This Fire Idzik crap needs to stop

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Dec 11, 2014.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

they didn't give them up b/c they were going to share at the new Stadium, they gave them up b/c of PSLs. Woody tried to get our own Stadium and he spent a lot to do it but it didn't work.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You don't know why they've given up their seats unless you've talked to all of them. The ones I've spoken to are split between both reasons - are you going to deny that, too?

Why are you so interested in being the chief apologist for the ownership and management of this team and all the boneheaded decisions they make?

3. nyjunc

I have a very hard time people gave up their tickets b/c we were going to share a stadium- a now neutral stadium. they were ok w/ "Giants Stadium" and the place in red and blue but now they would give up their tickets when the Jets were truly partners and it was neutral?

I deal in reality, times are tough right now but I have the ability to understand it hasn't been like this in a long time and we have been mostly good under this owner- the best stretch in the history of the franchise.

4. Ralebird

You need to get out of that basement every now and then. Thousands of people weren't okay with the Giants Stadium deal but hung on believing it was a temporary, if long term, situation that would end when the Jets finally got their own building. Metlife sealed the deal and they're out. When's the last time the Jets had no waiting list for season tickets?

And it's not "the best stretch in the history of the franchise," it's the "SAME OLD JETS!" a term that Woody and Rex were going to put to bed, remember?

5. nyjunc

we played there for 25 years, that's temporary? I am glad they are out, if they want to use that lame excuse rather than the real reason b/c of PSLs they can kid themselves.

the only reason we have no waitlist is b/c of PSLs.

6. Ralebird

Do you really read that poorly. or do you purposely attempt to manipulate quotes?

"a temporary, if long term, situation"

When Leon Hess loaded the trucks there was every indication that the move out of New York was indeed temporary. Hess insiders were quoted as saying he would be willing to pay the Meadowlands operators a penalty after five years to move to a new facility if an agreement could be made with Ed Koch or his successor. Hess and Koch did not have a history of cooperation and both were extremely single minded. Hess wanted his own building.

7. nyjunc

if they thought that in 1984 when they moved did they not notice any talks of moving back and how they continues to play at the meadowlands for 25 years? it's a copout, they didn't renew b/c of PSLs. They are lying to you and themselves saying it was b/c they were sharing a stadium if they were season ticket holders for all 25 years in giants stadium.

Hess didn't want his own building, if he did he would have built one or at least tried to build one. 5 years after Leon move Koch was out of office so any conflict w/ him didn't matter after that point. The first time we actually started really talking about a new Stadium was when Woody bought the team.

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Stop it. These assertions are absolutely laughable. I don't know how you can even believe what you're suggesting. People stopped buying them because of the PSLs. If they even say it's for another reason, then it's because they couldn't afford them more than likely and don't want to admit it. There's nothing wrong with that, but that is quite obviously as lame an excuse if there ever was one.

nyjunc likes this.
  9. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

I'm so conflicted on this issue. On one hand, it's nice to have a financially responsible GM. On the other hand, glaring holes were ignored to the point of neglect. Was this season resigned to a rebuilding year from jump street? If so, the draft is an even bigger failure with that in mind. That has to be my biggest gripe with this man and the front office in general. Terrible draft, he should get his walking papers for that alone.

10. Ralebird

You guys in New Jersey need to get out more and talk to some people with a broader view of what's going on in the world. I know of only one person out of about a dozen former Jets season tickets in my area who still have their seats and half were upstairs and not subject to PSLs.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Snyder in Washington. That's football. Dolan is in the same city, different sport. I'm sure there's more depending what you are judging on.

12. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I don't think Woody Johnson (Dick Dick) is a terrible owner. I don't see him meddling in the day-to-day affairs or having significant input into football decisions. He just has not made a good GM hire, ever. I think that's because he's not especially smart about what qualities are necessary. But he's TRIED to do well, hiring a consultant firm to help him. He's trying. Just not very good or lucky.

13. Randy Rasmussen

Randy Rasmussen New Member

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Woody is super involved because like most billionaire owners he thinks of it as his toy. He even went with Rex and Tanny in 2009 to interview Mark. As for having your own stadium, what for. It's stupid. There are 8 dates. Why build a billion six monstrosity which is almost never used. I recently went to a game at Levi's Stadium near SF and talked for awhile with one of ushers. He said the Niners wanted to share the stadium with the Raiders but the Raiders said no. The stadium is in the South Bay Area and not too far from Oakland. The place cost 1.2 bil. As for these new stadiums: Levi's claims to be the most technologically advanced stadium in the world. Who needs it. We were ok with Giants Stadium which could have been renovated for about 200m.

#354 pclfan, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Clark Gaines likes this.
  15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The Giants natural fan base is in NJ.

The Jets natural fan base is in Long Island.

Had the Jets been able to get a stadium in Manhattan, it would have been a corporate financial success though less so with the Long Island and suburban base (easier for Queens/Brooklyn). Woody would have taken that risk to get the massive corporate and expo business. A stadium on Long Island -- or more likely Queens (near Citifield) would have been the best for the majority of fans and would have been the best way to sell PSLs.

The Jets spent 40 years building up goodwill on Long Island. I can tell you as a former season ticket holder that I hated the commute to Giants Stadium -- it seemed like it was 6 hours to get home when they lost. That extra 12 miles from Shea Stadium seemed like 120 miles, especially going through Manhattan and the tunnel.

The Jets and Giants both know where their fan base is located. The Jets strength is Long Island, Queens, Staten Island, Rockland, and Lower Hudson Valley. The Giants is mostly NJ, though they obviously are strong in many Jet areas. But if you just go by the immediate area surrounding MetLife, the Giants have a HUGE advantage. That, the recent SB success, and the longer history all made selling 100% PSLs easier for Mara than Woody selling 66% PSLs.

One More thing....the collapse of the financial sector impacted the Jets much more than the Giants. The Jets lost a few suites plus hundreds of PSL sales just from Lehman and Bear going under; I know one guy in 1 department who said his floor had at least 10 Jet season ticket holders. When they lost their jobs, 2 years later, he said only 1 or 2 had re-upped. Others cut back...others were out of work still....others couldn't afford the same package at 50% wage cuts. Even corporations that have suites/tickets cut back; I know PG&E dumped Giants tickets and I know others that kept the Giants but dropped the Jets (don't know anybody who kept the Jets and dumped the Giants).

I now live in a location that it doesn't matter if the Jets played in Queens, Manhattan, or NJ. But the main reason I dumped my tickets after the 1988 season (a pretty good year, in fact) after waiting years to get them was the commute just killed me, especially for the 4 PM games. As Long Island's population has shifted more and more eastward (Suffolk), the commute has just gotten worse and worse (I lived in Brentwood, Exit 55 off the LIE I believe). Many of my friends are now out in the 60's off the LIE and equally east off the Southern State. Good grief, I've kept my Mets season tickets for 14 years and they have stunk for all but 3 or 4 of those years and they cost more than the Jets tix.

Damn, I really wanted that Queens stadium. LOL:mad:

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think when you see the fall in ticket sales (at regular prices-for many NFL games you can buy tickets online cheap) and the resistance of fans to pay for PSLs: what it shows is a lessening in the value of the NFL brand. A lot of factors play into that. It could just be a trend. Plus people could be tired of the many off the field issues and other aspects like injuries. The quality of play goes down when star players are out for the season. Plus even NFL players are now saying they wouldn't let their own kids play football. I see values of franchises going down in the future. The NFL cash cow (and their greed) has a time span. I wouldn't consider it a good investment down the road.

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Either that, or they need to come up with a better reason than sharing a stadium as to why they don't have season tickets anymore. If that's their reason, then as someone from NJ, I have to say it's one of the dumbest reasons I've heard.