Sheldon Richardson suspended 4 game, Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by scott dierking II, Jul 2, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that it's non habit forming. Look at all the players who know they risk not being drafted, or once in the NFL risk being suspended and losing millions of dollars, but still use it. That's not just a matter of their being stupid.

2. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

The whole thing is stupid. In 3-5 years every yuppy/trendy neighborhood in this country will have a retail store that sells weed. In 10 years there will be more weed stores than liquor stores in New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If I am making life changing money like he is, I would do whatever it takes to not screw that up. These kids have never had to work a real job. They believe rules don't apply to them.

FJF, RuJFan and strngplyr like this.
  4. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

And it still won't be legal inside the work place, and you'll still get fired/suspended for smoking it anywhere important. Rules are rules. Laws and rules aren't always the same thing. You can't always get what you want. And you won't always find that you get what you need.

How many work places is alcohol accepted at? The biggest difference is that alcohol leaves your body quicker.

If you need it you're addicted.

#224 strngplyr, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  5. strngplyr

Pretty much this. Yeah, they risk their bodies, sometimes their minds, but they do this to only work for maybe 10 years of their lives.

If you're already risking your lively hood for money, why risk your paycheck as well by breaking the rules? Are you really so weak that you can't avoid smoking it up? Harmless or not, it's a choice to smoke, and 90% of the people who smoke pot claim it isn't addictive, yet you're so "not addicted" that you risk your multi-million dollar career (over a very short time span) to get high.

Sounds addictive.

6. strngplyr

If you literally can't NOT drink with your friends then you have an alcohol problem. Get yourself checked, not hitting up the bar or buying a bottle isn't hard to do. And I love me a drink pretty often. I can still choose not to whenever the hell I want.

7. GreenInTheBowl

While I agree that pot is addictive, you also have to consider that it is more of a psychological addiction than a physical one. People don't get violently ill when they quit smoking weed because their bodies aren't chemically dependent on it like with alcohol, heroin, crack, etc. Stoners can never claim to have had major withdrawal symptoms, and are therefore given less slack. Why do you think all of these pot offenders are being scorned while they're practically throwing a parade out in Cleveland for Johnny rehab?

Since it's more of a mental dependency, quitting the reefer all comes down to will-power, and sadly Sheldon has shown us that he has none. A pity too because I like him as a player far more than Wilkerson but now he becomes an instant liability and we'll probably go with Mo for the long term.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

These morons know when they're getting tested and yet they still fail.

TNJet likes this.
  9. jxc

jxc Active Member

As a Jet fan, it feels weird having a well stocked roster. A key player will miss four games and it's not really a big deal? That's kind of cool.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Its not like he was caught sparking up on his way into practice. I give zero fucks what he does in his free time so long as he's on his a game when the whistle blows.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

There's no way that taking a couple of hits during leisure time is equal to cheating on the field.

Let's be realistic.

THAT SAID.
    When in rome, follow roman laws...

ajax, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Note to the players: Get your money. Play for the love of the game or the love of the money but never for the love of the fans...fans only love ya for a few seasons then... they be on to the next one.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Brady cheats to win the Superbowl he gets 4 games.....Sheldon tests positive for weed and gets 4 games?wtf

Royal Tee and TNJet like this.
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm sure NFL players all over the country are reading this and taking notes

15. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

The whole thing is stupid. In 3-5 years every yuppy/trendy neighborhood in this country will have a retail store that sells weed. In 10 years there will be more weed stores than liquor stores in New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal Tee likes this.
  16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Dumb decision.

Good thing we're bursting at the seams with top talent on the d-line or I'd be much angrier.

Oh and PLEASE re-sign Wilkerson.

17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Is another violation a year suspension? That's what worries me more than anything. He clearly can't control himself knowing he would be suspended 4 games so why should we believe he all of a sudden will be able to with a year looming.
    Problem is with multiple violations and the possibility of a year next time his trade value is in the toilet. He could be our Josh Gordon. Sucks

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

What about that some players will choose NOT to be pot heads--they are disadvantaged because other players choose to smoke pot.

HGH/steroids/other performance enhancers are legal with a prescription. But some players will always choose to play clean. The league will not make performance enhancers permissible even with a prescription because it advantages those players and DISADVANTAGES those who choose to remain clean.

Same thing with pot. If the league makes it permissible--it will advantage players that choose to smoke and disadvantage players who choose not to be pot heads.

It would be unfair to a set of players.

_

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol - I didn't know only black people smoke weed ...

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't think it meets the medical definition of addictive but in terms of psychological dependency, it is very hard to kick. If in fact this the 4th time he has tested positive, I don't see how he can stop himself unless he can find another drug to substitute or maybe something like anti-anxiety medication.

I'm still not totally convinced he tested positive 4x since he would have been fined several game checks in the interim. The way he's vowing that it was a one-time mistake makes me think it may be something else. The full story had not come out yet.