How many of our 12 drafts from this year are on the roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I get that part, but you would think after clearing waivers he would either be signed to the Jets PS or to another teams active roster. This must have meant that the Jets didnt even want him on their PS.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Yes haha was sharing your view on the matter :)

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

We don't have any room on our PS without releasing someone. I guess they like those players better.

Although I don't think we made many great picks, the trade up argument doesn't hold. Who would be willing to trade for one or multiple 5-7 round picks? What could we bundle to make it worth their time? A 4th and 2 sixths, to maybe get a higher 4th? We're better off with the extra bodies unless there was someone great early in the 4th... not likely.

5. NewYorkEveryThing

Good thread but you should also include last season also . Millner's injury's and hart are gonna be à lingering problem and yeah sheldon is a beast but drafting Dee that early and Calvin this year so far looks ok at best ,cud really hurt us in the long term. Was Demario a Idzik pick cuz i cant remember any others from last year that are making any impact.

6. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Also have to consider that it's a choice for the players at that point. We may have tried to resign him but AZ may have been more attractive for whatever reason. Well never know

7. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You're going to miss on a few picks no matter who you are. If you have 12 picks instead of 7 you have a bettet chance of drafting players who can contribute. Simple as that.

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Before the draft I was saying how we would be smart to trade 2 or 3 of those picks for picks in future drafts. i was FLAMED for such a horrible idea and told that we need to use all the picks so we can turn this team around.

we would have had extra pick ammo going forward, indefintly if we used the strategy of always dealing 1 pick for an earlier future pick as serveral teams have done. instead we have several guys who didnt even make the team.... you know, just as i predicted

southparkfanciz likes this.
  9. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

No I believe Davis was a Tanny pick. Because correct me if I'm wrong, he was there when Bart Scott was still on the team and that was 2012.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

No. It isn't as simple as that.

Any player you draft has a chance of being a bust. Those chances, however, are not equal. When you have 3 friggin 4th rounders and a bunch of sixes, if you can turn that into another three, or maybe even a 2, whoever you get there has a better chance of contributing. If he doesn't, or if you have six picks in the first four rounds and four end up getting cut, your problem isn't your philosophy on trading up, it's that you suck at scouting.

And if you are a die hard believer in developing your draft class - your WHOLE draft class - then 12 is still stupid because you don't have the roster space to develop 12 guys for three years, or even two!

Sure, the draft's a crapshoot, and your picks may not work out - EVENTUALLY. But grabbing every warm body you can in May just so you can throw half of them out in September isn't what the draft is for. That's what camp fodder is for.

#30 milo, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  11. JETSMAN7

JETSMAN7 Member

Didn't we get Ivory for a 4th?

12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You should be a GM you're so smart.