Would you trade Wilkerson for Rivers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetastic, May 27, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see why Carolina would want to do it either, but they may be faced with losing Cam and getting nothing but a 3rd round compensatory pick in exchange, if they don't trade him. I read in my local NC newspaper a month or so that Cam was VERY unhappy with the team last year. In fairness, that might be overblown, but it is a possibility.

He was already injured when last season began (recovering from an injury the previous season and surgery, I think, and then the car accident), and because Gettleman didn't adequately address the LT position after the retirement of their longtime LT Jordan Gross, he took a pounding last season. The guy, Byron Bell, that they played at LT last season was cut this off season. Gettleman's solution at LT was signing Michael Oher and his backup is Jonathan Martin, who was signed off of waivers from the Niners. Yes, that's the same Jonathan Martin that was bullied on the Dolphins. Does that sound like the LT position is solidified?

Cam is likely to be running for his life again this season. He has already refused to sign an extension, and I think his contract is up after this season. He could be a FA next season. If not, it's the season after. If he takes another pounding this season, he could definitely refuse to stay in Carolina. At least with Rivers, he'd probably stay and play 3-4 years then retire (if he wasn't seriously injured or killed first). Now Rivers might refuse to go and play behind that LT, but he went to NC State and I think liked it in NC. They'd at least be getting a quality QB and a high draft pick, which would be better than a 3rd round compensatory pick.

nycarl and TurkJetFan like this.
  2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

that makes sense...interesting take on it

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lmaooo hell no.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Interesting trade.

I don't like the idea of throwing in a high draft pick along with Wilkerson. Straight up I'd do it.

With Rivers the Jets are a 13-3, 14-2, 15-1 caliber football team.

NYJetsO12 and James Hasty like this.
  6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Are we getting Antonio Gates, too?

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

At 34 years old?! No way!

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I can't believe how many people are saying no. The only real knock against Rivers is his age. He'll turn 34 in December, which isn't ideal, but we all know elite QB's can play at a high level well into their 30's. He would make the Jets an instant contender to come out of the AFC, if not a favorite.

I make a concerted effort to be optimistic, but I think there's a real chance the Jets finish in the dreaded 7-9 to 9-7 range, miss the playoffs, and lose out on a chance to draft Cook/Hackenberg.
    Besides QB, this might be the best team (on paper) the Jets have fielded in my lifetime (I'm 26). Like others have said, it's poised to be risked on Geno and Fitz.

If there's one position the Jets can afford to gamble with, it's the DL. Given the contract situation, Wilk is the most disposable. I'd give him and a 2nd up in an instant for a reliable QB that could make us contenders for the next 5 years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Were you paying attention to the news in SD? RIVERS DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE OUT OF THERE. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

And you can't believe how many people are saying no? I can't believe how many people don't even do the proper background checks. It literally APPALLS me.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If Rivers wanted to come here (and was willing to re-sign for a league-appropriate contract), I'd trade Mo for Rivers in a heartbeat. I'd even strongly consider giving up the first round pick because with Rivers on this team, it's gonna be a really late first round pick. Mo + 3rd is a no-brainer.

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

They are the same people who insisted they didn't want the Jets to pursue free agent Peyton Manning because Sanchez was our franchise quarterback.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Making fun of yourself is a very good way to admit your own stupidity. At least you are owning it - kudos for ya.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Many on this board tend to overvalue our own guys.

Don't get me wrong, Mo is a good player but I do not want to watch him walk away with us getting nothing any more than I want to see him get overpaid leaving us in a position where we lose Robertson, Williams, etc. later.

Thanks to Idzick and our horrible season last year we got an extra $12 mil to play with this year. That extra money goes away next year and we will have to make some hard decisions going forward.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the thread I thought this is pure speculation but fun to yap about

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Peyton would not have had success here w/ the lack of talent on offense, if you think otherwise that is your problem. w/ top 3 talent around him he has yet to win a SB and has been one and done in the playoffs 2 of 3 years.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Cutler may have been available in the sense of Chicago willing to listen to offers, but that was a very short period. There was some talk in the chicago media about them trying to get Mariota, but that wasn't really anything the team actually did anything about. I take it they are committed to keeping him, and there's no indication they have been shopping him around or even giving off signals that he might be available.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, and also fail to take into account that Wilkerson is probably asking for too much money.

Another team, one not relatively loaded at DL already and having to consider dealing with Richardson's contract next year of the year after, would more likely be willing to pay top dollar to Wilkerson, and it would make sense if Wilkerson understands that.

Add to the overvaluing Jet players the fact that the naysayers on trading him do not appear to be taking into account how his contract situation is working against the Jets keeping him. I don't get that.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

They have a raging clue. It's pointing that way.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Jet fans wanting Cutler or Rivers, it's just comical. I get that Geno isn't good but paying big dollars to guys who can't get it done and adding in players/picks will not get us close to a SB.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So you're saying that adding Rivers pushes us farther away from the Superbowl than playing Geno?

James Hasty likes this.