Rockinz Mock 1st round 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 26, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While your point is valid about the Cardinals needing better depth at QB, I would be stunned beyond words if the Cards took Hundley after Arians words about spread QBs, unless that was all part of a smokescreen. The thing is, I don't Hundley would be of ANY help to them this year at all. If Mariota takes a year to be ready, I think it would be 2-3 for Hundley, if ever. I think the Cards would be more likely to go after a vet in FA or perhaps trade for Hoyer.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Most likely they will go vet. That pick was mostly a need/insurance pick.. I actually really like Kendrick's in that spot but felt how bitter sweet last season was for them without a legit QB.

3. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Re: the Panthers, it didn't help that Frank alexander got suspended again (10 games was it?) I don't think he can be relied on.

But yes, I completely agree that LT is their #1 priority if they can land it.

4. Rockinz

The Cracken was their biggest loss.. Not Alexander not CJ.. The Cracken!! That man is/was a beast! It didn't help tgat frank and CJ also were out no doubt but Hardy made them elite. Made the secondary much better too..

I think they know in that division they need to get after Breese/Ryan and now Winston (most likely). It's how they got a first round bye in 13/14.

5. NCJetsfan

I hadn't heard that Alexander got suspended!!!! With being sick, and snow, we haven't gotten our local newspaper a number of days and I haven't heard as much Panthers news as recently. 10 Games?!?!?!?!?!? What in the heck did he do? You're right. If he's gone for 10 games, he can't be relied on. That might up their need some, but again think they'll look to sign a vet.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve.

6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Yes Rockinz, for sure Hardy was the haymaker, but then when Alexander got suspended they got even thinner. That's all I was saying. Still, it would be tough to draft another DE n the first IMO.

7. NCJetsfan

That's important, but more important is or at least should be protecting their own franchise QB. They saw firsthand last year what life was like without Cam in the lineup, or a hobbled/injured Cam was like in the lineup, even though Anderson did a great job filling in for Cam. They have enough still to get after opposing QBs. Right now, they have NO ONE protecting Cam's back side.

8. Rockinz

So are you suggesting they should trade up for a LT?

Looking at my board most of the good tackles are gone by 25..

I do agree that they need to get a LT but trading up or reaching for one doesn't seem like something they would do.

9. NCJetsfan

No. I agree that is something Gettleman is probably not likely to do in the first round. I could possibly see either trading down to the top of the 2nd round or trading up in the 2nd round if there's an LT prospect they covet. Otherwise, I think he'll probably go BPA in the first round. If that's a WR, great, it also fits a big need. If that's a DE, then great, that also fills a need. If there's a projected LT who has moved up draft charts or who they rate higher than perhaps other teams do, great, they sprint to the podium and take him. If the BPA is a CB or S, they take him. I do think they will look to find an OT somewhere early. It's their biggest need, and unless he trades for someone or brings in an older vet stopgap, at this point, I think he's probably pretty desperate, although he must have something in mind to have released Bell. It will be interesting to see what he does.

He's made some good moves and found some good low round and UDFA prospects, and the move they made mid-season to get rid of older, slower players in the D secondary, re-energized and saved their season. That said, I'm not very impressed with him. I think he has overestimated the ability of the Panthers OL just as his predecessor did. They were better run blocking, but not very good in pass protection, although they have improved. They have one of the best centers in the game in Khalil, but they need to add some better talent around him.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I watched alot of games and the one that stands out the most was the last one where he was exposed. He's never taken a snap behind center EVER. Too much will have to be changed and learned. So why waste a super high pick on someone that cannot help you for at least 2 years if not ever. Geno looked good in college too how has that turned out. If he is there @6 you call, fax, tweet or text Chip Kelly and ask for the moon.

11. Rockinz

Comparing Geno to Mariota in Collegiate careers is like saying the coyote is as fast as the road runner...

Mariota was unbelievable under 2 coaches in 3 years with a Heisman and one of the best games I have seen a QB perform ever VS Oregon st. He had a 252 QB rating in that game lol with 6 TDs btw!! Watch that game if you have the resources and then talk to me about Marcus Mariota!

boozer32 likes this.
  12. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

My main concern about Mariota is he whiffs badly on too many wide open throws. He did it against Ohio State. He did it multiple times against Florida State. He did it multiple times against UCLA.

13. Rockinz

Every QB "whiffs" on throws at times though... Brett Favre was the king at it but he made up for it with unbelievable throws.. IMO he was one of the best arm talents ever so if he can miss on open throws Mariota can too...

I wouldn't be concerned with Mariota's arm talent or accuracy or any other physical ability because that kid has IT! If there is any concern with how his game will translate in th nfl it will be his ability to read defences, foot work and the right fit with the coaching staff.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

LMAO. Brett Favre has one of the strongest arms EVER - Mariota isn't even in the same universe in terms of arm strength. You need to cut this out.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I will if I can find it. We will just have to see but I'm thnking Mariota will be trade bait for Philly at 6 and I'm fine with that. Get a boat load of draft picks for him plus Nick Foles and don't look back. We already have a dud at QB in Geno why risk another one.

16. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I still want Cooper or White, even with the Marshall signing

17. Rockinz

I'm not comparing Favre arm to Mariota's.. If you get that from my post you need to learn how to read.

The point of that post is even the best QBs miss throws from time to time it's the plays he makes to compensate for that, that can make him special.

Mariota is special no question about it.

18. NCJetsfan

Re-read what he wrote. He didn't say that Mariota's arm strength compared with Favre's. He talked about Favre's great arm TALENT, yet in spite of that great talent, he missed throws too, thus it's to be expected and ok for Mariota to miss some throws. As far as I know, no QB has ever completed 100% of his passes in a game, much less a season.

Rockinz likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think if we get into the grit of accuracy in a QB - Favre was able to make any throw on the field - I do realize that wasn't where Rockinz was going w/ his argument - that's my bad fault for misinterpreting.