Week 8 - Bills @ Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 16, 2014.

1. JETSrealMCCOY!

And that is exactly why losing Spiller and Jackson will hurt the Bills. The Bills Off. will be more 1-D and the Jets can feel more secure about bringing the heat.

2. buffalo2214

buffalo2214 Member

Jackson yes, Spiller is a very poor pass blocker and neither back has had a 100 yard game rushing this year. Brown and Dixon should be able to provide adequate pass blocking. I look for Orton to connect on a lot of 3 step drops. Our offense has pretty much been one dimensional all year long so I don't think our passing game will be shut down very much at all. Bryce Brown could be our ace in the hole in this game. He has the size and speed and can catch passes out of the backfield as well. Should be an interesting game all the way around

3. foreboding

foreboding Member

So your kind of a jerk eh. The Jets fans calling the Bills fans dumbass is pretty classy. Like... we all hope our teams do well.. right?
    Game will be played and the best team will liekly win.

I for one, am befuddled as to why the Jets always seem to bring their A Game to the Bills. Hence, despite our records, I am not confident.
    I think the Bills have more talent, but Rex seems to get the most out of your players.

Watch out for Dead Moose to Watkins wise guy. The old Moose might surprise you and I would take the Moose over Geno or Vick.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Kyle Orton is going to have his ass handed to him, on a silver platter, Sunday.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It would be so Jets for them to follow up tough games against Denver and NE by getting crushed by Buffalo.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah like when they came home against the Dolphins in 2012 and got railed out...

7. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

The Jets are going to take there frustration out on the Bills. Finally, I see a win in our near future

WIDE RIGHT

JetLifeLo likes this.
  8. dma0034

dma0034 New Member

As A Bills fan this game scares me a bit. I honestly don't know who has a better D-Line the Bills or Jets (could make an argument) but I watched the Bills defense destroy the Bills offense in Training Camp (that was with Manuel though; Orton has played a lot better). Before this game with Spiller/Jackson the Bills couldn't run the ball.... their guards are bad, very bad; but it's okay because all they have to do is play Wilkerson and Richardson this week. The Jets secondary isn't very good; Bills have a good cast of Wide Outs; Watkins, Woods, Hogan, Williams and Chandler is alright (being nice).

For Jets fan can forget about any of the Bills game prior to last year; Bills have a new coach and a much better defense compared to then. You may not know the name but ask any Bills fan about Justin Rogers. You'll know him for making Geno look like Peyton in that 27-20 game last year. 250 yards and 2TDs against him. He was cut after that week. The Defense is very good and will make the Jets beat them through the air; I'll take that.

What worries me about this game is the Bills mastery of turning the ball over the last few weeks. You'll see the Bills won 17-16 against a bad Vikings team; what you may not know is they turned the ball over 4 times (Fumbled 5 times (2 recovered) and Orton's one pick a week and all took points off the board for the Bills). The week before against the Patriots: 3 Turnovers. That doesn't exactly give me a lot of hope since the starting RB, Bryce Brown, has had fumbling issues in the past.

Ultimately I see this game like this: If the Bills win the turnover battle they'll win; if the Jets win the turnover battle they'll win.... and I can see it getting out of hand for either team since neither has shown the ability to stop the bleeding in recent history. I have the Bills 27-21

Edit: Bills just replace their worst O-Line men.

#148 dma0034, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If you think it through it does make sense. The Bills are a run first team, at least as far as I've been able to tell from the limited viewings I've had of the team, it's what they do best. But you take out the best weapons they have and it makes them less likely to focus on their strength, which normally would be a bad thing for them...in this case it may force them to rely more on the air aspect than they normally would and the Jets pass defense being what it is may turn that in to an advantage.

Teams tend to do on offense what they think they do best, take away what they think they do best and it forces them to do what they don't excel at.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the great shootout of 2014 between Kyle Orton and Geno Smith. This one should be very entertaining so say the least. Since both teams have decent DLines, the running game just might be marginalized and it will be up to the passing game to determine the outcome. I'm hoping for a combined 700yds passing thru the air. :)

11. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

I will say this...........the Bills are 1-4 in games that I've attended in Jersey..........I'll be there Sunday *gasp*

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The great Bill Walsh said about Steve Deberg - "he keeps both teams in the game". The same could be said about Geno Smith and Kyle Orton. I expect an epic shootout sunday where the QB with the ball in his hands last will determine the outcome!!!! (but not necessary FOR his own team!)

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

NFL teams are not that dumb, and it is not that simple. NFL teams make you prove you can stop their strength, and often times that means defenses allocating extra resources to do just that. Offenses then try to take advantage of the places you pulled those extra defensive resources from. If defenses are trying harder to stop the run, they may have bigger defensive linemen in, or bring safeties closer to the line. Even against a quality run stuffing defense like ours, a good rushing team still threatens to make plays on the ground. By diminishing the strength of an offense like the Bills, which is the rushing attack, the Jets now have to allocate fewer resources to defending the run, and can keep more DB's in the game and play them a bit deeper, and blitz more frequently. It is a twofold effect, it weakens the Bills' strength on offense, and allows us to bolster our weakness on defense.

The idea that a team losing their strength being a good thing is just silly. If the Bills had their RB's available, they'd still attack us through the air, but they'd have a threat of a ground attack to keep us honest. It's completely backwards logic.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Geno is on to something.. now he has a new weapon to add to his B+ play these last two games... IF he keeps playing at that rate which about 500 yrds, 3 TD's (should be 4 but that Kerley TD vs NE got called back) to 1 INT (which was a desperation INT at the end of Denver game), we should be in good shape to beat up on Buffalo

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

For no apparent reason as of late we've been romping the Bills at home then getting destroyed in Buffalo. Hopefully that continues... until we play them in Buffalo

16. MaximusD163

As much as I do like the Harvin trade, it really doesn't make a difference to me in terms of my hope for Geno. I thin he may play better over the next few weeks, probably enough to win some games, but don't get your expectations too high. When what we considered promising is the fact that he's not making bad mistakes, you have to realize the guy is probably not going to change anyone's mind about him over the next 9 games. He has time to prove me wrong but I doubt it.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

You give too much credit, Dallas for years needed to run to win but for years kept passing because it was their "strength". They start running and balancing they start winning. NFL teams may be smarter, but they're still human and still stick with what they feel they do best....Marty ball, Schotty ball, Rex ball, etc. Teams that feel their bread and butter is running WILL run even if the other team is poor against the pass...why? Because it's the "safe" call.

18. MaximusD163

That's a gross oversimplification, the Cowboys are playing better football all around plus they have continued to invest into the offensive line. It's not just that they didn't run the ball before and now they do. It far more complicated than you're trying to make it.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i expect the Jets will almost dare the Bills to run. They'd be running with mediocre RB's right into our biggest strength, the front 7..
    We match up very well with them.

my only concern defensively is the coverage. even playing more DB's we still can't cover well, and it prohibits our ability to blitz Orton.
    it's the same problem every game.
    that said, if the coverage is at least average, the Oline gives Geno some protection, and we protect the ball offensively, i don't see how we lose..

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I think it will be a very close affair.