So Milliner Has To Earn A Spot But Geno Doesn't?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 25, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It could be Macc was scared to death to enter the season with Geno and did everything he could to upgrade the position, which ended up being Fitz as the 'known' commodity and Bryce Petty as the new kid in town. Macc MAY HAVE offered Tennessee 2 first round pics for Mariota. We just don't know.

But to say Macc loves Geno because Geno is the day 1 starter is not necessarily true. I would not be surprised if this very minute Macc is digging deep with other teams trying to work out a trade for a young QB who would be a clear upgrade over Geno.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Geno played well in both New England games, I personally thought that they were 2 of the better games in his career and he was a big reason the games were close, though the late sack week 16 did cost a go ahead field goal. The Miami game he wasn't allowed to throw so I don't even consider it. Green Bay was a holistic team shit show. The Lions and Broncos games were both very similar in that our OL got dominated by top 5 defensive lines and the running game was nonexistent with Geno under constant pressure. Solid defense against good QBs and a couple late comebacks kept those 2 close.

I definitely think better QB play could have won a couple extra games, but 10-6 is out of the question for me.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree Geno hasn't earned that right to be handed the starting QB role. If he stinks after 2 games he should never suit up for the Jets ever again. The Jets and the new team of Mac & Bowles should move on and move on from his quickly. I would draft a QB every year until you get it right. I've seen all I need to see of Geno. he might turn out to be servicable but it won't be with the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. boozer32

Yeah Chan Gailey was one of the guy's I didn't want as OC. Two years out of the league is like an eternity and I don't think he found some Zen like vision while he was out.

5. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

/Thread

6. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

If people on this board think Geno doesn't have to perform to keep his spot your dumber than I thought you were.

Dee isn't going anywhere either unless someone offers equal value trade by that I mean 1st round draft pick. Who's doing that deal? Nobody! So, Dee will be here until his contract is up or he develops and the jets reup.

#26 Dreadmadseen, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. boozer32

Huh? Geno Smith played pretty well last year? I guess you were out of the country for the Buffalo Bills game at home. 3 interceptions in the first quarter. It was like Geno had money on the game.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

and everybody else that can actually get on the field to practice at this point.

This is silly. The healthiest, best options, at the present time, are practicing at this time.

OH WOW!! OMG....NO!!

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I get the double standard but to compare the situations is silly, Geno needs confidence as most QB's who aren't very good do but at this point there isn't anyone to really challenge Geno either. Maybe even McDougle is better than Milliner, who the hell knows when neither can stay on the field? I think the additions of Smith , Marshall and Decker now being the #2 will help Geno tremendously. I'd have preferred to see Sanchez with these guys as I still think he's a better QB than Geno (although I don't think Sanchez is anything more than a decent to slightly above average at times QB) so it's not really saying much about him either.

hwismer and Hobbes3259 like this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

FO is daring GeNO to fail

But they aren't doing that with Milliner.

If Milliner fails to perform this year, that still doesn't mean the end of the road for him.

If GeNO shits the bed this year - he's done. Finished. Out of the league.

Totally different situation.

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That's the unfortunate thing

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Kind of the point I was making.
    I called him for three in particular, but...the larger point was....with serviceable QB play... those close games were all winnable.

stretch...maybe..but not quite out of the question.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Idzik fucked this team royally with that one move.

Even if Sanchez rode pine last year, he was a better backup option than Vick.

And before ANYONE even thinks about getting back to Sanchez' contract...I said before he was let go that he would play...last year...for 4 mil.

(and at least Sanchez has gotten to, and won...in playoff games)

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

#34 NYJetsO12, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Its a philosophical issue here. I believe in competition and earning your way. In addition, Fitz should be ready to practice 100% by July. Yes, Revis and Cro are great but if you are a Pro Athlete everyday at practice is an audition for your team and 31 others who might pick you up if you get cut.

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Eh, the thing with QB is you really want to make sure your starter gets enough reps in camp. If they try to do a 50/50 thing neither of these guys will get enough time with the starters. We already know what Fitzpatrick is. Geno hasn't shown a ton but he still has way more upside. If he falters you can just plug Fitz in. I don't mind Gailey's approach.

MoWilkBeast and Walt White like this.
  17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If Geno = Milliner then Fitzpatrick=Revis and Petty=Cro? That's not a good comparison to make. However, if Macc had been able to bring in Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton then I agree Geno would have to fight for his roster spot.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

And so does Gailey. I'm with you.

We have another OTA, and Mini Camp coming up, if I'm not mistaken. Let Geno go at it to see what he is. Give him a chance to succeed and to get your own honest evaluation of him. Just maybe this coaching staff can do better with him. I have more faith in Gailey than MM.

Everybody's gonna know fairly early if Geno's gone up the learning curve at all.
    I don't see anybody waiting around two, three more years hoping Geno improves, let alone the whole season

19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Every player is treated differently. Is the coaching staff going to treat a player who is coming off an Achilles injury where he missed an entire season the same as a player who is not injured and is the presumptive starter at his position? Well, of course they are going to treat Milliner differently than Smith.

Milliner is likely NOT a starter. Smith is likely the starter. Milliner missed virtually an entire season and is behind two all-star CBs.

Of course, if either player stinks up the joint enough they won't have a position. That goes without saying in most reasonable discussions. Apparently some think that Geno Smith being named a starter means that the coaching staff has indicated he cannot lose that position even if his play warrants it. Not having a "named" competition doesn't mean that there isn't any competition. These guys are trying to prove themselves every practice. And if someone doesn't warrant a starting role, they won't have it, whether a competition was named or not.

20. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Lol