Hope Petty is the guy, but if we draft a QB in 2016

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Another time filler while waiting for the season to start.

Smith is not the guy and I never wanted the Jets to draft him. I hope Petty will be the answer but it might be a couple years before we know. I think the Jets should draft a QB each year until we get our guy. Not 1st or 2nd rounders, but at least someone, just like we did this year with Petty.

Here are my thoughts vs the Pro writers: The most recent ranking I saw listing and projection for the top six is below.

Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 234.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.87.
    Projected Round (2016): 1-2.
    Some have said he may be the best NFL QB in his draft, but I don't see it. I reviewed Hackenberg's tape and he has slow feet and stands like a statue, many times flat footed and benefiting from WIDE open receivers. The number of double coverage passes he gets away with just because of bad defensive play is amazing. He can throw the long ball, but his receivers made them look better than he was.

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 218.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
    Projected Round (2015): 1-2.
    Interesting player, but if you can't get higher than a 58% completion rate in college you are in for a rough time, and we shouldn't be expecting any better in the NFL. Aside from his accuracy issue, he is a good pocket QB with mobility. He played more plays under center than any other QB, and by a big margin. He is able to read defenses and audible plays. Should be the 1st QB off the board, but the accuracy percentage won't improve when playing against NFL DBs. Hopefully this year he will improve on consistency and warrant the top pick.
    *Cook completed 58 percent of his passes in 2014 for 3,214 yards with 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Jonathan Goff, QB, California
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 210.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
    Projected Round (2016): 1-3.
    Watched tape on Goff and what I saw was a thin guy who needs to put on 20 lbs. and like to run when he feels pressure. While watching him play USC and Northwestern last season he never took a single play from under center, Well one, if you count a quick snap QB sneak for a yard. Watch how many times his receivers fall to the ground while making catches or trying to. A lot of his passes are high, low or behind. He has no real noticeable zip on the ball and does not throw a pretty spiral. Far too many of his passes are lobs, ducks and wobbling. He does have good feet in the pocket, but that’s it.

Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
    Projected Round (2016): 1-3.
    NO raw Ohio State QBs please!

Cody Kessler, QB, USC
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 210.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
    Projected Round (2015): 3-4.
    NO! Some of you have mentioned Cody Kessler, to that I say, “haven’t you seen enough of USC QBs failing in the NFL?”

Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
    Watched a few of Hogan's games and he takes quite a few snaps from under center and is required to read defenses. Two things most QBs in college are not required to do. Has a strong arm with some good zip on passes when needed. A smart individual with good demeanor and leadership.

We won't be in a spot to get Cook and I'm happy about it, but I say if Geno is horrible again, I would take a mid-round gamble on Hogan. I think he could be the best of the group, but like Petty, he would take some time.

rohirrim665 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I hate Hack.

He's a hack.

_

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Too early to evaluate QBs at this stage - they will all improve on their previous yr IMO. Cook, Jones and Hack look to be the best prospects.

Petty won't be the answer, hope we get Cook somehow though.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

The football gods won't allow petty to be the QB answer for the jets so we will be drafting one next year.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Funny that you just started this thread; I've been watching the top 4 QBs these last 2 days.

In short, I want no part of Cardale or Hack; I'm really not impressed by either of them. Cook is very intriguing but he's wildly inconsistent, he'll have times where he flashes absolute brilliance and others where he can't hit the blind side of a barn. My favorite is Goff. I think if he can put on a little weight it will help him out tremendously, hopefully an extra 15 pounds can even add that extra 'zip' on the ball. I love his feet and his pocket movement, he seems decent in going through his progressions and is nicely accurate, as well. Obviously everything can change after they play their next season, but history is against QBs who only excel in the later years of college.

I'll go watch Hogan, now that you mention him.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

After Marcus and Winston, Petty was by far my favorite QB in college FB last year.

While I've never been an advocate of grabbing a guy in rounds 3-7 as a developmental guy, I think I have convinced my self that Petty actually could be a real player. Great arm, great leader, mobile but not a running QB, accurate, smart, big kid--biggest issue is the system he came from.

But at some point I think OCs and going to work these guys into systems slowly and within a few years they will be the whole package.

Having said that, I'll be watching all the QBs this year.

I really dislike Hack and I need to see a lot more of Cardale before I'm convinced.

I watched a lot of Cook last year and wasn't overly impressed but I'm giving him this year to convince me.

Honestly haven't watched a lot of Goff and Hogan but they are firmly on my radar screen this year.

Please no Dak Prescott.

_

7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

cook and hackenberg both have a lot of potential imo but they both have things they need to improve on

Cardale has ridiculous physica talent but i wanna see him perform at a high level for a whole season

Im excited to watch kessler and kiel this year i like both of them.

Need to watch tape on goff

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Interesting, I took you as a Dak Tebo..Prescott guy.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree that Goff needs to put on weight and add zip to his ball. Also he has nice foot work unlike Hackenberg who has terrible foot movement. Goff does go through his progressions, but runs a lot if pressured and NEVER plays from under center. In the NFL half the game is played from under center and many college QBs never pick it up. Golf completed 62 percent of his passes for 3,973 yards with 35 touchdowns and seven interceptions last year. These are system stats, just like Geno had system stats in college.

Hogan has the bigger arm, literally and does play in a NFL style offense where even in a pro system completed 66% of his passes last year. College QB numbers in a spread offense are inflated and require a lot less reading defenses. The spread is a reactionary offense, where you place your QB back to give him better view of the field and extra time to see how the defense reacts after the ball is snapped. I want a QB who can read defenses prior to the snap by the way the defense lines up, there fore able to audible if necessary.

Right now Cook and Hogan are my favorite QBs, but we will have to see how the year goes. But since both have already started two years and have plenty of tape, plus the other QBs mentioned will still be playing in the non-pro systems, I don't think my mind will change.

10. 101GangGreen101

Hogan has a slow ass delivery, and isn't all that impressive. Completion percentage does not tell you how accurate a QB is.

He doesn't do anything well compared to Cook and Hackenberg.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I completely changed my mind about "wanting no part of Hackenberg". His 2013 tape is astronomically better than 2014. I'm really interested to watch him this season; if the offensive line really was the major problem last year, as many have speculated, he could easily be a top 5 pick in next year's draft.

12. 101GangGreen101

He also had Allen Robinson and Bill O'Brien [Texans HC]. I've always known about Hackenberg's abilities - he's got it all. Last yr, he had 0 help. If he has a good yr this year, he will prob declare and will be the first QB potentially taken.

I hope all of the QBs have a good year, I have a feeling we could be in position to take one.

13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones has the arm to play in New York/New Jersey come playoff time and thats something I've always been big on. Either way I think Petty gets a shot unless by some chance we suck so bad we have a shot at one of the top prospects or if one of them falls to us.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Fail for Cardale!!!

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

After watching a few games, I'm not a fan of Connor Cook at all. His arm isn't as great as advertised , and he's an inefficient passer who struggles greatly with ball placement and accuracy; terrible footwork as well. He'll display good pocket movement , eye level and then absolutely whiff on a throw... he doesn't finish enough plays well enough for my liking. He reminds me of Andy Dalton with a stronger arm. You see the flashes with Hackenberg, but part of me wonders if his success was due to the brilliance of Bill O Brien .I understand his OL issues and system issues, but no top prospect should fall off to his degree. Jared Goff's supporting cast was just as bad, but he performed signficantly better than Hackenberg. Routinely late on throws when defenses are in cover two and his ball placement on screens is probably the worst I've ever seen from a top prospect . Amazing arm strength, but his decision making and overall feel for the game, reminds me of a poor mans Matthew Stafford.

It's really early, but the Quarterbacks that have impressed me the most have been Goff and Cardale to a certain extent(sample size isn't enough yet). If Goff gets stronger and improves his arm strength ( my biggest knock on him so far), he'll be a very good Quarterback for years to come.

#15 BigSnacks54, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    joe likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Agreed (thus far). Hackenberg and Cook imho are underwhelming.

As for the skinny malink Goff, we'll just have to see how he pans out (and hopefully fills out).

FYI: Goff's Cal Bears WRs will have a new coach this upcoming season with Pierre Ingram (fired after getting busted in a prostitution ring :eek: wtf?) being replaced by Sonny Dykes.

#16 joe, Jul 29, 2015
  17. 101GangGreen101

I've seen him every game he's ever played. I think you are off in regards to your scouting report.

His footwork is inconsistent which leads to him missing some throws he should make. This has nothing to do with his ball placement skills, he can make every throw and anticipate a receiver being open. He has made a few just head scratching errors in big games (pick sixes v stanford and baylor), however, he was able to shake off mistakes and help the team win, hence the bowl win.

He does a decent job going through his progressions. If he works on his footwork and eliminating the boneheaded play he has all the tools you want from a qb, size, arm, leadership, not a runnner but can move a little bit, really good pocket awareness. Still has much to improve on, but the foundation is already established.

I think you should watch more games. Watch this season.

18. 101GangGreen101

More spread QBs? Awesome.

joe likes this.
  19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I've watched five Connor Cook games to get a first impression ... it's the same issues and his Bowl game as a whole was terrible. Connor Cook plays with a weird base that causes him to throw off balance, leading to inaccurate throws and ball placement issues. I don't harp on mechanics, but he's worked with a QB "guru" in Whitefield and he still has the same issues. Yes, he'll have his moments where he throws an excellent pass down the field, but he's extremely inconsistent. Every top 15 QB in the NFL can make all the throws... regardless I don't place too much emphasis on arm strength; he has a really good arm, but it's not on Hackenberg's level. He does just enough to entice you, but he makes multiple decisions and throws throughout the game to scare you. When he has no edge pressure, he does a very good job of scanning the field , but once you're able to generate consistent edge pressure he panicks and fails to negate it with subtle pocket movements . I' m not saying he's terrible, but based on his play last season, I wouldn't take him in the first round. As I said before, he'll slide left in the pocket avoid pressure step up and throw an inaccurate pass down the field. He does one or two things well in a play, but he doesn't finish them off. In a deep draft class (like next year's) I'd be much more comfortable taking him in the middle of round two.

Obviously, my opinion is not set in stone. It's July and I'm sure a ton will change as the college season progresses.

#19 BigSnacks54, Jul 29, 2015
  20. 101GangGreen101

Understandable, not destroying your opinion - I am a fan of Cook, I think he's going to be a good QB in the NFL.

Cook was great on that last drive after playing like crap earlier that game. He threw the game winning TD.

Everything in regards to Cook is stemmed from footwork issues; definitely needs to be fixed, but he has all of the tools. He has a first round grade right now IMO, many scouts feel the same way. Cook can definitely make all of the throws, there's inconsistencies, but that can be coached up. His delivery is effortless. He has good arm strength, it's prob in the same class as Winston. I like Cook because he's a leader, doesn't give up, and knows the pro style concepts. He won't be a superstar / elite QB, but I think he's a QB you can def win w/

If Geno shits the bed this year, we might end up getting a Cook, Hackenberg, Jones, etc.

BigSnacks54 likes this.