possible trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Apr 16, 2015.

1. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

That would depend on whether Tenn is comfortable w/ Mettenberger going forward, Rivers is in last year of
    contract, SD can franchise him next year, but he could retire....if a QB like Rivers may want out of SD why shouldn't
    the Jets get involved???

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Sorry to keep quoting you, but I would agree if Bowles and/or Mac had a hard-on for Rivers, but I'm definitely not banking on Woody's hunch. You might have been implying the same thing anyway, but in no way am I trusting Woodrow to make personnel decisions.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Come on dude, youre better than this. Youre comparing a WR to a QB with a lifetime 95 rating and a 2-1 TD to INT ratio.....its just ridiculous

4. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

It's not a terrible idea. Ignore the losers who think that Geno will play better than Rivers. I don't think Rivers is worth all that, but I also don't think we'll have to give up the 2016 1st to get him from SD; I think Mariota and the 4th gets it done. Even more so if somehow Jameis Winston is still on the board at #2.

The problem is going to be getting that #2 pick. I don't think the Titans will trade it so cheaply. STL got three #1s + for the RG3 pick, I think Tennessee will try to hold out for a similar ransom. They may not get it, but that's where the market is currently.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

matiotta and a 4th is an enormous overpay. it should be more like mariotta for rivers and a future protected first depending on how many games rivers plays for us

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's an impossible trade to make. First nobody would make any trade without Rivers signing an extension and Rivers doesn't want to leave San Diego period even if it means retiring apparently. Assuming you could get past all of that how could you keep it quiet before the draft, impossible?

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Rivers in NY with the Jets would be fun.:)

He'd be the best QB we've had since Brett and the Eli-Rivers 2004 NFL Draft connection is there.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Was kind of going iun the direction of turnovers in the past 2 years but if you can't think beyond the obvious shit you can point out sure... Maybe it does make sense...

9. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Where did you read that? Everything I've read says he just doesn't want to move to Los Angeles

10. lagogo

lagogo New Member

yea.

11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

So you think the is new management is going to risk mortgaging the future on a QB that doesn't even want to play in LA?
    Wow, I'm glad you're not the GM, LOL

4jetfans likes this.
  12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Would love it if we got Mariotta but if not we have to do what ever it takes to get a NFL QB capable of at least putting us into contention for a playoff spot. Our make believe QB (even if he improves) will not get us near this level. We have more of a chance with Fitzpatrick than Geno and even than we won't make it(JMO). Our QB situation (I dare say) is at or near the bottom of all the other teams in the NFL. In our division we have the worse QB situation. It demands immediate action by our front office. It would be more acceptable to most of our fans in waiting for Mariotta to develop than to continue to watch Geno.
    The only comfort level I would have with Geno is knowing we have immediate options to replace him if and when he shats the bed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing,, Stay away from the pipe

onefanjet likes this.
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If Mariota/Winston are there at 6 and our FO is convinced either is a franchise QB, take him. Otherwise, stick with Geno and Fitz and leave Rivers alone (apparently he's talking to SD about a new deal - surprise surprise). This franchise has repeatedly demonstrated that going all in on a veteran QB is not a winning proposition (Favre, O'Donnell, Esiason), so why overpay in traded draft picks and salary and repeat that mistake? We've got to develop a QB of our own.

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Sounds rational but we should still draft either the QB Blake Sims, Brett Hundley, UCLA or any of the other Highly rated QB's available in the mid rounds. What I don't want to see is us going into the seasons with what we have. I don't see Geno even being on this team after next year. He would have to grow in leaps and bounds and I don't see it happening.

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Rivers doesn't want to play in LA because of the big city life then he certainly won't want to play here...

Just our luck that we trade for him and he doesn't extend his contract

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Is it because LA is a big city or because it's LA? SD is not exactly a small city, ftr. As much as I am tired of NY and hate the winter I would much rather be here than in LA. I hate that place.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, the first half was a good idea although you would never get that pick for 2 1s and a 4..that's just dreaming, if that's all it took Cleveland would already have him and both of their 1s are this year but if you did you should just stop there and take Mariota.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Rivers is a little more interesting in that he isn't a 1 year rental like Favre was. If the Jets had Favre for 3-5 years, that may have worked out.

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Favre had won a championship. Rivers has played for some great teams and has won nothing.