Its all about the QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Nov 25, 2014.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread but as it just confirmed all my thoughts on this I wanted to post it in its own thread.

These are the ten worst teams over the last decade:

Texans
    Chiefs
    Buccaneers
    Redskins
    Dolphins
    Bills
    Rams
    Browns
    Lions
    Raiders

Arguably the Lions have one now (though I am not sure) but what do all those teams have in common? None have consistently had a top tier QB in that time.

Most of those teams have gone through 5 or 6 head coaches in the last 10 years - has it turned these teams into winners? No. Why not if a change in coach is likely to have such a positive impact on the team? Because the coach doesn't matter a damn compared to the quality of the players on the team.

It doesn't matter if the Jets fire Rex, or Marty or the whole coaching staff, it doesn't matter who they bring in to replace him, nothing the Jets do is going to turn this franchise around unless they get a top tier QB and anyone that thinks otherwise is going to be sorely disappointed.

To be 100% clear I fully support clearing house this offseason, I think its necessary, but I don't for a second think that a change in coach is going to do anything unless they somehow manage to secure a top tier QB and I really don't care at this point what they have to give up to get one.

Other teams have managed it multiple times - surely the Jets deserve to get lucky just once?

edit: so glad now I made the call late last night to leave it before the second half - what a performance :(

#1 JetsUK, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Snoopdogg likes this.
  2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its all about stability. It is not good for a young QB to be thrown behind this OLine or with such unimaginative playcalling. If you take Winston or Mariota or whoever, you owe it to them to get these things righted/fixed by 2015 or else you can't possibly throw them into the fire with such a high investment on them.

There need to be game changers on offense and in such a passing league, if you can't take advantage of the broken passing system as an offense or to combat against it as a defense, you just aren't going to win many games. To pass well, you need not just a worthwhile QB but a reliable running game, actual competant pass protection, proper playcalling and good targets if not at least one game changer. Jets arguably have none of these addressed. On defense, the Jets have a good Front 7 albeit the pressure they get is inconsistent and a back four that is easy pickings and can be tooled with a few proper adjustments (Back shoulder passes, short intermediate passes for fear that a Jets CB would get burned deep, throwing it up to a big target on the outside when given a 1 on 1 opportunity).

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on making a blockbuster trade or shelling out big bucks in FA getting a top tier QB just doesn't come that easily.
    One thing for sure if you try and get one via the draft you need a coaching staff in place that can actually develop talent and a QB.

I am confident that had the Jets been able to draft Luck or Wilson under Rex's watch that he could have quite easily turned them into shit.

ajax and VaBchJet like this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am more than happy for them to shell out big bucks or make that blockbuster trade - whatever it takes because without one we aren't ever doing Jack.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We certainly need to make sure the offensive line is decent enough to not get our new young QB killed out there. To be fair, our offensive line isn't terrible, I blame the lack of passing attack and poor decision making from our QBs the main reason why our offensive line struggles so much.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Did getting benched ring a bell for Geno Smith. Something Rex never did to Mark until it was too late. That's what I'd like to know. I'd start Geno on Monday night. If he's bad that's it for him.

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Starting Vick is the worst thing this team can do.

Its either you give Simms the full week of prep or give Geno Smith the full week of prep and try and see what either do. Simms would get killed by this OLine so Geno Smith probably makes more sense but I also know the sharks who will go to the game next Monday will be on a boo per bad play mentality so the fans would be pro Simms.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's pretty clear the Jets don't have their QB on the roster right now barring some kind of miracle out of Geno Smith or Matt Simms. Until they find the QB nothing is going to get much better.

9. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Amen brother, it is all about the QB.

Go up and get one this year. There is no better use of a high first round pick. Stop with the value crap, BPA, wide receiver, whatever. Nothing will help this team with such a monumental bag of suck at the QB position.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The Qb position is overrated because of the really good ones like Aaron Rodgers. But getting a Qb like him is like winning the lottery and you know the odds of doing that.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So Rex almost getting to back to back Superbowls with Mark Sanchez as his qb means what exactly?I'm a Rex guy but his time is up he reminds me of Andy Reid during his last season with the Eagles.And to say coaching doesn't matter as much as quality players just isn't true,look at Guys like John Hardbaugh and Bruce Arians winning with any qb that's on there roster and fixing bad qbs.We need an offensive guru to take over this team I just don't know who that is

Red Menace likes this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I like how top QB = winning except when it comes to Flacco where winning = top QB.:D

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Having a great QB makes winning easier, they can carry a team that is struggling and win a couple games on their own.

Teams can win with an average QB, but they need to be good teams, coached well. There is not a HOF QB in our future, our best chance is to build a good team and find a good coach.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Its not just the qb, it's also what you put around them and how you develop. There are 3-4 QBs is my opinion right now no matter where you put them I think they will win and the 4th is right on the edge. Besides those 4, you need the team and system around the QB AND the right QB.

The Jets haven't found that combination yet.

And I do believe changing coaches can help. You need the coach to mesh with the QB.

Turbocharged23 and slimjasi like this.
  15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

My interest is what happened between the pats game and the Bills game. Geno wasn't awesome in New England, but he played well and kept the jets alive. Showed progress. 10 throws against buffalo undid all of that.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. I said in my post I think its time to move on in terms of the coaching

2. Sorry, but it is true - quality of players >>>>>> coaching - put a good coach in charge of an average team and 9 times out of 10 he is going to do nothing - put an average coach in charge of a good team and 9 times out of 10 he will enjoy great success - and if that team has a top tier QB you can pretty much guarantee it. Look at Caldwell's record with and without Manning - was he an amazing coach with Manning but a terrible one without him? Look at the Broncos with and without Manning. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but the fact is I would take a top tier QB over the greatest coach of all time any day of the week.

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The good quarterbacks outside of Rodgers, Manning, Brady, and now, maybe Luck, need to be placed in the right situation to consistently win big. And the head coach is a big part of that "right situation."

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

obviously the QB is not the entire piece of the puzzle, the thread title is just hyperbole, but without a good QB its so, so much harder to win in this league especially with all the changes made to make it more passing friendly - and again no-one is saying a change in coaching staff wont have a positive impact but that without having a good QB a change in coach in itself is unlikely to be the panacea that lots of posters on this board seem to be expecting it to be - bring in the greatest coach of all time and he isn't winning the division with this roster and in particular with what we have at QB

19. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

We pissed away a good chance at getting a good QB when we beat the Steelers. Free Agency or bust right now.

srains likes this.