Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ThrowMeTheDamnBall

Maybe Woody is attempting to raise the price for our division rivals. New England? I would be doing the same.

I would be interested in Revis for 10-12M$ per.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is nonsense. Unless Mac and Bowles are pushing for it. Woody is already in trouble over Revis. MM is just looking for a story line. Trying to stir the pot.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

And what elite OLB or OL are availabe in FA?

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

not really, the fans and media just make it seem like that

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Any Jet fan that reacts to a Metha article and places any credence whatsoever merits serious consideration for the " you are in dire need of better sources" award.

For once I believe that Mr Johnson is smarter ( cough) than attempting to drive specific names into the roster at the heals of a brad new, football savvy front office. If there is an ounce of truth to this article, then we have learned nothing from the sins of our past, and sure as hell we are bound to repeat it.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wrong. That would be you.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How could this possibly be true? We've had a dozen or more guys here each making dozens of posts over the past year telling us how Woody Johnson had refused to allow the name of Revis to even be whispered within the confines of any of his offices.

You know who you are.

8. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Fuck Revis.
    He is still good, but he isn't the reason NE won the Superbowl. We know who stirs that drink. 10-12 per year for his playability is too much now. Sorry Revis fans. Lets spend it in a wider array.

JetsVilma28 and Jets1035 like this.
  9. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I see both sides of this Falco. I think the question people REALLY need to ask is this: is this a 'win now' team or are we building for the future?

If we are win now then you are completely correct--you sign him and close the books on one of our biggest holes.

But if we are building for the future then why sign him? Let's say he will still be good for 4 more years. If it takes 2-3 seasons to build up to compete then most of his contract will have been wasted and the window to use him will be small. If it takes longer to build or he ages more rapidly then we'd have gotten little bang for our buck. He'd have helped us to a better record during a building phase, but is that worth top dollar? That's a terribly expensive coach.

The way I see it, if we are building for the future then you only sign him if the FO plans to be very competitive in just one year AND Revis will still be a top corner for at least 3-4 years or more. If that isn't the plan then we are better off moving on and letting Revis become a part of Jets history.....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

If Woody Johnson really did recognize the biggest hole in this franchise, and wanted to adequately fill it, he'd need to sell the team.....

NCJetsfan, papapump and TNJet like this.
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I see it differently. I think every team in this league is in a "win now" mode. But let's take your time frame as an example. We have two young corners on this roster, McDougal and Milliner. We will likely sign a veteran such as Cromartie for much cheaper, and let's say for this argument, we obviously sign Revis. We now have two young guys paired with two veterans, one of which is a Hall of Famer.

This entire offseason will be based on the path this organization is willing to take for QB. I think we are heavily going after Mariota, whether that be trading up or him falling to us. Either way, Geno Smith is not the answer and we will be getting someone. Revis plays at a high level for another 4 years. In those 4 years, he has helped develop two young corners, has played a leadership role on this team, and will have contributed a great amount to any success we have. Are we set to win next season? Possibly. But if we get a QB like Mariota, having Revis on this roster would be huge right when Mariota is ready to start and take over the offense.

The leadership, experience, and amazing play justify signing him on this team. Especially when it is our second biggest hole, outside of QB. You sign Revis, you forget about the position entirely for years. Is that in itself worth the money he will command? I think it is. Especially with a head coach who thrives on his defense blitzing. Having a Hall of Fame man to man corner would be amazing.
    Agree here lol

BacktoQueens and Big Blocker like this.
  12. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Now with the rumors of the Pats interested in Wayne or Harvin, Revis signing is a must. Additionally, we have a first round CB who is coming off a major injury, who the coach is non-committal to.

@@@@I say bring back Cro also.@@@@@

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I understand that at this point there are none, I was just expressing to BTK that based on the jets needs, while CB is a need I don't think its second to the QB.

In my opinion the jets 2nd biggest holes are an OLB that can actually make a difference, and not just be a mentor, or a linemen that can make a difference in both pass and run blocking, and can anchor the Oline for the next 5 years.

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The last time that particular straw stirred the drink to a Super Bowl win was 2004

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is a very different position than the one I quoted you taking before, where you said Revis was sticking it to you and me as Jet fans. Which was a ridiculous position to take, so now you've changed it. But in the meantime you totally ignored that the Jets were a party, or not, too when it came to dealings with Revis and his agents.

I've seen enough of the way both the Tanny and Idzik offices, under WOody, of course, handled relations with players. And to have seen that and blame the players and their agents for all bad things that occurred is just simple FO homerism.

16. Big Blocker

This is simply an absurd position. Nice work.

17. Big Blocker

Eggzactlee.

18. Big Blocker

Fair point, but the answer is obvious. Woody fired Idzik, and Ryan, so that's evidence he is trying a different approach. He may even have figured out he was wrong to blame the previous problems on Revis and his agents.

The problem now, though, is that the issue remains the same - Woody Johnson running the football team. I to be clear am not saying that is exactly what is going on here, but if fans are not concerned that it might be, then they haven't been paying attention the last several years.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not a fan of high-priced CB's but if the Jets could get Revis for a real 10-12M$ contract with no gimmicks I'd be ok with that.

20. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Im not saying that Woody and Idzik shouldnt hold some blame. Ive said numerous times that I would've loved to have Revis back last offseason but the Jets brass was stubborn and basically blew it. If we sign Revis last year maybe we only still win 4 games but chances are the Pats arent Superbowl champs. And that bothers me more than anything.

But Revis is an ego-maniac. A great player but not worth it anymore. He was worth it in 2010 when the Superbowl was a reality. Now he'd be a waste.

GangGreen1960 likes this.