QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

you don't know that… theres no way of knowing that one way or another.

there could be a whole big bidding process where we need to give up an arm and a leg for one player.

trading up just ups the risks with drafting him, perhaps unnecessarily. As is not every top 10 franchise QB prospect pans out, you make MM sound like such a 100% sure thing. odds are good with him developing into a good QB, better than most clearly, but not so sure that we KNOW he'll be great in the long term, a standard barely anyone reaches.

But hey theres risk in every prospect right? so for a team thats looking for an answer at QB he's worth the risk of ONE measly pick…. just not worth the risk of MULTIPLE picks.

because if he gets hurt or just doesn't translate his game to a pro level that we want then guess what? we screwed ourselves in other facets because we skipped out on other prospects in a fit of desperation IN ADDITION to any other risk.

Qb league? maybe, but theres a whole team needed to help a QB succeed too. we can't forget that. I know we need a QB for the future, but desperate times DO NOT call for desperate measures, going all chicken headed will just mean we set ourselves back THAT MUCH FURTER if anything, ANY.DAMN.THING. goes wrong. He HAS to be ALL WORLD in order to justify a high pick move up.

I say this liking MM a lot. If he's there he should be our pick. but damn I hate the idea of trading up, we have too many needs, we can't just throw everything we have at ONE Qb who MIGHT be good and act like that will solve all our problems.

it might cost more than you think to do so, and really he might not even pan out. Not worth it, nobody is, not for a team that can use as much young cheap talent as possible.

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

seriously who the hell has traded up that way and WON lately?

It looked that way for the skins, maybe it still will, but theres a helluva lot of things that haven't gone as hoped there.

its not exactly a move sure to bring success.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

"I'd play my heart out for the Jets." - Marcus Mariota

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

File that under "what did you expect him to say

Ozymandias and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Hundley looked pretty good today in Pasadena. I am in the Mariota camp, but Hundley is definitely built to take NFL type hits better than the duck and we probably wouldn't have to trade anything to get him.

Is he worth a high 1st round pick? I am not so sure.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When the Bills moved up from 9 to 5 to draft Watkins, they had to send their ninth overall pick along with their first- and fourth-round selections in 2015 to Cleveland. I would expect the Jets to have to pull a similar trade to move up (currently we would have to move ahead of TB, so this would require us to move from 5 to 2 or 1). Mariota is a good prospect - I would say he's prob the best QB prospect in this draft - but you have to be 100% sure that, if you make the selection that he's definitely the guy. If he doesn't pan out, the Jets will be fucked going forward.

TonyMaC likes this.
  7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And what the hell does failure in the past have to do with success or failure in the future?

It's not a predictive process?

"A" has failed in the past therefore "A" will fail in the future.

Doesn't work that way. The best example is Luck, but Indy didn't have to trade up for him. They stank at the right time. If Indy had to move up a spot or 2 they do it every time.

If Mariota becomes a franchise player at the most important position in all of sports, the trade up will have been worth it.

If it fails we continue to be the same old Jets we've been for more than 4 decades. Nothing lost. Keep running through GMs and coaches and regimes every few years. Ho hum.

If we succeed, it's franchise changing.

Yeah, let's go get a left tackle or a WR because we don't have the balls to change our franchise.

_

8. JStokes

All the young cheap talent in the world means nothing without that QB.

_

9. JStokes

Yeah and the Jets gave up their first rounder, a second rounder and 3 jag players to go from 17 to 5.

It's not going to take a king's ransom. Especially if both Mariota and Winston are sitting there. I actually hope Winston plays great the rest of the year and has a great combine and clean offseason.

_

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mangini is also an idiot when it comes to trades, he needed players from his regime to fit his defense over in Cleveland. You really believe the Jets could pull a trade like that again? I highly doubt it. It's going to cost more to move up.

Hypothetically we are talking about moving up from 5 to 1 or 2.

11. JStokes

Oh I agree 100%, I just don't think it's going to take a Watkins deal to get it done.

_

12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The problem is you are comparing Mariotta to Luck.

If we believe MM is as good as Luck - then sure. I don't think anyone believes MM is in that same class of QB which is why there are some people who are skeptical about trading the farm for him.

MM is a great prospect but I don't consider him a franchise changing talent that justifies giving up future first(s) for.

The 1985er likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is a good question.

The ones I can think of that did fairly well recently were Eli Manning (although Rivers turned out to be the better QB), Flacco, Kaepernick (not sure he should count as he was a 2nd rounder). But I agree it seems there are lot more regrettable decisions on tradeups such as Manziel, Sanchez, Griffin, Quinn and so on. But then again it just is consistent in that bust rate on QBs is so high. Unless one is close to 100% sure I would rather use that pick on someone who is more of a sure thing such as Cooper or a OL and sign a veteran QB such as Locker, Bradford, Stanton or Hoyer where we know the ceiling may not be high but the floor is not the low. Then either draft a QB in 16 or take one in round 2 or 3 that we can develop on the bench. The way things are going for Winston he may still be available in round 2. With our OL and receiving core no young QB will succeed. I would much rather fix those problems 1st.

14. JStokes

I'm not comparing the two players, Luck was as much of a lock as anyone and MM is not the same type of prospect. I'm talking about the situations, a franchise desperately needing a franchise QB. Indy Lucked out and didn't have to trade up.

We are going to need to, but not all that far. If we become a 7 win team for the next 5 years, we're never going to be in a position like we are this year with a prospect as good as MM (again, not as good as Luck).

We're going to be drafting 10-16 and the trade up will be much steeper for an inferior talent.

Gotta roll the dice now when we've got a shot.

_

_

15. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Top 5 pick.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That was before the lockout when there wasn't a rookie pay scale. Draft currency is a lot more valuable now.

17. NYJets17

Jets certainly need one of the two between Jameis and Marcus. Or atleast I want one :D

18. JStokes

Yeah but it also isn't much of a financial killer to bust on a QB. I honestly don't see a big bust factor in MM, but the money doesn't cripple you like in the past.

But yes, draft picks are worth more today, but that draft trade chart is outdated.

_

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is where Winston is mocked now but how far will he fall by draft time next year. Look where Geno and Bridgewater were at this time before the draft. With all of Winston's character problems when people start nit picking and examining him it would not be surprising to see him drop out of round 1.

20. NYJets17

Winston is and has always been a better QB than Geno and Teddy.

Do you watch FSU play? They are a terrible team with Jameis saving them game after game. He's a top 5 talent in the draft and I guarantee that's where he'll be drafted. Maximum slip is MAYBE to the 7th pick and I even doubt that.