Hope Petty is the guy, but if we draft a QB in 2016

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I see the tools and they're very intriguing and has moments and plays where he looks as if he's a top ten pick; like Hackenberg, his inconsistency scares me. His celling is Flacco , IMO, and that is not a bad thing, since Flacco has been a competent QB for much of his career. I'm higher on Flacco than most, but I'm not sure if that's a guy I take in the top ten of a draft class that projects to be deep . I don't dislike Cook's game, but the top ten talk seems rich to me. I understand the first round talk, especially since players such as Ponder and Locker have gone in round one. Regardless, I hope Goff, Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, Cook, Jermey Johnson (really small sample size, but limitless potential) Keil, and Kessler all have great seasons. The potential of Geno imploding is probably the main reason why I've tried to get a first impression of most of these players. I'm not sure the top of this QB draft class will be great, but it's definitely going to be deep and we should be able to pick a guy in round one or two, if Geno is terrible.

I've been wrong many times and I hope Cook proves me wrong this season.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't view him as a top 10 pick right now, I would say top 20. That's fine by me though. This guy is way better than Ponder or Locker. This class has some talent, I hope all of them improve and declare next season.

All of the QBs have inconsistencies. None of them are can't miss prospects.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't see a sure-fire pick like Andrew Luck. I don't want any of the QB kids in 1st round. MAYBE in 2nd round, but none in 1st.

And I am indeed intrigued by this Petty kid. If he is worth a damn, he WILL hear the naysayers who say [he ain't going to make it in the big league.] Let's see how he responds.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah--I'm going to watching all of there guys a lot right now.

Hack I hate. Cook I'm meh. Goff I'm intrigued but he could be another Gabbert. Prescott is not a QB. Cardale I don't think anyone has any idea.

And I'm really hoping Petty is the guy. Love his arm, his physicality, his makeup. I could see him being a fan favorite for a long time.

_

5. 101GangGreen101

he wont make it, spread QBs just don't translate its a curse

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

At least he is not starting, like GeNO did. He should be able to use that time to learn some real quarterbacking, no?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It took 8 years after the class of 2004 for another guy to be a no-brainer #1 at QB. We probably are waiting until 2019 for the next one. Guys with that much potential just don't come along very often.

Both of the two guys in the category recently have had powerful fathers who knew QBing pushing the vibe. The third guy back in 1998 (6 year gap) also.

8. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely, a lot of the spread QBs are being thrown in the fire right away. Mariota, GeNO, RG3. Wilson isn't classified as a spread QB. Kaepernick needs a big year this year. Petty could be different, if developed properly.

I think we as Jet fans are too much in love with finding the next Andrew Luck or that high classed QB - we can win tons of games with a middle of the pack QB.

That's why I am intrigued by the potential prospects this yr.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'll throw out a name

A guy nobody knows about right now that I think could become a good pro QB is Colorado's Sefo Liufau. He's very big and athletic. The guy will come into the draft having taken the reigns for at least 3 years on a very undermatched team full of freshman and sophomores. He's been challenged and is tough. And they have him chuck it all game. He's improved a lot and was a bright spot for that team last year.

I could see him having a big 2015 and making a name for himself. Its possible he might not declare though and might be a 2017 draft prospect which might be good for him anyway. but he's worth keeping an eye on.

ajax, 101GangGreen101 and Ozymandias like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-hackenberg-easily-a-topfive-nfl-draft-pick

Hackenberg was in a tough spot last year. That was evident, but if he has a big year he's going to declare. Can't wait for college football.

11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Seeing that the season might be lost before it started, lets hope that one of Cook, Hackenberg, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, or Goff steps up. Barrett is the only one that has impressed me last season

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  12. Admittedly I'm an MSU fan but I am usually down on their QBs as NFL prospects.

I think Connor Cook would be absolutely perfect for what the Jets current team structure needs long term at QB. He's been a great leader for Sparty & has lead a lot of great comebacks. He does have spotty accuracy but can make every throw..and almost always makes the key play in the clutch. He's got pretty good pocket awareness w/ good size to boot 6'4 220.

He's what I'd call a classic northeast cold weather QB.Something I believe the Jets have been missing since Chad. Cook plays for a team that is a similar structure to that of the Jets. Defensive,big up front, want to establish the run for play action.Coming in & leading this team would be an easy transition for him. No he isn't Andrew Luck or the next Tom Brady..but he can be a Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan level player. When you consider that w/ the above he's the perfect fit.

I highly doubt he goes top 5 unless Sparty runs the table to the championship game..

If the Jets could get him to compete w/ Petty..and hell I'll even throw in Geno...that's a talented & intriguing 3 way battle.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If we are drafting a QB in rounds 1 or 2 next year I hope Geno is in the CFL.

--

14. 101GangGreen101

I've been thinking the same exact thing. Cook has the tendency to throw the football off-balance which leads to some inaccurate throws, but the guy can make any throw in the book; he's just got that effortless like release. It's quick release and he's got a strong arm, not stronger then Cardale Jones but it's easily NFL caliber.

I hope all of the QBs have good to decent seasons and if we were to go 8-8 we could be in position to draft a QB like Connor Cook. Perfect fit for the Jets. Good leadership qualities and the guy is a gamer. That's what the Jets need, you don't need to have the best QB in the league, but a top 13-15 QB, consistently for 10+ years? Absolutely would take.

I think Geno would get cut from the team ultimately, if this were to happen. Cook, Petty and a Veteran.

He's got a better arm than Cousins, or Hoyer - Foles remember was recruited by MSU as well. I like his NFL comparison to Carson Palmer, but his footwork wasn't nearly as good as Palmer at this stage.

#34 101GangGreen101, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  15. Yeah raw talent wise...I don't see Palmer. Palmer had better arm talent & was a better athlete. Not to mention Palmer is arguably the quintessential "west coast" QB which playing style directly conflicts w/ the notion that Connor Cook is built for the Northeast. However, I agree they may have similar careers production wise.

I knew I'd get backlash for including Geno.I just like the idea of flooding a long time problem position w/ different levels of young talent. While Geno has not panned out & certainly is a "different" cat...he still has raw talent to work w/ & would push both Petty & Cook.

16. 101GangGreen101

Just the way they both throw the football, to me it reminds me a little of Palmer. Both have that effortless like release, gets the ball out quickly. I think Cook has sneaky athleticism too. He's no sitting duck in the pocket. If you remember, Palmer was playing on a run first team himself back in Cincy.

I don't think there's enough reps to go around if you have Geno / Cook and Petty but it would make for an interesting competition.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I just want to see what Petty shows tonight and I hope to hell nobody gets hurt..I'm still really surprised we don't have a new QB yet and as every day goes by it makes me think we are trying to make a trade.

18. I can see the comparison with the release.

Bare in mind im comparing them as college prospects. I'm recalling what I rememeber of Palmer as a prospect. Which is interesting b/c I thought the guy had bust written all over him based on his inconsistent college career & the fact that his WR's at USC would be wide open w/ 10 yards to spare. He never threw through any windows & rarely had to go through progressions.

That said he was an elite athlete for his time/the fact that he's a pocket QB. He was a fluid athlete & he ran in the sub 4.7's.

Cook is not a BAD athlete & has some agility to him but he's not running below a 4.9 & I wouldn't call him "Fluid".

I will say that he's ALOT tougher than Palmer was coming out.

19. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Cook apparently ran a 4.6 and an unofficial 4.5 coming into college. Now he's obviously quite a bit heavier, but his athleticism is underrated. I can see him running around a 4.7 after prepping for the combine. When he tucks the ball he runs with caution, never really tries to take off.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. If he ran that fast I stand corrected. I still don't think he's on Palmer's level movement wise...and not just ball carrying but backpedaling out of pocket, side stepping pressure,etc...he just isn't as smooth off the snap. But hey, if he runs as fast as Palmer good for him...I was wrong.