Woody Johnson: "Geno Smith is probably way ahead of him (Mariota) at this point, believe it or not."

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 23, 2015.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Oldie but goodie. Thought I'd repost in light of what's been discussed here recently.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Like I said overall you're a good poster here, but you've never learned taht when you are in a hole and want to get out, the first thing you do is stop digging. Flynn was signed to be the starter. Wilson was better in camp, but that was not expected. That's really all there was to it.

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Here we agree. I understand the antipathy some have here to Fitz. First there aer the know nothing Smith Fans, but it's not only them. Others remember Fitz on the Bills as a pretty bad Qb, but they do not recognize or acknowledge that he improved while in Houston. If he plays at last year's level, a WC is certainly possible. And yes, keeping Smith off the field is addition by subtraction.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wait... but THIS year:

Seriously?
    This year team is more stacked than last year. If there is time to draft > 1 QB, NOW is the time.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That was last year and my comment was hyperbole. I would have been immensely happy with either Teddy or Carr in round 1 and then be done with it. And if we didn't get one of them, then I would have wanted us to take a QB in each succeeding round UNTIL we took one. Was a great year for QBs. I would have been absolutely giddy had we taken Mett in rounds 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 but thank god we got McDooDoo and Saunders and Evans and Dozier and George instead.

No, 2 points. If we land Mariota, I would not feel the need to take another one because in my mind he is superior to all other QBs and another pick would be throwing one away.

Second point, I really don't believe in "developmental" QBs. Taking a guy in rounds 4 or later to "develop" him into your franchise QB is an oxymoron--it doesn't work.

And the QBs in rounds 2-3 this year I don't love. Well, I could learn to love Petty but I'm not a fan of Hundley and Grayson to me looks like Kellen Clemens with a weaker arm.

_

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree the jets SHOULD trade down. They have major needs at RB, QB, OLB and ESPECIALLY OL. Mangold and Brick are getting old and the rest of the OL stinks

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO Lets all recite that paragraph five times fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Bull..trade up and get the one missing piece, a QB. We don't need any fuckin more depth and Brick and Mangold aren't going anywhere for a few more years. You only think the OL stinks because you currently have a qb that takes 45 seconds to release the ball.

9. NYJetsO12

Smith had a solid backfield, decent offensive line, million dollar Eric Decker, Kerley and Amaro among other receivers, if don't Know what we have in Smith then you have not come out the cave you've been living in.

#229 NYJetsO12, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  10. JStokes

It's just johnny one note.

Don't mind him.

_

11. NYJetsO12

I hear that Geno bought a portable hot dog stand at Walmart to bring to meetings and away games

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I actually think he has the abilities to be a decent QB but I honestly think he doesn't have the ability to process the speed of the game in the NFL. If you really watch him play he seems frozen in time once the snap takes place, he can't get his eyes off his intended receiver and he can't seem to figure out what the defense is going to do so he ends up holding the ball until either the defense collapses on his target which is why he has so many INTs or until he gets sacked. On top of that he seems to have no awareness of the defense coming in from behind him.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

And fans want a QB like this on our team? If we can't do better than this, we deserve the outrage that will pour from the media and fans.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Is that why you got the Kotite least knowledgeable award? We're already without 5th and 6th rounders, and you want the jets to trade up and give away more picks?

15. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Umm... I'm pretty sure he's talking about Geno Smith in this post, not Mariota.

16. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Mariota will be GONE by pick number 6. If Jets want him badly, they will have to trade up.

I agree, trading down is ideal, but I don't think they will be in a position to do so. Considering they only have 5-6 picks and might get docked one for tampering, they aren't in a good place to trade up either. I honestly think at the end of the day, the Jets stay at number 6 and end up drafting either Vic Beasley, Amari Cooper, Shane Ray, or Scherff.

17. JStokes

Rodney Harrison is not a fan.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/rodney_harrison_ex-new_england_patriots_safety_rip.html

Rodney Harrison, ex-New England Patriots safety, rips Jets, Geno Smith, who is 'going to fold'

[​IMG]
    Rodney Harrison isn't a fan of Geno Smith. (Frederick Breedon | Getty Images)
    [​IMG]By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on March 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM, updated March 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Reddit

[​IMG]
    All Stories |
    [​IMG]

Rodney Harrison, the former NFL safety and current NBC analyst, went on the radio Friday and hammered the Jetsand their third-year quarterback, Geno Smith.

Harrison, who finished his career with the Patriots from 2003-08, was co-hosting a show called "Under Center" on NBC Sports Radio.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com got his hands on Harrison's quotes. Here's what Harrison had to say about the Jets, Smith and cornerback Darrelle Revis:

"You can say whatever you want about Darrelle Revis, and I do believe he's the best cornerback in the league. But Darrelle Revis has not thrown a touchdown pass. He's not your quarterback. Yes, he can shut down a No. 1 receiver, but they need a quarterback. The Jets are, all of a sudden, on a high thinking they're going to win a championship. You're not going to win a championship, you're not even going to make the playoffs, because you don't have a quarterback. If you go into the season and you're expecting Geno Smith to improve, it's not going to happen.

"He might get a little better, but when times get tough, when adversity hits, guess what he's going to do? He's going to fold just like the last couple years. I don't believe in Geno Smith. I think this is a huge mistake. Hopefully in this draft, they try to address this quarterback situation, because if they go into the season with Geno Smith, they might win five or six games."

Harrison's quotes, of course, came a day before a Jets contingent, including head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, are scheduled to put Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota through a private workout in Eugene, Ore.

Obviously, Bowles and Maccagnan know Smith is far from a proven NFL quarterback -- he struggled for most of his first two seasons -- so they're looking into potentially selecting Mariota with the sixth overall pick. But Bowles and Maccagnan probably aren't as down on Smith as Harrison is. And if they are, they're not going to talk about it publicly. Either way, they haven't anointed Smith as the Week 1 starter yet. Not even close.

Nor have Bowles and Maccagnan said anything publicly that resembles this quote from Harrison: "The Jets are, all of a sudden, on a high thinking they're going to win a championship." Everything the coach and GM have said has been very measured, regarding increased expectations. Maybe some Jets fans think they're going to win a championship, and that is what Harrison is referring to. Who knows?

Harrison also believes the Patriots, his former employer, made the right decision by letting Revis leave for the Jets in free agency.

Darrelle Revis says he left New England Patriots to help deliver a Super Bowl title to the Jets
    Players connected to the Jets in 2015 mock drafts
    "Darrelle Revis is a special cornerback," Harrison said. "There are only 2-3 Darrelle Revises -- Richard Sherman [and] maybe [Joe] Haden. [Bill] Belichick has had a lot of success, but I think the way you offset that shutdown corner is you have to be able to bring in pass-rushers and you have to be able to put pressure on the quarterback. But also offensively, you know you're going to score points, you're going to probably score 25 to 30 points a game. It's kind of that bend-but-don't break mentality, when you get down in the red zone, you toughen things up, hold teams to a field goal.

"That's the thinking. Bill, he's not going to sell the farm for Darrelle Revis, because as good as Darrelle is, you know in a year or two maybe Darrelle is not going to be quite the same player he was this past season for the New England Patriots. So I believe that was the right move to make."

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

_

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there wasn't follow up interviews with Heath Evans and Willie McGinest. They are like a superhero team with unearthly powers of Pats ballwashing, not a shred of objectivity our credibility among them

FJF likes this.
  19. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Evans has to be the worst analyst there is

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

One of the dumbest things I've heard.

Leave the talent evaluation to the GM and scouts, Woody.