Week. 3- Bears @ NY Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

I'm not delusional at all. Just compare Geno and Kaepernick right now.

Geno - 65% passing, 2 TD passing, 1 TD Rushing, 2 Interceptions, 1 fumble lost, 81 QB Rating
    Kaepernick - 65% passing, 3 TD passing, 3 Interceptions, 1 fumble lost, 84.5 Rating.

Crabtree = Decker - Both are clear Top 25 receivers at worst.
    Boldin is MUCH greater then Nelson - Boldin is still a Top 40 guy. Nelson on most teams barely see's playing time, if at all.
    Stevie Johnson is better then Kerley - 3 1,000 yards seasons. Kerley has Zero.
    Vernon Davis is light years better then Cummberland - One is a future hall of famer. One is a 350 yard per year below average TE.

Kaepernick and Geno's numbers are nearly identical and Geno doesn't have two top 35 - 40 receivers, one of the best #3's in the game in Stevie, and a Hall of Fame TE. If you give Geno that, he would be a top 10 QB right now. When Geno has an average amount of time in the pocket, he is lethal. He see's the field extremely well for a young QB, identifies the open guy, and get's it to him. If he misses, he always misses long which means an incompletion, and no chance of an interception.

If you need any more proof just look what Decker has done for him already. In 7 quarters of football Decker has 9 catches for 137 yards and a TD. Flex that out over the course of an entire season and if Decker can stay healthy he will have 1100 yards and 8 TD's this year. With Manning last year he had 1288 yards and 11 TD's. Manning is the gold standard in helping a receiver reach his max potential. If Geno can get that same guy 188 yards and 3 TD's less then Manning, that tells me he is already a really good QB. He needs help though.

JDeacon, rohirrim665 and NYJalltheway like this.
  2. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

And yes I know the odds of the Jets getting Dez is about 1 in a million. It never hurts to throw a prayer up to the football gods.

I disagree though with Idzik not spending the money on another receiver eventually though and here's why.

Calvin Johnson is getting 16 million per year. Top guys like Marshall and Vincent Jackson and getting about 10. Dez will most likely be in the 12 - 14 million range. Maclin, Crabtree, Demarius Thomas, Cobb, Torrey Smith, and a handful of other really good mid-range guys will be on the market too, which means receivers will be getting less this year. The market last year was much weaker and we were still able to get a true 1,000 yard receiver in Decker (as we have already seen), for only 7.3 million per year.

Corners like Joeseph, Shields, Webb, Grimes, and McCourtey are getting 7 - 10 million per year. The cornerback market after this season is going to be EXTREMELY thin. It's basically Revis, a ton of average players, and a bunch of guys on the brink of retirement. The market looks so rough next year that Kyle Wilson is most likely going to get a pay raise from 2.3 million to about 4 - 4.5 million.

So here's what your looking at if your Idzik. We need atleast 2 WR's (depends on if he resign Kerley, which I think we will). We need atleast 2 corners (depends on if we resign Kyle Wilson). Now do you go spend 7 - 12 million per year on a guy like Dez, Maclin, or Crabtree, and then draft a corner in the 1st round or do you spend 7 - 12 million on an average corner, and then draft a Wide Receiver in the 1st round.

That answer is easy. Sign a WR. Draft a CB. With the massive improvement Geno has shown, they need to get him help right now. If it means the secondary suffers, so be it. Our defense is still way more stacked then the offense, it's time to put the $$$ in to making sure the team can score points.

NYJetsO12, max, JDeacon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

KW and raise in the same sentence made me cringe

CaneGreen and legler82 like this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The huge problem with your analysis is it assumes Kapernick is a top ten NFL Qb. He isn't.

Next!

Vida likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think its going to come down to signing a FA CB (Maxwell?) and then drafting a WR in one of the first two rounds.

I doubt we're going to invest so much money into the WR position, that would be a bad move. I'm thinking CB in FA, OL and WR addressed in the first two rounds. MLB/OLB/CB addressed after that.

This is under the assumption that Geno is the guy. If not, that changes everything.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Chicago is soft. The Jets need to be their very physical selves in this game and there is a good chance this team crumbles. If they try and get into a finesse track meet kind of like they did in the second half vs. GB they will lose.

Offensively I am not worried. I think the Jets will score enough points to win I just hope they do it efficiently and hopefully physically by running the football.

Defensively though there is a lot to be worried about. They absolutely need to take away the deep pass. They will run a lot of hitches to Jeffrey and Marshall and I am okay with that over getting beat deep. In the GB game Rex continually tried to match his base personnel up with GB's 3 WR sets. It didn't work. I don't know why he is obsessed with doing that but it's not going to work against Chicago either. Cutler is actually traditionally very good on 3rd downs and if you try matching base up on 3rd downs he will feast on monday night.

Also - wasn't it acknowledged that Pryor is not the deep center fielder type safety? Why was he playing that in the GB game? He was bad in that role. Keep him in the box. Let him get physical with the Forte and the big Chicago receivers across the middle. They will shy away from that contact because they are soft.

The key to stopping Cutler is on first down. The majority of his interceptions over his career have been on second and long. This is a good thing because the Jets are good at stopping the run but also this is the best running team they have faced yet. They can't rely on trying to stop Cutler on mid-range 3rd downs (3rd and 4,5,6 ish) because he will pick those up all game. Just like he did in 08 with Denver here and in 10 at soldier against us.

This is a game they have to have. I can live with losing to a good GB team on the road but you need to win home games vs. teams @ the same level as you and I consider Chicago on the same level as the Jets, a borderline playoff team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

There's more games? Thought the season was over after losing at Lambeau.

DownAndOut likes this.
  8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall's ridiculous domestic abuse history is getting put front and center right now down in Atlanta. This is going to be interesting...

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

With the wave of righteousness that is taking over the NFL right now maybe he will be forced to sit and Milliner won't have to be burned by him after all.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He was never our FS.

11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

70% odds the Bears win the upcoming game. Better offense, better secondary. One caveat if the Jets win this game it will be because they rushed for 200+ yards.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bears have a crap offensive line, and have one of the worst defenses in the league. Peanut Tillman is out for the yr.

If we win it's because Geno plays well and we can generate a running game.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Chicago is strong where the Jets are weak, and strong enough in areas where the Jets are strong (here thiking of their running attack against the Jet front seven) to not let the Jets have an overall advantage.

Last week I said I thought GB was a less fearsome opponent than I had thought some months ago. They had injuries on the OL (one of which did cost them a turnover). Lacy had a concussion against Seattle. They didn't seem to have a strong run D.

But their OL played decent enough as the game went on, and Rodgers got more than enough offense going with his short passing attack, and setting up yards after the catch. Meanwhile on D, and imo this is a real concern going forward, Green Bay covered their own weakness up front by putting 8 in the box but not blitzing. I think that is why the Jet running attack fell off from the Oakland game. Smith did not make them pay, and probably can't for the most part. Green Bay's linebackers could hang back just enough to confuse him. Smith did go downfield a couple of times, but let's face it, without Decker there really is no deep threat on the Jets.

I don't see why Chicago can't do the same on D as Green Bay did.

I think Chicago is a bad matchup for the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If Decker plays, will the Bears have Tim Jennings follow him around the field? If not, We should try and get him matched up on Fuller as often as possible.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Tillman's gone but I really like the Fuller kid and dont' think they'll miss a step. and yes the Bears have a crap O-line, but then again so do the Jets.....the Jets don't have the weapons that the Bears have...IF the Jets win it's because they keep the Bears off teh field where Jeffery and Marshall can't expose the Jets secondary, I'll remind you the Jets have NO WHERE NEAR the 49ers defense, especially in the backfield.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fuller is not Tillman. Tillman is a special cornerback. Fuller is still a rookie and rookie CBs still struggle. Bears didn't shutdown the 49ers. Kaepernick threw 4 interceptions most of them were bad throws.

It's gonna be a good game for sure though.

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I don't see us winning unless we keep Cutler bottled uo. Our offense has to score at least 30+, without Decker or an effective Amaro. How is that rookie doing on punts. This team needs to jell NOW.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Jets don't have a crap O-line. Perhaps not among the best in the league, but our only weak point on the line is Winters. The Bears have a much less dominant defensive front, and while Jared Allen is still a good player, he has definitely lost a step. Just look at the ages of all of these starting vets:

Jared Allen, DE: 32
    Jay Ratliff, DT: 33
    DJ Williams, MLB: 32
    Lance Briggs, WLB: 33
    Tim Jennings, CB: 30

All of these players are experienced and crafty vets, but at their ages have an effect on their athleticism. Kyle Fuller is very talented, but he is a rookie in his 3rd week after all, and they didn't plan on him starting. We should try and pick on him early and often.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

A good test coming up will be Geno vs the Bears D and see how Kaep did against them, even with the talent gap.

Brook! likes this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member