LeSean McCoy traded to Bills for Kiko Alonso

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KWJetsFan, Mar 3, 2015.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I like how people are bringing up his total yards he had last year. If we ran Ivory that number of times, you'd all be going gaga over Ivory right now.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Imo both teams are getting rid of players they didn't want. McCoy used to be great but too much wear and tear. Hey, Rex trading defense for offense. Funny the Bills get tired of Spiller and pick up another running back the Eagles got tired of. I'll take Spiller.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

"ESPN's Josina Anderson provided a brief quote from a source close to McCoy on his feelings about today's news:

Honestly, he's frustrated...It's alright. It's the league. I told him that. I guess he just never experienced that, but he was like 'why me.'"

The source said he thinks McCoy is "not going to make it easy, that's for sure.""

Lmao

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Very short term minded move for Buffalo

Why wouldn't they just bring back Spiller? McCoy is better but not a promising young player + multiple million $$ more a year better...

#64 BrowningNagle, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

It definitely is. I think they don't want to waste the defense. Mario Williams and Kyle Williams are getting up there in age, Dareus is here only one more year before he gets Suh/Watt money next offseason, either from us or someone else, and Gilmore will get a big contract as well. I see a 2-3 year window there and I think they do too.

6. Bills over Jets

Eagles fans are losing their minds as well. I don't think either fan base is thrilled, and that makes sense given that both players were so popular.

7. Bills over Jets

I wouldn't be surprised if McCoy holds out for more money or a longer contract. He has all the leverage right now. The bills would have no choice but to give it to him. Can you imagine trading what may be your most popular player for someone who holds out? PR mess. I'd do it if I were McCoy and I bet he does, but eventually comes in.

8. NYJalltheway

Can you expect anything less? Have you known your co-workers for a long time? Wouldn't it suck to out of nowhere be completely done with working with them? On top of that, he is going to a shitty team, with a far more bleak future. I would be upset too.

It is a business though where you make millions, so it's hard to pity anyone in the league lol. (Except for guys with many concussions, with soon to be intense life problems for the rest of your days)

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

McCoy complained that he wasn't being used as the team's lead star back and he wasn't in some of their games. The thing for Philly is who will they get to replace his kind of production. Btw is Alonso physically done because if not it's a steal for the Eagles.

10. NYJalltheway

How would he be done? You're acting like this is a guy with 3 ACL tears, and a history of concussions.

11. Bills over Jets

Not sure. There is an insider on the Bills board who says the bills were very concerned about his knees long term, as this was the 2nd operation on this knee alone. I remember being upset when the Bills drafted him because the guy just didnt have much of a college career - he couldnt stay healthy. It seemed like he was out every other game. He then came in and played every snap his rookie year. I guess time will tell if that year was an outlier or if he'll be fine.

Even if he's fine though, he's a one dimensional player. He may be the best cover LB I've seen in a while. In the passing game he's a beast, can cover any RB out of the backfield, and is athletic enough to run down field. But in the running game he gets manhandled and pushed around as he is undersized. Even with the rookie year he had, the Bills decided they would move him to the weakside and signed Brandon Spikes to come play the middle because our run defense was so bad with Alonso in the middle. Alonso is probably the perfect 4-3 WLB, as he can run and chase like no other. Eagles run a 3-4 though and will put him inside, which is a questionable fit IMO. I'm sure he'll be a good player.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Great trade for Buffalo. McCoy is a game changer and will take incredible pressure off of Manuel.

_

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you gotta love the offensive coach trading away offensive talent because he thinks his coaching can make up for the loss of talent to a defensive coach who trades away defensive talent because he believes his coaching can make up for the loss of talent.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Regardless of the logistics on who got the better end of the deal it looks a bit crazy on the Eagles side. That being said you really have to appreciate the balls Chip Kelly has and the confidence in his system. Starting QB goes down? Start Foles the rest of the year. Desean Jackson has a career year? Trade him away. LeSean McCoy, the most productive runningback in the league the past half decade? See you later. He also just cut Trent Cole who is past his hay day although still a decent player and his best cover guy in Cary Williams.

You have to wonder how long it'll take for all of this to catch up to him or if he's perhaps gearing up all this cap space for a huge signing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. NYJalltheway

Some how I think it will work out just fine for him in due time.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with this at all. Looks like the Bills are trying to recreate the look of the 09/10 Jets teams for Rex in a way. Its a short-term window and the Eagles may look to have gotten the better end of the deal in the long run if Kiko progresses, unless that is the Bills manage to find decent QB play and make a serious run themselves. There's a pretty big if in there though.

17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Rex offense will drive McCoy into the ground

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are very few guys who have demonstrated the ability to take 300 touches and do well with them. McCoy is one of those guys. I think he's a better player and more valuable than any ILB. However he's also probably only 3 more years in the league.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

McCoy had a significant downturn last year from his great 2013 season. He still accounted for 1,474 yards and fumbled only 4 times in 340 touches. He's exactly what Rex wanted. The question as you point out is whether or not Rex can be disciplined enough to keep him healthy or whether he will play with the new toy too much and break it. I think the odds favor the latter case.

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I also doubt whether Roman will use him as effectively as Kelly did. MLcCoy is good in space. If they turn him into Thomas Jones they are wasting cap space.