So now what is the plan at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Dec 14, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The only thing I am upset about the Mariota thing is that we lost the chance for a team to trade for him. I could see the Eagles offering this year's one, next year's one, a 2nd rounder and perhaps a player like Maclin to move up in the draft.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

We still have a shot at Winston. And, as has been pointed out ad nauseum by now, no one really has any idea how good any of these guys are going to be anyway. It's all guesswork, without the white lab coat, no less.

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

People think Matt Ryan is a possibility? Rooting for this franchise has apparently driven many of our fans insane.

Geno will probably be the starter in 2015 at this point, although if Idzik gets canned, that could change. We are not going to be able to draft Winston or Mariota, and there's no other QB coming out that you would play right away. The free agent potential QB signings (Hoyer, Locker, Bradofrd, etc.) would be pointless in my opinion since with a new coach and likely new GM in 2015, it becomes a total rebuild year where wins are irrelevant. You don't sign a Hoyer to try to win 8 games with a rookie head coach. It's lunacy.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Hey not bad. Finally a post I agree with. Good work.

One teensy problem is it sounds to me like Mariota just might be worth that first pick. But it still fits since I don't think the Jets will be able to land him.

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

You don't have to sign anyone to ridiculous contracts. No one is signing Hoyer, Locker, or Bradford to a ridiculous contract. You get a guy for a decent price and see what he can do in the new offense as a stopgap until you get a young guy in here to take the reins.

Axel3419 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This time last year it was tank for teddy and he went 30th overall, its easy to over rate prospects this time of year. This thread should be shelved till after the combine when we have a better idea what the scouts are thinking

LIJetsFan likes this.
  7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I guess you could sign them for a backup position on the cheap but does it really make sense? If you can't get your QB prospect in this draft, then you want to make sure you get him in the 2016 draft. A stopgap makes no sense in that context because the point of a stopgap is to "compete now" and get a couple more wins. 1-15 is a great outcome next season for a new coach/GM if it gets you in position to take your franchise guy in 2016 draft. 8-8 next season with Hoyer/Bradford/Locker with no developing young QB behind them is the single worst case scenario for this organization going forward. I say take a developmental flier in the 4th or 5th round, start Geno and have the developmental guy as the #2. If Geno bombs, then put the kid in, and if he bombs you get your desired outcome of the #1 pick. If Geno or the kid prove they can play, all the better. There is nothing to be gained in playing a veteran to try to get an 8-8 season to appease fans. Not for a new coach and GM in their first season.

8. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

We may have been secretly saved, and here's what I mean.
    Before I begin, I hope Winston goes to Tampa and Mariota goes to Tennessee

But , Connor Cook may just be that fucking guy. The game film I watch of this kid the more impressed I am.

He's got the height, the arm, seems to be able to read the defense pretty well.

He could very well end up being the best QB in the draft, but we really don't know that at all obviously.

But I'd be excited as hell for Connor! And I understand he said he intends to return to school but that a couple months ago. He could be a top 5 pick this year, under the New Jets regime.

and lets face it ,MSU isn't winning the championship next year so what's the point.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree.

For example the Winston case is on point. His baggage will probably push him down, who knows how far at this point? But whether that's a good thing or not depends in large measuer on WHY he might be pushed down, and imo the Jets, being in NYC, in particular is a situation that is probably not a good one for him.

The other thing about the plan of vet Qb in FA/trade followed by BPA modified Qb in the draft is timing. The Jets will probably be well served by getting both Qb's, but in getting the vet Qb first they can have more flexibility in the draft reviewing prospects on the basis of draft position v. value rather than having to count on getting a starting Qb in the draft.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Hopefully the plan is that they understand better than fans who just want to "win" the draft that in the past 10 years only 1 true elite QB has been drafted in the top 5 -- Andrew Luck, and in the past 15 years only two QB's drafted in the top 5 have even won Super Bowls -- the Manning's.

Red Menace and MikeSLTJ23 like this.
  11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

We need to draft Cook and throw him in the weight room and film room for a year. Dude would come out looking and playing like a beast

12. MikeSLTJ23

The point of any season is to compete. At the start of the year, everyone is 0-0. I'm not saying you blow the budget on a stopgap. But you don't ignore the position entirely in an effort to lose before the season even starts! Especially for one player, because that's all you're getting with that 1st pick. You're not rebuilding in one pick. A new GM would be writing his resignation letter by purposely losing games.

Axel3419 likes this.
  13. MikeSLTJ23

While I agree with this, there's no questioning that it's the most important position, so if there's a great prospect sitting there with your pick, you take the chance. The problem with most of those teams that are picking QBs is that they're just a dreadful team all around and don't have many other pieces to go along with a new QB anyway. You don't often go from a top 5 pick to winning Super Bowls, and even Peyton took an eternity to win the big one. The same can really be said about most players picked at the top of the draft. Most of these teams are no strangers to the top of the draft order.

14. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I kind of like Mannion from Oregon State

Cooper in the first, if he is there. If not best o-lineman maybe that kid from Iowa
    Mannion in the second round.
    O lineman third round
    O lineman 4th round

15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Mannion and Grayson both strike me as guys that have the potential for solid NFL careers. They'll both be there when we pick in the 2nd, and odds are one will be left when we pick in the 3rd. If the GM likes what he sees in either of them, it'll be a no brainer.

16. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If he does that he will be the best collegiate QB of all time statistically. Kinda scary for a head case...

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like Cook and think he can be good BUT he needs to be in a situation where he doesn't have to start day 1.

I think if he becomes a Jet we will need to add a vet to compete with Geno and let Cook develop and become more polished and work on his footwork.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Cook is staying at MSU for another year from everything he is saying.