Is Brady the Greatest QB of All Time?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by nyjunc, Feb 2, 2015.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I was fooled last year, I am not fooled often but I was coming into this year. Usually I have a pretty good handle on a win range for the Jets bit not this year.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I put too much faith in Brady deteriorating.

Shows what I know.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'd say Brady was the best of the FA/Protected QB generation.

Montana from 'Modern' era (NFL goes #1) then Staubach, Johnny U, Otto Graham as we go back & back.

Having said that the QB I liked to watch the most was Brett Favre. The gunslinger who had the arm, aim and ability to push the ball out there but was always just a fraction away from throwing the pick. real shame he got injured in the one season we had him.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The best pure QB I've ever seen by a wide margin was Marino. But he never won a SB so you're not allowed to put him in the conversation.

The era was so much different back then. For all of them.

So it has to be Montana.

Then Johnny U.

_

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The Browns went 114–20–4 with Otto Graham as their starter.

That's pretty damn good.

Too bad he looked like Adam Corolla.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I've only been watching since about '84 so any ranking I give before then are subjective to stats and highlight reels which are obviously highlights rather then picks and fumbles.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's the thing.... we really don't know when he was going to pull Bledsoe. There are so many unknowns like what happens if the Steelers don't knock Brady out of the AFC Championship game? Brady was playing bad and the Pats might not have won that game. Bledsoe came in and played great. What if the refs rule Brady did fumble against the Raiders? What if Mo doesn't KO Bledsoe? What we do know is the Pats failed to make the playoffs in year 3 for Bellicheat so if any of those things don't happen is it enough for Kraft to bring Belli back for year 4? 5-11 unknown 9-7? Maybe but then what FA's walk in 2003 , who doesn't sign? They started 0-2 in 01 and then Brady happened but what if Belli waits until week 5 or 6 to start Brady? What if they are 1-4 or 1-5 at that point? Or what if the Jets beat them in the 2nd game? We lost at home 17-16 but had we won that game we would have won the division at 11-5 and would have hosted either them or Oakland in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Too many unknowns but I wish I knew the answers to those questions.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You want the mods to kick you out of a thread? Why not just leave?

9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think he's as good as Manning, but I do think he's better than Elway. Comparing the two eras, I look at it like this ...

Brady is a poor man's Montana
    Manning is a rich man's Marino
    Big Ben is a very poor man's Elway

10. nyjunc

I can't stop laughing after that first sentence you wrote.

PickSix likes this.
  11. nyjunc

It was going to be sooner than later, would it have been enough to save the 2001 season? maybe not so the dynasty begins a year later instead but BB's job was already on the line. He was going to have to make the change.

Brady was not playing bad, it was in the 2nd qtr of the title game on the road and he had just completed a long 1str down into Pitt territory. Bledsoe did not come in and play great, he took over in great FP and led them on TD drive, did very little after that. Best thing he did was not turn the ball over.

NE had SB hangover in 2002, w/o a SB in 2001 they probably end up winning in 2002.

The Jets set up the dynasty.

-knock Bledoes out which immediately changed the season for NE and career for BB
    -blow 2nd NE game after dominating 1st half
    -lose to awful Buf team at home in week 16 which put NE in 1st place
    -beat Oak week 17 which meant NE got a bye

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

J

Is there an NFL team that has more self-inflicted wounds than the Jets?

I think not.

13. buffalo2214

buffalo2214 Member

Yeah I agree with you 100% on this. Love that sig dude

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

SB hangover? Dude they started out 3-0 including blowing out the Steelers and destroying us. I doubt they win in 02. It's not like they were world beaters in 01 so what's to assume they would have been in 02? I agree that Bledsoe's leash was short but we don't know when the cord would have been pulled. If it's week 5 maybe their season is over already, because of 9/11 their bye week was all screwed up so they wouldn't have waited that long but it's fun to talk about because we really don't know the answer. You're speculating that they win in 02 and I'm speculating that if Mo doesn't KO Bledsoe and they wait until the midway point of the season to make the change Bellichump is fired after the 02 season.

15. nyjunc

we were badly beat up early in the season, Pitt started 1-3 and KC was mediocre. NE got full of themselves after that great early start which was a mirage. w/o a SB win the year before I don't believe that happens.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Mentioning Brady and Montana in the same sentence should be adjudicated by having High Voltage electrodes placed on your balls.

Brady....really fucking good, for what they ask him to do, no doubt.

Could he survive the 70's or 80's...no way. He's a bitch like Manning. can't stand to be hit. At all.

Picture Brady getting hit like Kenny O...OMG Giselle would be in the Post every Monday.

Greatest play ever...

Montana in KC.

Looks down the right sideline, about 5 steps before the WR accelerates past the CB.

Looks down the middle of the field, locks on the safety...looks LEFT...safety moves left, TD strike from 40 yards out without ever looking back to the right.
    Looks left, throws right. 40 yards, all air.

17. nyjunc

Brady wouldn't get hit like Ken O'Brien b/c he could make quick decisions and read a defense. People forget the in the grasp rule in the80s to protect QBs. The athletes going after QBs today are head and shoulders better than previous generations, the collisions in the game today are greater than ever which is why they have to change the rules to make it safer. To be an NFL QB you have to be incredibly tough.

18. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

brady 6ft 4 3/8 225lb. terry bradshaw - 6ft 3 218lb. just sayin'

and there is no extra point for QB being tough. QB being tough is overrated. i want my QB to stay healthy. i want my QB to protect himself. Brady loves his body like a temple. lol

19. Bones_Jones

Bones_Jones Member

This is how i look at it. if your criteria is physical & throwing talent, then brady isn't your guy. who's more talented at throwing ability? brady or cam newton? watch cam newton's scout tape. he makes your jaw drop. transport Big Ben to 70's and he is bigger than most DE! and boy can big ben wow you with shorts on.

Brady is great not because he can do brett favre stuff. brady is great because he is one of the smartest and he doesn't flinch under pressure. his brain processor is just faster than others. QB is all about making a right decision at the right time. and 2 min left and you have to score 7 in the playoff. who would you take? the answer is brady & montana.

this is my all time ranking

1. brady (best resume of all, inspiring leadership, clutch)
    2. montana (clutch master, deceptively fast, undersized but huge heart)
    3. manning (severely underrated because of his playoff failure. i blame manning the ocoord)
    4. marino (greatest arm talent, good resume, bulk stats)
    5. favre (great arm/physical talent, bulk stats)

i'm not old enough to know anyone pre 1980. i get that graham, baugh, unitas, etc are great. i'm sure if they had today's fitness and nutrient, they probably will adopt. but if i just compare their 'football ability' to today's players 'football ability' then they aren't even up there with today's collegian athletes. they have never seen a grown man running so fast and hit so violently. the speed of the game is different. yes, QBs are protected. but QBs also have to process their decision faster because of the speed.

lastly, kam chancellor is 6ft 3 232lb and he plays a safety. guess how big LT was. as big as kam. and you bet we will see more kam chancellors of the world in the NFL.

20. nyjunc

Manning is severely overrated b/c of his meaningless reg season #s and Favre belongs nowhere near a top 5 all time list. He's lucky to crack top 5 in his era.