Will the Jets trade up to #2?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by VegasMav, Mar 30, 2015.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He also made this pro-day way more complicated than it needed to be. He scripted over 100 passes, which is cray cray.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was hoping he would have the worst pro day imaginable and/or rob another publix so the clowns in NFL front offices would bypass him and the Jets could grab him at #6.!

3. legler82

Well that didn't happen.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You do have to wonder though. He shows up over weight, gets winded, isn't accurate and brings a bucket full of props. All of that and his past off field stuff and you wonder if some gm really wants to make him #1. Sounds so much like Russell.

5. BrowningNagle

there's still 2 months and over 1,100 publix locations, most of which sell crablegs.. I will hold out hope

6. BrowningNagle

Actually it sounds like Bridgewater last year until you mention the off the field stuff. It was wondering about similar things on his pro day that caused him to drop and costed many teams, including our own, to bypass a future franchise QB.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

_

8. legler82

Russell had a great pro-day, one of the best ever. So they are not the same.

9. legler82

LOL…If I'm his agent I would put him on house arrest until the draft.

NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can totally understand your aversion to that risk. There are risks involved with taking any player, but when you trade up and miss, it hurts even more, especially when it's a QB. The thing is, however, that a team almost never "lucks into" a great QB like Brady. There are so few excellent or even good QBs that one has to take risks in order to find a good one. If your team aspires to greatness, there are risks involved at every step of the way. One never achieves greatness by playing it "safe." Playing it safe will insure one thing, and one thing only...mediocrity. I'd rather roll the dice on Mariota developing and have at least a shot at greatness, fail and be mediocre, than "play it safe" and have no shot at greatness. Worse yet would be playing it safe, not taking Mariota, then watching him become a top 5 QB in the NFL and lead that team to multiple Lombardi Trophies. The only thing for certain is that the Jets don't seem to have a quality QB. Geno could still develop, but as much as I'd like to see it happen, just don't think it will. We know that Fitz, Schaub and Simms aren't the answer, nor were any of the other FA QBs. There's no QB that will be in either of the next 2 drafts who will have the three record of success that Mariota has had, have his football IQ, athleticism and talents. That's why imo it's worth taking the risk and trading up for him. I'd rather burn an extra #1 and an additional pick or picks and get him. Then if he develops as expected, the Jets will be set at QB for the next 10-15 years and will have a great shot at finally winning another Lombardi Trophy. If that happens, the Jets will finally gain stability and respect around the NFL. What he could do for the Jets would far outstrip any risk that was taken or any additional picks that were given up in order to get him. Great or even just very good QBs are that important to a team's success.

If you still don't agree, that's fine. No one said we had to agree.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. legler82

I really think that if you can draft a QB that develops into one that is consistently among the top half starters in the league, it's a success. Chasing that "elite" top 5 guy is a futile venture.

12. lockgang

lockgang Member

Been saying this for awhile, he's felt this way about Jameis since before the combine. Per reports, Licht and Lovie didnt hide their love for him today and Lovie embracing Winston's family members? Yeah, they're picking him even if a burglary and 5 more rape accusations come out.

#112 lockgang, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I have read articles and seen videos about how Teddy Bridgwhatever was the best QB in the last draft, and they are not convincing at all, what proof can anybody show that this is true?

Come on, there are people acting like QB experts in drafting all over this forum, let's see the evidence

JetLifeLo likes this.
  14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Hey guy, I have agreed with a number of your posts, but I am not reading this. Do everybody a favor and bother to make your post readable to the people you are trying to convince.

This is a feverish effort to put a bunch of words that are in your head onto a forum and then not bothering to present it to the people you want to convince that is in a format that can be easily digested.

This is an amicable suggestion

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Nah i feel you. I've been saying "We're just a QB away" for lord knows how long, so no need to get picky when there is a chance to get a good one. Mariota has been my pick all year... "Suck for the duck".. i was on the bandwagon, posting pics of Mariota edited into Jets uniforms and such.

Priority list should realistically go:
    1. Mariota
    2. Amari Cooper
    3. Vic Beasley.

16. NCJetsfan

I agree. I was just pointing out to the poster that by trying to play it safe, one could be insuring mediocrity, and the guy one was afraid to take a risk on could become a topnotch player, and how painful that would be to watch and think "if only..."

17. NCJetsfan

I appreciate the response and attempt to be helpful, but what's so "unreadable" about it? Seriously. It's short enough (10 lines or so) and basically all on the same thought line. Perhaps I could have started a second paragraph at "The only thing for certain..." but was short on time. Sorry if the paragraph was too long for you.

I don't really care of no one read that post except JetLifeLo. I was responding to him, not trying to convince everyone else in the forum that doesn't like Mariota. If others want to read it and comment, great. If not, that's great too. I wasn't trying to "convince" you or anyone else, was just sharing my thoughts on the matter with LetLifeLo. I see nothing "unreadable" about that post. It's basically one paragraph. There's nothing "feverish" about it. Your second paragraph doesn't sound very amicable imo.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wow... A 3rd or 4th lol

It would cost at least #6 + 2nd (15) + 1st 2016

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

haha..so true!

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I would do it if it was reasonable 1st +1st + 2nd.

Mariota will be the best QB since broadway.

I believe he can help us more than any other in this draft.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.