2015 NCAA Football Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JStokes, May 7, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why not?

Everett Golson transferring out of ND, undecided where he'll go.

Since he graduated, does not need to sit out a year.

_

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think he will end up at Florida State, with outside chances to end up at South Carolina or Georgia. Either way he's headed South

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Since Notre Dame was suspending him for the entire 2013 season for exercising "poor academic judgement" why didn't he just transfer to the University of North Carolina?

4. BrowningNagle

He plays football not basketball. I don't believe they have a football team at North Carolina.....

Regarding S. Carolina and Georgia, I'm not sure now that he could go there, I may have been wrong. The SEC has some of the toughest rules regarding Graduate Student football players and it might not be possible for him to be cleared there. Who knows now. I will stick to my original guess in Florida St.. Though

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If he went to Texas he would have a good chance of beating out Swoopes as the starting QB and they open against ND. Might be some motivation there.
    A lot of competition for him at FSU and they still plan to run a pro style offense. I know they have at least 2 very good pro style QBs in the wings, has Golson every played in a pro style or just the spread?

6. JStokes

Wow, the State of Georgia just passed a law making it a crime punishable by a year in jail to entice an NCAA athlete to break NCAA rules for money.

Calling it the Todd Gurley bill.

Pretty interesting.

_

7. BrowningNagle

I suspect the Georgia football team will decline in the coming years... the politicians are taking away Coach Richt's top recruiting mechanism ($$$ university donors $$)

8. JStokes

I wonder if other states will follow suit.

_

9. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Alex "Big Red" Webster

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You are going to love Mike Riley as a head coach. He is one of the best. So glad he got out of that shack in Corvallis to a real program.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

comments
    Ray Watts to reinstate UAB football

[​IMG]

PrintEmail
    [​IMG]By John Talty | jtalty@al.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on June 01, 2015 at 12:55 PM, updated June 01, 2015 at 2:25 PM

UAB will reinstate its football program, sources told AL.com.

UAB school president Ray Watts is expected to make the announcement official at a 4 p.m. news conference. After AL.com's report, Watts confirmed the news to the Associated Press.

UAB supporters told AL.com "it's a miracle" and the decision was "very positive for UAB and this community."

The decision is a stunning reversal after Watts announced the dismissal of the sport amere six months ago. Last December, UAB became the first Division I, Football Bowl Series (FBS) school to drop football in nearly two decades. Watts stated it wasn't financially feasible to support the football program, citing the CarrSports Consulting report. The CarrSports report said the program needed to invest $49 million over five years to maintain a competitive football program.

That decision was met with school protests and cries for "Free UAB." Supporters rallied around the idea of returning the program and demanded more transparency regarding the process behind the decision.

The school announced the creation of task force in January to study the decision. That task force hired an outside firm, College Sports Solutions, to review the initial decision and created a fundraising subcommittee, led by former football player Justin Craft, to raise private funds to reinstate football. The CSS report stated it was viable for UAB to both reinstate football and maintain the status quo, describing a $3.165 million annual financial delta.

Craft raised more than $15 million to cover any financial deficits. The Birmingham City Council and the UAB Undergraduate Student Government Association made multi-million dollar pledges, totaling nearly $6 million over five years. Jimmy Filler, a Birmingham businessman, also pledged to raise $7.5 million for an on-campus stadium.

The decision to reinstate football should allow UAB to remain in Conference USA, which requires its members to have a Football Bowl Series level football program. Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky told AL.com last week he believed UAB reinstating its program would be well received by the conference.

If UAB didn't reinstate football, it would have been forced to leave the conference and lost upwards of $2 million annually.

Stay tuned for more information. For live updates of UAB decision, follow along here.

[​IMG]

13. JetsHuskers fan

Fuck yea!!! Congrats UAB!!!!

I bet the Gump heads in Tuscaloosa are really mad over this.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

15. JetsHuskers fan

sucks so much waiting for the 2015 Husker season to start./ :(

16. JetsHuskers fan

17. BrowningNagle

another year, another FSU QB....

http://www.wtsp.com/story/sports/co...-johnson-arrested-on-battery-charge/29566293/

18. JetsHuskers fan

19. JetsHuskers fan

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Departed Bo Pelini took apart former Univ. of Mia deserter and current Nebraska A.D. weasel Shawn Eichorst in a profanity-filled tirade.

Bo, he know pissed off:

Bo Pelini Rips Nebraska A.D. Eichorst

Lincoln -Bo Polini became the new head football coach at Youngstown State on Wednesday. He didn’t leave Nebraska without burning bridges.

In a 30-minute meeting with Husker players on Dec. 2 at Lincoln North Star High School, Pelini repeatedly blasted Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst, providing a window into his strained — almost nonexistent — relationship with his former boss.

“A guy like (Eichorst) who has no integrity, he doesn’t even understand what a core value is,” Pelini told players. “And he hasn’t understood it from the day he got here. I saw it when I first met with the guy.

“To have core values means you have to be about something, you have to represent something that is important to you. He’s a f------ lawyer who makes policies. That’s all he’s done since he’s been here: Hire people and make policies to cover his own ass.”

The World-Herald on Wednesday received an audiotape of Pelini’s remarks that night. He spoke conversationally, seldom raising his voice. It’s a rare glimpse into the mindset of a coach who increasingly felt besieged by his own administration and fan base.

On the recording, Pelini expresses gratitude, support and advice for players. The majority of the tape, however, reveals Pelini’s thoughts about Eichorst. In the first minute of his talk, he uses two vulgarities associated with female genitalia to describe his former boss.

“I didn’t really have any relationship with the A.D.,” Pelini said. “The guy, you guys saw him (Sunday), the guy’s a total p----. I mean, he is. He’s a total c---.”

UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman declined to comment Wednesday.

Pelini was fired Nov. 30 and is due to receive a $7.9 million buyout.

An examination of Pelini’s contract doesn’t show any specific “non-disparagement” language that would reduce his buyout — $150,000 per month, mitigated by money made in his new Youngstown State contract — based on his comments at Lincoln North Star.

On Wednesday, Youngstown State announced Pelini as its head football coach. He’ll return to his hometown and work under President Jim Tressel, who led Youngstown State to four FCS national championships.

During his introductory press conference Wednesday in Ohio, Pelini called Tressel “a president who understands football, who’s going to support me, something I don’t know if I’ve ever had.”

Pelini told his Husker players on Dec. 2 that the Nebraska job wore on him and his family.

“I said to (assistant coach Rick Kaczenski) at one point, I said, ‘Man, this is killing me.’ I said, ‘I don’t want to die doing this job.’ And I meant it. I was like, ‘I don’t want to have a heart attack doing this job.’ ”

Pelini told players he saw anger in administrators’ faces when the Huskers beat Iowa in the regular-season finale. In his view, they didn’t want NU to win.

That Sunday, Eichorst called Pelini into his office. Pelini described the exchange to players. After the A.D. informed Pelini that he had been fired, the coach asked if NU was honoring his and his assistants’ contracts. Eichorst said yes.

If Eichorst wasn’t going to support him, Pelini said, a change was for the best.

“He goes, ‘I disagree that I haven’t supported you.’ I said, ‘Hey bud, you can’t support somebody underneath a f------ rock.’ I said, ‘To do your job at this level, at a place like this, you gotta be a grown-a-- f------ man to lead something.’ I said, ‘You can’t lead anything under a f------ rock.’ I said, ‘You don’t spend any time with us. Our players don’t even know who you are.’ And I said, ‘That isn’t leadership.’

“And he said, ‘Well I appreciate (your) advice.’”

“I said, ‘I suggest you take it, but see you later.’ And that’s how it went down.”

Pelini saw it coming. He told Husker players on Dec. 2 that one week before he was fired, he approached two members of the Board of Regents.

“I don’t even really know what those guys do — and I said, ‘Hey, you know what, if (Eichorst) ain’t gonna do his job, and if he doesn’t have the b---- to go out there and support me, support these kids, support this program, then do me a favor and get rid of me.’ ”

“I’ll put it to you this way,” he said. “It didn’t surprise me how it played out.”

Osborne said Wednesday night: “I wasn’t forced out. I resigned. And that’s the end of the story.”

“I think there were agendas and those go all the way over to the chancellor’s office. Between the A.D. and the chancellor. And if they want their own guy in there, go ahead, good luck to ya.”

“And unfortunately all I found out then was that they were p------ and they were gonna do what was politically right.”

Pelini said he never received guidelines stating what he had to do in 2014 to keep his job. Over the past six months, Pelini said, he saw Eichorst “probably a total of seven or eight times for a total of about 20 minutes.”

“I’m not somebody who is going to sit there and get along to get along when I don’t believe in something that’s going on. I am going to speak my mind, and that probably bothered him and bothered the chancellor.”

Pelini referenced a meeting between Eichorst and Husker players the night he was fired, Nov. 30.

“I am sure you guys walked out of there, and you’re all smart guys who have been around — and I’m sure and your gut told you certain things. Trust your gut, because your gut’s right.

“Not knowing how it was going to go — when he told me he would meet with you guys at 8 o’clock, I think he said, ‘I’m going to meet the players later on today,’ and my first thought was: ‘Well, that ain’t going to go real well.’ Because I knew he wouldn’t handle it the right way.

“I heard he brought security with him? C’mon man. I mean, s---, fellas, look who he circles himself with. Look at his team of people. C’mon, man.

Why did he want to meet with players? Pelini said he wasn’t going to “toe the company line.” He wanted to tell players “what went down.”

“Let me tell you, fellas, this is for real. If it wasn’t for you guys and the coaches and their families, I would have resigned a year ago. Because there was some things that were going on that were making me miserable. And all the money in the world ain’t f------ worth that. And that’s the truth.

“When I was in coaching — doing the X’s and O’s and game planning and all those types of things, fellas? I forget about all this stuff.

“But there were times when I wasn’t doing that, when I had to deal with all the other b-------, let me tell you — there were a lot of nights I would go and sit down on the bed, and sit there and think, ‘What the f--- am I doing? Is this worth it?’ Because I felt like it was taking years off my life.”

Tell me if I’m wrong, Pelini told players, but the environment at Nebraska wore on you as the past several seasons progressed. It gets harder and harder and harder.

“It’s a b---- here. It’s hard enough when you have the negativity that comes from the media and the negativity from a lot of former players and this talk show and that talk show. You win and it ain’t good enough. It’s not good enough, how you won. There is a lot of things that go on there, and if you don’t have a grown man standing in front of the thing saying, ‘Hey, I’m behind it,’ getting everybody, rallying them — I can do it all I want, but they’re b------- at me, too. ...

“It was never more evident than the Wisconsin game. I thought you guys were more mentally beat in that game than we got physically beat. It’s a culmination of the negativity. And I understand, you guys are human. That’s why I was constantly talking to you guys about it.

“Last game, you guys just said, ‘F--- it, let’s go play.’ Despite all the injuries we dealt with, you guys at least played free. And that’s my advice to you guys that come back. You can’t let this place eat you up, because if you let it, it’ll eat you up.

“Because I’ve been at LSU, I’ve been at Oklahoma, I’ve been to these other places and it ain’t quite — the scrutiny, the negativity — it ain’t like that everywhere. But it is what it is. But you gotta be strong as hell and deal with it. You have to. Because it’s real, I know it’s out there. I’ve seen it.”

“At the end of the day, what you gotta sit there and think is, ‘This is how many years I got left. These ought to be the best years of my life.’ And if I don’t think it’s going to be that way in this place, then you shouldn’t stay. But if you feel like, ‘Hey, this is the place for me. This is place where I’m going to enjoy my career,’ then this is where you should stay. That’s what it should come down to because, fellas, it’s going to be over before you know it.”

The audiotape concludes with Pelini restating his support for the players. You’re always free to call or text me, he said. I’ll be there for you.

“Appreciate you fellas, OK? Appreciate you guys coming out. Love you, OK? Thanks, fellas. Appreciate it.”

#20 joe, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015