Second Pick Determines Entire Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by johnnysd, Apr 26, 2015.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm curious... If Jets get MM somehow, how long before Ppl will start crying for playing him?

IMO Mariotta needs to sit for a year or two and learn, Rodgers style. But I guarantee that the minute MM is drafted the whole BSPN lineup, plus tank, plus mehtas and ciminis will go nuts. I can already hear Kay sanctimoniously declaring "you have to play him, that's what your legacy is".

So how long before ppl here will join in? I'll say 4.5 game over/under.

tiger8mush and Turbocharged23 like this.
  2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Not sure Redskins fans would agree with you today, maybe at the time but probably not today.

If Mariota was an Andrew Luck type prospect I would 100% agree with you...but he's not. He's typically considered the second best QB when the best was a turnover machine and has significant off the field issues. I'm honestly not even really sure why Winston is the consensus #1 pick but, hey, that's just me. Even if you avoid a comparison approach he's coming out of a spread offence with virtually no snaps taken under centre. Is he devoid of talent? No. Is it impossible that he can adjust the weak parts of his game? No. But there are far too many questions about him to mortgage the future to pick him up.

If he falls to us at 6th overall I have no issue with drafting him. It's a position of weakness and it's possible he could help improve the team. If he costs us two first round picks and change I'm not going to be particularly happy about it but hopefully it works out for us or three years from now when Bowles and Mac are fired because they mortgaged the future to get a QB with so many question marks the fans clamouring for them to to whatever is necessary will get what they deserve.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO if they fail to find a QB within 2-3 years, they will be fired whether they swing and miss on Mariota or fail to draft one in the 1st or 2nd round. Barring a miracle, Geno is not the QB to lead us forward and neither is Fitz. They could also be fired if they pass on Mariota and he develops into franchise QB. It's a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.

RG3 was considered a great prospect at the time. The Skins didn't have a QB, and there aren't enough in the NFL. If the Skins fans don't agree today, that's to their shame. IMO it's always better to go for it and fail, then wimp out and take the safe route and still fail.

NYJetsO12 and Rockinz like this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He should get first team reps day 1 training camp.

Chan can make him great.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There is a difference between going for it and making a stupid trade. Trading 3 first rounders was stupid. What was even more stupid, was the timing of the trade. If I remember correctly, I think they made the trade nearly 2 months before the draft. At the time some some mocks still had RGIII dropping to their pick. I honestly believe the Redskins bade against themselves. They could at least waited to get a better gauge of who was bluffing and who was really interested.

All that said, I think RGIII still has a chance to be good if he can stay healthy and curb his ego. He hasn't even been that bad; his numbers are a million times better than Genocide's.

6. legler82

Deciding he must sit for 1-2 years before he's even touch the field is just irresponsible as clamoring "you have to play him" just because he was a high pick. You give him the opportunity to compete for the job. If he wins it, great; if he doesn't, it's still great as he get to sit and learn.

7. legler82

Fixed it for you:)

8. deerow84

Not having a starting calibre QB can be death in this league but so can depleting your team of assets on a gamble for a guy who may not be the answer. Calculated risks are worthwhile, throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks isn't. The RG3 example is more to highlight that he was the second best QB compared to a can't miss prospect like Luck. Mariota is considered by most people to be the second best QB in a very weak QB class compared to a guy that, IMO at least, isn't a sure thing at the NFL level. I mean, Winston will likely be a starter and not the worst starter in the league but I don't think people anticipate him playing in conference championships in the next couple of years. And Mariota is ranked lower then him. Doesn't that say a lot about his odds to be a franchise guy? Isn't the point to win a Super Bowl? Hard to do that if you've got a maybe middle of the pack QB and no first rounders for a few years. I'd rather have a middle of the pack guy and enough assets around him to give him tools to help him win.

I'd be happy enough if Mariota fell to us and we picked him up at 6th but equally I'd be happy if the Titans pick him or trade the pick to any team but the Jets. If we end up trading into that pick I really think it's going to set our franchise back more than it helps. Maybe if he falls to 4th and we trade up with the Raiders and it costs us less it's worthwhile but some people think it's going to take an RG3 like package and I don't see that being worth it for a guy like Mariota.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with competing part, just don't think he'd be ready this year. Jets fans for the most part are not patient and not reasonable. 2-3 games of Geno/Fitz struggling, and you'll hear rumblings of "Give MM a chance, can't be any worse". Another 2-3 games and it'll be "FO fixed the competition". Another two and the billboard guy will show up again after appropriately changing his name.

Doesn't really matter. I don't think MM is coming here anyway.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's unlikely, but my ideal draft would have Mariota falling to the Jets at #6, then the Jets getting an OT, WR and OLB out of the first 4 rounds. The OT would have to come in either the 2nd (Fisher?) or 3rd round (Ogbuehi?).
    Obviously, I don't see trading up for Mariota as "Throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks."

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

There are 2 things I'm feeling , 1 I'm pretty certain of , the other is just a gut feeling.

Mariota goes at #2 to someone, and Mo gets dealt on draft day.

I'm not too happy about the prospect of trading Mo but I just have a funny feeling somethings in the works.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wilkerson only gets traded if we are getting Mariota..there is absolutely nobody else worth trading him for and of course for him to be traded he would have to agree to a new contract with his new team and pass a physical BEFORE the team we are trading with is on the clock AND not a peep of any of this could be leaked, soooooo I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

13. deerow84

I hope we don't trade Mo. He's part of what makes our defence special.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

If he gets picked at 6 you can sit him but if you trade up to 2 you have to get immediate returns given how much you'd be sacrificing. I really don't think it would be that big of a deal, I think Gailey can handle him.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Question.
    TEN on the clock and Jets made a deal that involves Mo. TEN will want the deal to include a new contract, but Mo wants "max" money. So the deal is contingent on new contract, but there is only 10 minutes and the time is ticking. How will this be handled?

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Mo has no say in the matter and would not have to have a redone contract. The physical may have already been done. or a contingency could be in place. We traded like 4 players for Sanchez none of whom had physicals before the trade.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

PLEASE let's stop with the "trade Mo" nonsense. What a disaster that would be. Everyone gets all excited and crazy over the draft. Let's look back at our last ten first round picks. After Revis, and maybe Sheldon Richardson, Mo was the smartest one we've made. I'm not trading Mo to roll the dice on on having a better chance to get any first round player this year.

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Well no fan wants to trade Mo, but there could be real difficulty in signing him if he thinks he deserves Suh and Watt money. I just do not see us paying him that, so there is definitely the possibility we trade him especially since the Jets have been very coy about his status.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

See the thing is every Jet fan is out here assuming he wants that type of money because he's not signed yet - Mac said it himself, he's waiting until after the draft. Mo will not be traded, I can't wait until all of this talk is over. Wilkerson is an all-pro caliber player, you don't trade a player like that away unless you are getting something equal - I don't think the Jets will receive that in a trade.

20. legler82

My gut tells me he'll be there at 6.