Trickery.. Who's fooling whom???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 15, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You didn't even watch the game.

74 likes this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about the option pitch to Kerley. It was on a 3rd and1 and Geno actually had the first down before he even pitched it to Kerley (Which I thought was awesome) and then Kerley cleaned up. Great play. Also, not a TD. Set up a TD, though.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

of course not. he doesn't watch football anymore

the w.c. is a complete waste of time at this point. i was a fan when the qb needs extra in game coaching. pull him for a play and go over a few things. but geno seems to have a decent enough command, let him play and let vick be a back up.
    like every other team

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ok yeah thanks, I just couldnt picture what it was, all I remembered was Kerley running down the field.

5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Schotty never let him throw it though. But it was a positive cause they used it more than once a game..plus the oline was better when he was here. They just need to scrap the WC altogether.

6. abyzmul

It's not even a wildcat. It's either bringing Vick in cold or running a really weak read option direct snap to Powell.

The only team that ran the real WC were the Dolphins.

74 and FJF like this.
  7. It kills momentum every single time. How bout instead of the wild cat we put together a competent passing game that can actually move the ball for 4 quarters.

talisaynon likes this.
  8. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

With green biplanes on the sides of the leather helmets?

Hopefully they can find a way to make it work with Geno in MM's WCO. Rex seems to prefer OCs with extremely complicated schemes and lots of gimmicks; he probably wouldn't hire someone with a spread option offense and no wildcat.

9. abyzmul

I'm not really sure about that, though. He inherited Schotty. I've never been sold that he was on board with the Sparano hire, but either way Sparano was simplistic. Marty has always been considered a wco purist. I'm guessing Rex just said "yeah hire him, my defense will do the rest."

I've always had at least a shred of faith in Rex getting his shit together, but I am fast reaching the point of disbelief.

10. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Trickery or deception is not a bad thing. I think it is best to do it early and out of something you normally do.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I figure the packages with Vick are building up towards something. They keep trotting him out there once or twice a game for what appears to be meaningless drive killing plays when all the while they are collecting data on how defenses are reacting to the formations and personnel. Then at a crucial juncture later in the year they take and land a big shot.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I don't blame MM for the trick plays. I blame Rex. He thinks it will light a fire
    under the defenses butt. But it never does. Stick to defense, Rex.

13. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Well, he chose to keep Schotty when he came, I think.

As for Sparano, the notion of a head coach not being able to choose his coaches is bizarre to me. If woody or Tanny was picking the offensive coaches, that's incredibly dysfunctional sounding to me, and not how most teams operate. I can see telling a HC to fire a lousy OC, but not telling him who to hire.

My guess is that Rex wanted Marty because he felt Sanchez would do better in the WCO.

14. abyzmul

There's no way of knowing if Rex was purposefully bringing back Schotty, but there was a lot of talk about Rex trying to court Hue Jackson from the Raiders and almost-dead Al Davis blocked it publicly. I think it was a year after Rex took the Jets job, though.

The Sparano thing was a Tanny-Parcells concoction. Parcells made it public that he "advised" the Jets to try to get a Sparano-Haley package like he had in Dallas, then Haley went to Pittsburgh and the Jets hired Sparano anyway.

It was a really sad trend where Tanny kept reaching out to.Parcells, who wanted to be in the media but didn't give a flying shit about the Jets. Fat Bill can die soon for my money.

I have no idea about Marty, but he showed up with Idzik. Only time will tell.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Didn't we hire Marty before Idzik was on board? Not that it is really relevant to the discussion, I just remember lots of confusion about why we were hiring a new OC without the GM in place.

16. abyzmul

I'm pretty sure they were both hired on January 18.

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep, put that down to my faulty memory. Must drink less beer, or should that be more...

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

DON'T LET MM SEE THIS!!! (Although Hill may have been perfect for the roll)

Just when you think you've seen it all on a football field, something like this comes along.

On a Saturday full of wild action, the Arkansas State-Miami game slipped off the radar. That's too bad, because the world deserved to watch live as the Red Wolves -- who have already given us plenty of laughs this season with their unintentional tribute to a beloved movie dad -- attempted one of the most hilarious fake punts we've ever seen.

The play went horribly awry (the punter's pass was intercepted), but not without a valiant effort by ASU's Booker Mays, who played dead in an apparent attempt to distract the Hurricanes. Despite his best acting, that didn't work either -- and he paid for it once he rose to his feet. Trust us, you'll want to see this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...s-dead-during-fake-punt?ex_cid=sportscenterFB

Zach and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Absolute Bullshit.

20. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It's not just offense. Ryan's defense is built on tricking the offense which is why there are so many broken coverages. One of the Bills defensive players was on and he said Schwartz just lets you play, but Pettine's scheme was all about trying to trick the offense and was super complicated

People who believe that Ryan does not have a profound influence on the offense are kidding themselves. All the Vick and wildcat plays are all Rex

ajax and abyzmul like this.