Big Question: QB in the first round or a Flanker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Just ignore this bafoon.

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

74 likes this.
  3. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Apparently Jameis Winston is a Jets fan and posts here.

Hi Jameis. Hope you didnt actually do that!

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Winston would probably be the #1 pick in the draft but he's an immature buffoon. What I don't understand is how people don't grasp that the likelihood of him getting into high profile trouble is so likely in a city like NY. I wouldn't want my team to take him in the first few rounds even if I was a fan of a much quieter team like St Louis or Tennessee, but absolutely no way for the Jets. This major factor basically makes a comparison between he and Mariota inane, since Mariota's talent is marginally worse if at all. Basically his only question is the conversion to a pro-style offense, but I don't believe this will be an issue personally. Mariota has all of the traits to be a #1 overall pick, and if I had to guess he will go #1 depending on who's picking.

Although Mariota runs a system designed to make a QB's decision making easier, a 24 to 1 TD vs interception ratio is still a remarkable feat. Even in the greatest college system ever, guys still make more mistakes than that 99.99% of the time. At this point you can see he has nearly all of the ball skills you could want, and the combine process will show whether he has the last couple that aren't used in his offense. I really would be surprised if he doesn't have those down too but we'll see.

5. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

There's no need to draft a qb in the first round. Matt Simms will suffice.

6. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

7. Falco21

He had a terrible night last night against Louisville.

Don't let this fool you. Short passes that turned into monster yardage by the receiver or back. Hell, in one drive they ran the same 2 yard pass to the back three times in a row and gained 12+ yards every single time. He finished the night with three interceptions, his highest in a game ever. If it wasn't for major luck on their side, we would have lost that game. Jaemis was terrible last night. Not just turning the ball over but terrible decisions. He also took a HUGE sack that put FSU out of field goal range and potentially could have lost them the game.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not his best night, he got off to a rough start, but he also played on the road in a short week against a better defense than Mariota's played against all year. And he still won the game. And although he made some bad decisions he also made some clutch throws.

Outside of the Michigan St. home game this year, which I will admit he played well, every time Mariota has faced a tough defense in his career, aka every time he receivers/RBs didn't run circles around the defense, he has lost or played poorly or both. The Stanford games (only team that plays D in that conference), the Kansas St. Bowl game where they won but he was iffy... We will see how he does vs. Stanford again saturday. - I am skeptical but maybe he will make a believer out of me.

Winston is the better prospect on the field. And for this Jets team in which a QB is going to step into a mess? Winston is the way better option. He has shown the ability to block out off the field stuff on game day and the resiliency to stand in there and play good when the guys around him are breaking down or against a defense that poses a challenge.

Mariota I'm not so sure about. He could be Kaepernick if he had a very good offensive line, an established offense and good weapons (similar to SF) but we don't have that here. If Mariota came here he'd face 3 things he's never seen before:
    1) tough defenses/pass rush
    2) breakdowns with his offensive teammates (line/WRs) and
    3) a swarming media.
    Disaster potential is there.

Winston at the very least has seen nos. 1 & 3.

ajax likes this.
  9. Falco21

This is all true with either one starting immediately. I don't think they should. I think we should take Mariota and let him marinate on the bench behind a veteran while we help build the roster. Take this offseason to help bring pieces in at offensive line and wide receiver. Let him learn the system for a year. Next offseason, bring some more pieces in on the offensive line and receiver positions and then let Mariota go to work. Instead of throwing him into the fire and possibly ruining another prospect, build the team for him and the let him go at it.

10. BrowningNagle

Has years of drafting/acquiring wrong QBs taught us anything??? This team has overvalued things like intangibles, leadership and maturity vs. straight talent at the position forever now and that's possibly why we haven't had a franchise QB.

If this team desperately needed a RB and the prospects looked the same as Winston/Mariota with one player being more talented and more polished for the pro game (Winston) vs. the other with better intangibles (Mariota) - Winston would be the same dunk choice. Why do things differently for QB? Better yet - why not try the more talented route for once since this organization hasn't done that in forever either..

Just once I want to see them put their balls on the line and decide Winston might need to mature but he's the better player and we are in the business of acquiring better players. He could mature anyway- look at Cam Newton... always talented. Immature at first but improved. I'd take Cam Newton here in a heartbeat if that's the path Winston takes.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Well said, sir.

_

12. JStokes

The way a team should be built. You start with the QB-the FOUNDATION- sit him, surround him with pieces and an Oline and THEN unleash him.

_

13. Falco21

We figured it out!

Someone please go tell Rex and Idzik about our findings.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. JStokes

If we take a WR if Mariota is sitting there so we can give Geno another weapon to figure whether he's really the man, I will go to Florham Park and unload explosive diarrhea on Idzik's desk.

_

Snoopdogg likes this.
  15. Falco21

Suck for Cooper!!!

Geno needs a weapon for Christ's Sake!!!

16. JStokes

Not to derail the thread but this has been bugging me for a while.

Does anyone here think Cam is really any good? His reputation precedes him, he's a very talented guy, a physical specimen and a dynamic runner, but I don't see a top flight QB.

Would I take him? Absolutely. Am I pining for him? Not really.

Take last nights game. I saw a beautiful ball or 2 and the rest was simply underwhelming.

Don't get the hype.

_

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't understand why franchises are so against sitting their franchise guy for a year these days. Well I do understand it everyone became so enamored with Luck & all the quarterbacks from his class that the hope was all these guys would turn into great players immediately.

It's a waste of talent to bring someone in from spread systems and start them if the same type of spread system isn't going to be run like the Redskins did with RG3. If you're not drafting a pro system quarterback out of college they need to sit and even then they should still sit. Jacksonville had the right idea announcing Bortles would sit then threw the plan away and threw him to the wolves in a meaningless season. The rookie quarterback sensations aren't going to work unless they come to win now teams with a good running game and strong defense. If those things aren't in place why even waste the talent?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. JStokes

Again, I like Cooper but he's not a 6-5 unstoppable force like Megatron.

He's not even Sammy Watkins.

You're going to pass up a potential franchise QB for Sammy Watkins lite?

Nice player. Not passing on Mariota for him.

_

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He had a very disappointing night but he's dealing with the same type of problems Matt Ryan is with 4 backup lineman in including his left tackle being an undrafted free agent from Canada. He also understands what he's doing, can run an NFL offense effectively including audibles and is a stand up guy. I understand people want to stop hearing about intangibles but Cam really is a guy that will try and run over a 340 defensive tackle if it means winning the game. He was extremely immature in whining whining to the media and such when he came out of school and grew up. The difference between him and Winston though is that Cam never had the attitude of a demi-god that Winston does as if he's above the law. That's a huge red flag in a franchise quarterback.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

Last night he was bad. But he's a damn good QB. The reputation thing is just the opposite, actually. People think of him like a loser because he's a punk but in reality he's a very good young QB. This year he doesn't have a lot around him.