If Harvin sticks, how big of a need is WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by irishwhip03, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I know I'll get grilled by some but I think Decker is a #1, the guy has been good when healthy. He gets separation and he beat Revis a few times to the point that Revis had to hold him on multiple occasions. If Harvin works out I think Decker, Harvin, Kerly is a good way to go. I might look for a guy like Austin Hill (who is a beast but tore his ACL in 2013) as an insurance policy and a guy to bring along without the pressure of having to produce immediately in the 3rd round. (Honestly he may be gone by then)

I think the most pressing need is CB, Trae Waynes is fast, physical and lockdown, as much as I hate going defense again in the 1st round.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Either way it goes with Harvin my opinion is you have to go with a stud O-lineman in rd.1.

If Harvin sticks I'd like to see us sign a veteran WR in FA who comes at a cap friendly #, along with drafting one in possibly the 3rd or 4th round.
    I also think a lot has to do with what is available in FA.
    Can we solve our CB problem there or do we need to go for one in the draft.

We obviously need to identify our needs and see what options are available between FA & the draft and move forward accordingly.
    If Harvin works then WR isn't someone that needs to come in and make an immediate impact.
    O-line & corner are positions where we need an impact guy immediately.

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I'd go after Miles Austin i think he would compliment decker perfect on the outside with Kerl, Amaro playing the middle. Percy staying in short coverage like he does best would really have a defense playing very conservative, they'd have to.. or blitz and pick their poison.. but were the jets so it won't happen that way.

TNJet likes this.
  4. SexyRexy11

SexyRexy11 Member

Anyone know anything about Tony Lippett out of Michigan State? Saw him play last week, and DAMN he looks like a fucking stud. I haven't heard his name talked about much, and I was wondering what the deal is (I don't watch much college football).

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

#46 Red Menace, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I still think the Jets need to acquire a receiver that can make plays on the outside. I hope you guys saw Cooper play last night - he's hands above the best receiving prospect

8. Red Menace

I don't think he will be that explosive player we need at WR, he has had a couple of years to build chemistry with Cook.

I don't think he is 1st round material, but if he were picked up by the jets in the second round, depending on who is on the board, I wouldn't be upset.

#48 Red Menace, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Same here, saw him last week and was impressed.

_

10. Red Menace

Let the grilling begin....just joking,

I agree about Decker.

Im going to respectfully disagree with you about the CB, personally I believe it's the QB and HC position that needs to be addressed.

I'll discuss the HC at another time, but as far as QB is concerned, we need someone who can primarily play from under center, if the jets plan on running the WCO.

It's a system that is based on 3,5,7 step drops.

It was never meant to be played from the shotgun formation 95% of the time.

Look at the coaches who play the west coast, primarily GB. Aaron Rodgers plays about 50% of the snaps from under center.

With the receivers you mentioned, and a better QB, this WCO offense can do well in my opinion.

We have and oline that is built for the run but we have a QB who can only play from a shotgun formation, it's not going to work.

Even if you address the cb position, the offense is still the Achilles Heel as it is presently constructed, with the QB we have.

JMO