Tom Brady suspended for four games Overturned!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

Misdirection? It's math.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

there have been 30 pages of posts in this shitty topic since I last checked it.

I wonder what you guys have been talking about for the past 30 pages... wait no I don't.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

My mother would be very unhappy with me if I was SteveGrogan.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes, Your Honor there's a pair of size 11 kicks and some worn ass-less chaps in your chambers...
    Very?

As opposed to the garden variety regular unhappy she is with the Dierking brand?

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It's a misdirection to deflect accountability. When in all actuality of the balls were within range, it never would have been an issue

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

6. SteveGrogan

So then the Colts are guilty as well? Interesting angle.

7. SteveGrogan

That doesn't exactly mean she's happy with you now. Not mutually exclusive, just sayin'.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

And still they deny, deflect, and accuse. It's astounding the idiocy and blind homerism that exists in Chowdahland over this. A simple admission and acceptance of league punishment is all that was needed. They would still be labeled cheaters with ****, but this wouldn't have drug on for so long and the penalties wouldn't be nearly as severe. Hanging onto these arguments that the Colts are cheaters too, or the refs are at fault, or that the ball boys were on a weight loss challenge, or Brady destroys his phones every 4 months despite having a meeting with investigators who have asked for his phone, or saying this is about the fairness of the process, makes them look absurdly stupid and desperate. Just stop it.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're wrong about that too, Grogan. Any negotiations would be held privately and only decisions would be announced in open court. If negotiations break down, the arguments may eventually be heard in open court but that is certainly not what the judge would want to hear and not what would be heard in August.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't defend unethical behavior, I'm right with my mom.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Eff Pete Carroll for not running Lynch at the goal line.

PFT is making it sound like Brady's suspension will get reduced if not completely overturned. All it took was a lot of whining and taking the case to court. From now on I hope every player who feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime does the same. Adrian Peterson lost nearly a season of his career for a misdemeanor in 2014. Sucker!!!

Goodell is impotent.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If Goodell was going to reduce or eliminate the suspension he already would have.

He knew Brady was going to court, that's why the NFL filed preemptively.

Why do that if he was just going to drop the suspension.

_

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Unless he is using the courts to do something he would be crucified for. Why lower it/drop it if you can get someone else to do it...and still look like the tough guy? I dont know..but the courts? I cant see them ever upholding things like this. Im probably giving the courts too much power...but it smells when a judge says he wants the two to work it out. Stinks.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

All judges do that. They would prefer for the sides to compromise so they don't have to (i) listen to the case and (ii) make a decision.

Brady will accept nothing but complete elimination of the suspension so Goodell will be able to say he was willing to negotiate (maybe a game or two) but Brady was not being reasonable.

I think there's a fairly good chance the whole thing is upheld but at the very least 2 games.

And as long as it's at least one, Brady will for all times be known as a lying cheating scumbag.

_

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Exactly! -- I just think the Judge is just plain wrong for putting that out there. It implies that he wants some sort of compromise, when either the NFL is justified in its suspension or not.

Although I do not think they will be able to work it out because I do not think Tommy boy is going to settle for any amount of games and Goodell is not letting him off without anything.

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Brady went over Goodell's head by taking it to court. We already know what the league believes the proper punishment is (4 games) any reduction or elimination of the suspension will happen because of pressure from or direct action from the judge/court.

You tell me what this looks like to you. To me it looks like Brady's suspension will be reduced in half OR completely overturned.:(

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/01/judge-berman-takes-full-control-of-brady-case/

Judge Berman takes full control of Brady case
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Some judges don’t get directly involved in trying to settle a case. Some do.

And some of the judges who get directly involved in the efforts to settle a case make it very clear to the parties that the judge is determined to settle the case. When that happens, the case usually settles.

In 18 years of practicing law, I never saw an order like the one Judge Richard M. Berman issued to the NFL and the NFLPA on Friday. Below, I’ll explain how I would interpret it, if I was representing either the NFL or the NFLPA in this case.

Posted on Twitter by Raffi Melkonian, a Texas lawyer who has been posting various court filings to date in the case, the full order reads as follows:

“Thank you for your letter, dated July 31, 2015. I found it helpful. It is ‘OK’ to file a public version of the answer and counterclaim as you request. I always have considerable difficulty approving any sealed documents, given the keen public interest in these matters and the public’s right to know. It’s up to you whether to file any sealed motions or sealed document applications at this time.

“I have two further suggestions. First, because I already have a good understanding of your positions from your submissions to date, you need only each file a 15 page double spaced memo (further supporting your positions) by August 7, 2015. In the nature of a reply brief, perhaps.

“Second, I am scheduling a status/settlement conference for Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:00 a.m., with your principals (including, without limitation, Mr. Goodell and Mr. Brady). Let’s see what we can accomplish at that conference and if there is a need for more written submissions, the August 14, 2015 submission date you propose is fine.

“I am also scheduling a status/settlement/oral argument conference for Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 10:00 a.m., again with your principals (including, without limitation, Mr. Goodell and Mr. Brady). Please jointly confirm all dates by 3:00 p.m. on Monday, August 3, 2015. . . .

“Lastly, I request that you all engage in comprehensive, good-faith settlement discussions prior to the conference on August 12, 2015. Magistrate Judge James C. Francis, IV is available to assist you if you wish.”

First, it’s clear that the judge has been studying the case and knows the issues. He probably already has an idea regarding how he would rule on the case; there’s really not much either side can do to change his mind in only 15, double-spaced pages.

Second, he’s determined to get the case settled. By directing the two sides to engage in “comprehensive, good-faith settlement discussions” before the first of not one but two settlement conferences with Judge Berman presiding, he expects the parties to arrive at the first conference with their latest settlement positions clearly established (e.g., NFL at a two-game suspension and an acknowledgement of guilt and Brady at a two-game fine and no acknowledgement of guilt). At that point, Judge Berman will then have two opportunities to pressure the side that needs to be pressured the most (and it possibly will be both sides that need pressure) to resolve the case before he issues a ruling.

Third, the invitation to utilize the services of Magistrate Judge James C. Francis IV to assist in any settlement talks before August 12 isn’t an invitation. If they don’t take Judge Berman up on the offer, he won’t be happy — unless they can settle the case without using Judge Francis as the facilitator/mediator of settlement discussions over the next 11 days.

Fourth, and as surmised on Friday, Judge Berman expects Goodell and Brady to appear in court for both conferences on August 12 and 19. Whoever resists showing up on either of those days does so at his own peril.

For Brady, it will mean missing two days of work. Although the team’s training-camp schedule hasn’t been announced beyond August 3, August 12 comes one day before the preseason opener against the Packers, at Gillette Stadium. On August 19, the Patriots will be in the middle of a three-day visit to West Virginia, for joint practices with the Saints.

For Goodell, it will mean shuffling whatever schedule he already has in place for those days. The NFL’s lawyers will likely tell him that nothing is more important than showing up for the conferences with Judge Berman.

Fifth, it’s clear that Judge Berman won’t be inclined to keep any documents under seal, based on this sentence: “I always have considerable difficulty approving any sealed documents, given the keen public interest in these matters and the public’s right to know.” In other words, the full transcript of the Tom Brady appeal hearing eventually will be released, if the case isn’t settled.

That’s a win for the NFLPA and Brady. Although the NFL would say that the parties agreed to seal the transcript, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the NFLPA agreed to seal the transcript at the insistence of the NFL.

The best way to keep the transcript from ever being released to the public (barring a leak) would be to settle the case before the judge has to decide whether to approve the filing of the transcript under seal. And Judge Berman knows that. And now the NFL and NFLPA know that he knows that.

I’m tempted to think the case could settle this week, without Goodell and Brady having to appear before Judge Berman. But if the two sides are at an impasse over whether a settlement would include a suspension of any duration, it won’t be easy to break that log jam without getting an idea of how Judge Berman feels about what amounts to an all-or-nothing proposition in court.

Eventually, Judge Berman may have to privately inform the side against which he’s inclined to rule that it will either accept the best deal it can get, or it will get nothing and like it.

egelband and Ralebird like this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

18. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

Shady has had many attempts now to show some remorse, but, sadly his ego and his contempt for the Rules will send him down into the annuls of sports shame

It's simply delicious

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I...lol...maybe Im just getting to old for this shit. A society that takes breaking rules as no big deal. That has the mindset of "if Brady had just said sorry and he thought the balls were at the bottom of the allowed pressure...none of this would have happened". Its me. It has to be me. To be this furious when all the attention is being put on settlements...phones being destroyed...privacy....courts.

F it all. This is about trying to gain an advantage in a huge game. 3-0 or 47-7. Score means nothing to me. Whether they took air out of one ball..or 11 out of 12. Means nothing. They tried to gain an advantage that day by making the balls easier to grip, pass and catch..compared to the team on the other side. PERIOD.

The fact that Brady and the Patriots have even steered this away from that FACT is mind-boggling. F the courts...F Goodell for not saying EVERYDAY what I typed above. EVERYDAY they should have said the same thing. A franchise, that stinks up the smell detector over the past 13 years, was caught again doing something to try to gain advantage that day. Whether it was Brady...a ball boy...or God. Somehow, they were able to do something to a football that no other team has ever been accused of. NOT ONE.

God Bless the Jet fans that flew that banner over their facility. Wish I had the money to do myself everyday of the week. They are cheaters....they deserve not one crumb of "not guilty until proven innocent". Not a f'in crumb. From that scumbag cheating lying coach to the QB who thankfully will never be liked outside of New England.

Anyone that says it was not a big deal has never played a football game in their life.

Incredible.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Admit that all your SB's are tainted by cheating. There is logic for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.