as well. That's kind of the point I've been trying to push all along is that I'm not a quarterback you can put in a box.'

I think he's been searching for an identity as to who he is as a quarterback; hopefully he's found it.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That makes more sense to me with regards to Geno.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Smith was always a pocket passer. He was never a Kaepernick/RG 3 type by any means. He never ran at all in college and it was Rex & Morningwood that tried to bring that part of his game out. The problem was that he struggled with dropping back and setting in the pocket, fundamentally. But standing there and throwing from the shotgun was always his style.

edit- didnt see this follow up post. good post, I agree

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Didn't you know black=mobile?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We have a black QB "pocket passer" and his top target is a quick white WR. fuck you stereotypes!!!