2015 - Draft Strategy and Needs, Let the argument begin

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I ultimately think Calvin was a good pick too, it's just this seems that this past draft was horrible beyond words. 3rd round pick Dexter McDougle, drafted way higher than expected, with an injury history, gone for the season. 4th round picks Jalen Saunders (cut) and Shaq Evans (IR). 5th round pick Jeremiah George (cut) now with Jaguars, 6th round picks Brandon Dixon (cut) now with Chiefs, Quincy Enunwa (practice squad) arrested and charged with simple assault. Surprisingly 2 /3 of our 7th rounders made the team minus Tajh Boyd.

This draft was beyond a joke like most of drafts have been lately, and we were lucky that Calvin and Jace seem to be on their way(hopefully). Like I said before I love Rex and I've been somewhat impressed with the team and how most of these games have been close, but there's just something missing with him. And if he is in fact not playing Vick because he simply doesn't have authority to, smh I don't even know what to make of this team anymore

2. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

The JETS have to stop settling for the third and fourth tier WR's and finally get a legit weapon on the side opposite Decker. Depending how the season goes, the JETS need to get Amari Cooper if possible because he is a #1 WR or possibly Kevin White and Tyler Lockett at WR and address the CB and FS position.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

If Oakland and Jacksonville are 1 and 2, both Mariota(Unless McKenzie stays on board) and Gregory will go off the board to those respective teams. Well unless a team wants to pay up picks to Oakland to move up.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I can honestly say some people in this forum are better judging talent than current Jet's management.

What pisses me off, the Jets finally had a boatload of picks, no thanks to Tanny's passed dealings and Idzik did a piss poor job with most of them after rd 2. Only 2 picks I liked after Rd 2 were Shaq Evans & Trevor Reilly.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I would agree - and that's what saddens me too.

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Well it's also about resources spent and where they are spent. And Time is a resource and is not unlimited like woodies pockets and $$

7. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Jace is open, but Geno keeps trying to go for Decker. And when Jace and everyone else is covered, Decker is wide open but Geno doesn't see it.

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

How about ILB is there deep top prospects at the position?

9. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

It's scary when you go back and look at what people were saying on our draft boards about the third and fourth round picks. mangolden took a lot of criticism after he hated on the WR picks.

I really hope Idzik takes a long, hard look at his returns from the last two drafts. We also didn't spend anything on UDFA signings which tells me again how confident we are in our drafting abilities.

Finally, this has implications past our draft. How do we know our front office can evaluate the talent enough to say the bottom end of our roster is better than what's on other teams' practice squads today?

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, busy week.

If Rex stays, huge IF, the Jets will be drafting in the Mid Teens since he should have around 7 to 8 wins. Without knowing what Idzik does in Free Agency, I think we might finally go Offense. Amari Cooper would be gone, but 2PLayers that are playing well could be mid 1st Rd picks...Sammie Coates & Rashad Greene would be nice additions.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Don't Jets need some help up front? Specifically, RT [Giacomini isn't impressive] or RG [Colon?] or LG? [Brian Winters - new way of spelling WFH] Any OL that deserves 1st round grade?

12. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Ogbuehi is going to be a stud and has versatility... Can play rt until brick is gone. In which case we could move giacomini inside to replace colon. Or let one of the young guys assert themselves in camp

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Denzel Perryman, he's probably a first rounder. Very physical, hard hitter doesn't miss tackles.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jets have a lot of needs and issues, not just OL & WR, can't get all done in Rd 1.

I've mentioned before, I'm not too excited with the 1st round O-Line talent available next April.

Matty Jets likes this.
  15. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Funny how we have the same needs as last season. Help at CB, OL, and WR...lol

16. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

probably the wrong place to put this, but.... if this season is screwed and rex gets fired, at least we know harbaugh will be an option. We wouldnt have a crazy good defensive mind behind the helm anymore, but we would have a quarterback whisperer with marcus mariota and company(company being other high pick qbs) inching closer and closer to us as the season is progressing

17. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

At this point it's becoming so painfully obvious that the Jets have weaknesses minus the defensive line that just a BPA might just be the way to go....of course if they did do that, knowing how the Jets draft, they'd probably end up with a defensive tackle.

This team needs some offense in the worst way. I agree that the O-line prospects this year don't seem great, but if they can find a guy who can start at a guard slot and then develop into a long term tackle, I wouldn't be insanely opposed to that. When it all boils down to it though, this team needs better quarterback play.

18. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

You can put mariotta on this team and he would get killed

It's all about the FA they bring in..

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

They need to stop cheating the process and build the foundation in tact before gambling on another QB.

Take Cooper round 1, have him as the no.2 designated WR as Decker eases Cooper into the league by taking on the top cornerback so too much isn't asked of the kid right away from the bat while allowing him to flash his talents.

WR
    ILB(If Harris leaves unless they go 4-3 with the new defense making Davis the 4-3 MLB. Prefer a fast and disciplined LBer.)
    OT

Should be the top 3 picks. I think DBrick and Breno will be around in 2015 but we have to draft the eventual successor to one of these two and have a capable backup OT waiting if someone goes down.

G and CB I want a veteran in both spots that aren't cheap 1 year fixes like Colon and Patterson. Let Dozier, Aboushi and Winters fight for the other guard gig.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, I guess after 8 weeks of football I can see how dead wrong I was in my draft priorities. QB was, is and will continue to be the overriding priority for this team. I don't know if this draft and a potential 5-11 or 6-10 record can provide us with a QB but something absolutely needs to be done in this area. Beyond that we have enough pressing needs that BPA might work for us in areas such as WR, OLB, ILB, CB,OT or even OG. If Idzik is still around he better hit a bulls eye, particularly in the 2-5 rounds, no more long shots/over drafting injury prone athletes, and more aggressive free agency to make us competitive.
    I also wonder how influential is Bradway in some of these decisions...like Geno, getting s a midget WR that went nowhere, passing on some great WRs earlier , over-reaching for a CB injured for the year. Is he influencing these decisions or being ignored?

The big question still remains. Do we have a front office with enough savvy to turn this ship around?

Turbocharged23 likes this.