Is Brady the Greatest QB of All Time?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nyjunc, Feb 2, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He was unnamed at that point, we had 2 names my wife and I were fighting over. She had an emergency c-section so we were in the hospital for a few days, two days after he was born was the game.

The Jets and the Fins were neck and neck, we were a game back and had we won that weekend (was Thanksgiving weekend) we would have been tied for first at 7-5 with the tie-breaker and off to the races.

I told my wife if we won, I got to name my son Boomer as she had named our first three children. She agreed (not really, but I had a signed document from her LOL). We were up big and my choice of Boomer was looking good and my wife was sweating it out before Marino brought them all the way back and iced it with that freaking fake spike.

My son was named Thomas that night, the Jets went on to lose the rest of their games prompting the firing of Pete Carroll and one of the greatest hires in the history of sports, Rich Kotite and proceeded to go 3-13 and 1-15 the next two years.

Brutal.

_

GoPats likes this.
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That game was great for our franchise longterm(allowed us to hit rock bottom over next couple of years and get Parcells) and great for your son, thankfully you didn't name him Boomer. I bet Thomas really loves Marino for that:D

GoPats likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

My nephew was born the week the Jets drafted D'brickashaw Ferguson. To this day I'm at a loss as to why his parents would name him Steve.

74, GoPats and nyjunc like this.
  4. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

that's why i put him at my #3. if he had playoff performances like brady and montana did i would've put him at #1.

i think peyton is great. these 5 are a big plus for me.

1. i value his 3 SB appearance and he did win the SB. getting there alone IMO is a huge plus. ask marino how hard it is to get there.
    2. 5 mvps. his regular season greatness is undeniable.
    3. not only he is a great QB, but he also is a great offensive coordinator(that works well against 95% of the league). he has changed the game. more than anyone in the SB era.
    4. he appeared in the SB with 2 teams. he can turn any bad teams to winners.
    5. he will pretty much own every meaningful regular season.

IMO, peyton manning would've been easily the GOAT if there was no brady/BB. just too bad he no longer has an adequate arm to really go for his 2nd SB.

honestly, with 1 more major playoff run(SB birth), i'm inclined to put peyton over montana.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

i'll take that as 'i don't know how to participate' in a football discussion.

6. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

LOL, that's pretty awesome... thank you for sharing. Great story.

7. nyjunc

3 SBs w/ the talent he has played with is not good especially when he didn't play wel in any of them, threw away one of them and didn't show up for the 3rd.

MVPs are nice but he had best weapons indoors most games for most of his career

The 2nd team he reached a SB w/ won a playoff game w/ Tim Tebow at QB, it was ultra talented. the fact that he was one and done in 2 of his 3 years in Denver is pathetic.

8. JStokes

I don't give a fuck how you take it. I'm not here to change your mind, I don't really give a shit about your opinion.

But you are entitled to it.

So you have that going for you.

Montana, Elway, Marino all better than Brady.

_

9. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

IMO, peyton puts too much pressure to himself. no excuses. i can't put him over brady/montana because of his playoff woos.. but if i'm comparing the next tier of greats - marino-favre-elway-young to peyton manning? i have to go with peyton manning. peyton's overall body of work is greater IMO. for ex. peyton vs. marino - peyton won more playoff games, has better stats, won more mvps, and impacted the league more.

my take on peyton's playoff woos

1. peyton's playing style creates a soft team. This IMO, is peyton Ocoord's fault. like i said, peyton is a victim of his own greatness. if peyton was told what to do then maybe they would run the ball more and play different style of football.
    2. against the bears - he played against tough D in a bad weather.
    3. saints - he made critical mistakes at a critical time. typical peyton manning who can't win the big game.
    4. seahawks - the difference between brady and peyton. brady doesn't flinch. peyton does. and peyton's lack of adequate arm strength is a big difference between the two. peyton's ball takes forever to get to WR. by the time ball i near WR, hawks DBs are smelling blood. and just a bad game plan. brady/pats showed the world how to attack great D.
    5. i won't even count this year's peyton. he just didn't look right in the 2nd half of the season. he looked old and weary. normally when he is bad, he just looks bad. but he looked really old. he couldn't even make simple throws. that's not peyton manning.

i believe manning has 1 last run in him. if he can just be a game manager like elway did, then he might pull it off.

10. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

and i'm here to debate like a grown man. Montana has 4-0 in the SB 11tds 0ints going for him. i have absolutely no problem people viewing montana as the GOAT. i don't agree, but i understand it.

but John Elway?
    threw over 4000 yards just once
    was considered a 'choker' for a long time
    never threw more than 26TDs in a season
    13 seasons of below 60% completion %
    3:2.2 TD/INT ratio
    10 seasons of 30+ sacks
    only 2 seasons of 90+ QB rating
    career QB rating - below 80
    5 seasons of .500% or below regular season record
    even with him playing like a donkey(22tds 23ints for a season, 54% completion), denver managed to win 11 games (1985 season)
    even with him playing like a donkey(13tds 12ints for a season, 53% completion- tim tebow stuff), denver managed to win 12 games (1991 season)
    even with him playing like a donkey(18tds 15ints for a season, 56% completion ), denver managed to win 13 games (1984 season)

it takes a great leap of faith to believe Elway is better QB than Brady because in many seasons Elway played like better version of tim tebow. I lived in denver. Elways is a myth. his comeback ability hid the ugly side of his game. yes, he was a miracle maker. so many great omeback wins under his belt. but like tim tebow, elway just looked bad. really bad. and then he turns on the switch. it's deciieving. yes, elway wasn't mechanically flawed like elway. but he was mentally flawed like tebow. game never game easy. watching denver's offense was a struggle.

and many elway apologists blame Reeves, but they don't look at the fact that elway had some serious flaws to his game. without their commitment to run, i believe elway would've been even more careless with the football. it would be alot like bad Eli's season. elway's big ego was a major part of it.

i never once bought into elway hype. he should thank shanny for saving his career. without those 2 rings, we are talking about the biggest waste of God given talent.

11. JStokes

Don't care.

Didn't read the rest of your diatribe.

Elway was better than Brady.

Too bad you never saw him play.

_

12. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

i think you are the one who sounds like who only saw elway's highlight, but never really saw him play. i'm sure you watched him his late heroics, but probably never really bothered to dissect his game. i'm certain you never even bothered to dissect brady's game. because you are so focused on hating on him and that makes you miss the subtle genius brady brings to the table.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Elway better than Brady?

That's ridiculous.

Somebody wasn't paying attention in the 80's.

14. JStokes

Subtle genius? Wow somebody is full of themselves.

I really miss not reading your 5000 word essays. Very disappointed in you.

But I don't hate Brady per se, I hate the entire douchebag cheating scumbag of a franchise.

_

15. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

JStokes could give a college-level course in trolling... and you chumps are all snapping at the bait. It's entertaining to watch.

16. JStokes

Dude.

_

17. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

well, i'm not the only who mentioned the genius side of brady. ray lewis pointed out the genius side of brady as well. he even used the word 'genius'. lol and numerous QB analysts too - greg cosell for example. when you watch brady at his best - it's a QB master class. elway wows you with his will power and physical ability, but IMO that's not sustainable especially in today's league. you will see a super hero mode 3-4 times a year from elway. it's friggin epic movie. roller coaster ride if you ask me. but IMO, he can't touch brady's consistency and ability to dissect the D.

18. JStokes

You are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may be.

Elway was a better QB.

Consistency because Brady is playing in an era when you can't touch a QB and the ability to dissect a D in an era when they've reduced the game to flag football means little to me in the discussion.

_

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

How can you be the the Greatest of All-Time when all of your contemporaries are a bunch of big game chokers?

20. nyjunc

I don't get it? why would that push Brady down when he isn't a Manning type?