Marcus Mariota or Amari Cooper?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Franchise changing pick...Mariota or Cooper?

1. Mariota

27 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Cooper

24 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Neither

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How many times have we been through this and we were ALL WRONG? People said the same thing about Geno Smith (even though some of us here knew he sucked).

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Geno definitely had questions about maturity and work ethic. He dropped for a reason. As a 1st rounder, I didn't want him. As a 2nd rounder, I was very intrigued.

3. 101GangGreen101

I agree, BUT there were also several articles and assessments that Geno Smith was a "Gym Rat"

4. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

My order of preference:

1. Winston
    2. Peat
    3. Mariota

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Again with the irrelevant "stat" that does nothing to further your argument and you've already admitted that Mariota is better than any Oregon QB since Fouts.

_

6. JStokes

That sounds like the best plan ever for building a consistent sustainable winner in the NFL.

Good job.

_

7. 101GangGreen101

That really saying much? Not really. Saying Mariota is better than Joey Harrington?

Sustained success isn't achievable by acquiring 1 elite player at 1 position - the QB position is important, but last time I checked we need offensive lineman and receivers also.

"My Plan" would have worked if we acquired weapons and o-line in 2013 and grabbed the QB in 2014 - like I originally wanted for this franchise.

8. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Have to go with Mariota for many reasons. Main one is there are other great receivers such as Kevin White, Jalen Strong, ect but other than the he head case in Winston I don't see anyone close to Mariota.

9. JStokes

You can't steal that--that was MY plan :D

I wanted to go Warmack and Cooper or Fluker (unfortunately Cooper went before our first and Fluker before our our 2nd pick but I would have settled for Pugh--really really bright kid) and Teddy in 2014 and I would have shut up forever.

_

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

From what I've read, neither of the guards are really lighting the world on fire. But that draft positionally would have been incredible. Our line would be fantastic right now and we would have a franchise QB. And perhaps another high first round pick considering how far Teddy fell.

It would suck not having Sheldon, but Ivory could rush for 2000 yards with Warmack-Mangold-Cooper (or what they were projected to be)

11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

12. JStokes

Yeah, I tend not to judge my pre-draft opinions in hindsight. As I've said 1000x here, we're just fans and all we can do is guess. None of us are "right" or "wrong" because none of us know anything. We can only GUESS right or wrong.

I wanted to grab two MASSIVE OLineman and take my chances in the incredibly strong QB class of 2014. I wanted NOTHING to do with any QB in that incredibly WEAK 2013 QB class.

Take our chances with Sanchez and a vet journeyman, most likely have a top 10 pick and then grab the franchise QB. Solid OLine, solid QB and the franchise is on the right track.

Unfortunately we went in a different direction and now we're staring at disaster.

We may never be in this position in a long time, to be picking top 5 with a stud QB sitting there for us.

We MAY, but next year we could end up 8-8, be drafting 16 and have no true stud QBs available.

_

Brook! likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Hey this board is archived.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No to Mariota.. Overrated. Great talent for sure, but I think he's overrated. He fumbles too much, and plays in a system much like Geno where receivers are WIDE open. I think he has great potential (high ceiling) but can be a major bust. Cooper is going to be a superstar receiver and WILL make his QB better. I am hoping Cook will come out this year and think he would be a much better option at QB.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hi M

What do you like in Cook exactly and what don't you like in Mariota. Also thoughts on Winston?

Stokes

What do you think about Cook sir? You think he will survive the first round if he comes out? Do you think picking Cooper with our first if Mariota and Winston are gone and then trading up to first again to pick Cook possible?

16. JStokes

I like Cook as a player. I'm not blown away by him. He could be a less mobile Nick Foles or a stronger armed Blaine Gabbert. I'm have no idea. I've now seen him play pieces of about 5-6 games and I went in wanting to love the guy, wanting there to be a few options for us next year. I'm just not there on him. I don't see him completing the easy passes, don't see incredible accuracy and I see a big gangly guy who doesn't look that fluid.

Mariota I've been impressed with every single time I've seen him play. A guy's open, he hits him. Even into tight windows, he hits him. His footwork looks very smooth, he's incredibly athletic--mind you I don't want a running QB--but I see a guy who can get around very well for a guy his size. Stands tall, great arm, athletic, looks totally in control and from all reports is very intelligent and a hard worker/quick study. Not that Cook isn't. He hasn't played in a pro style offense but I'd rather have the superior player who is intelligent and develop him. None of these college QBs in pro style offenses have played in the NFL and the experience they've gotten is 2 years when they're 19-21 years old--I'm not sure you give Mariota 2 years when he's 22-24 and he won't excell in a pro set offense. I find the "experience" flaw overstated.

And the argument that he's "raw" is just a bogus red herring. The guy has played every single game Freshman, Sophmore and Junior year at the highest level of NCAA competition. Every college QB is "raw" in relation to the NFL, but in terms of his experience, he is anything BUT raw.

_

Brook! likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

Hahah Blaine Gabbert nice.

18. JStokes

Nice reading comprehension.

I didn't say he was Blaine Gabbert.

I said I can't tell whether he's a version of Nick Foles (really really good) or a version of Blaine Gabbert (really really bad).

Neither can you. You have NO idea one way or the other.

Btw, you have no idea whether Amari Cooper is going to be a version of Sammy Watkins or a version of Charles Rogers.

_

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Who cares where he went to college? Just because those guys flopped doesn't mean Mariota will. Different era, different coaching staff, and most importantly different player.

What other QB has Tennessee produced other than Peyton? Cal and Aaron Rodgers? Freaking Southern Miss and Brett Favre? All those guys are/were extremely good in the NFL. Should we only draft QB's from Stanford because they've produced Plunkett, Elway, and Luck? Or Alabama because they produced Broadway Joe and Bart Starr? I don't care where a prospect goes to college, if the kid can play then he can play, period.

Maybe I'm wrong about Mariota, but what I see in him is what I want in a QB. Great arm, poise, confidence, athleticism, prototypical build, work ethic...I could go on and on. He does have flaws, but every QB coming into the NFL has flaws. He has the things you can't teach, and he has smarts and drive to learn the things that can be taught. That's all I can ask for.

20. 101GangGreen101

That comparison is unwarranted. No QB should ever be compared to that piece of trash that is Blaine Gabbert. Cook has a stronger arm anyway. At the end of the day, we don't know how good these players could be. I could stigmatize Mariota by naming him after some QB bust too, it's really not hard.