"Best" Draft Spot

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by RexontheBeach, Aug 27, 2014.

1. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

So I won my fantasy league last year which means I get to pick where I draft. What do you think is the optimal position? Should I keep #1 and get a top flight RB like McCoy/ AP or pick mid round to grab the best qb or Rb still available in hopes that my second pick will yield a top tier WR or Graham? Love this stuff!

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The drop after Top 6 RB is big.

I say pick first, take LeSean and go from there. If you are lucky, by your second round, you will still pick a decent WR.

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Depends if it's ppr or not

4. RexontheBeach

Not ppr. I'm wondering if I can somehow get brees and graham.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any scenario where you can get Brees and Graham unless it's like an eight-team league and you're drafting towards the back of the first round, maybe.

And I'd probably go top five (maybe 4-5), so you can get a top back then at least a semi-top WR (Jordy, Brown) in round 2.

74 likes this.
  6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not ppr means running backs have more value. For example in standard last year 6 of the top ten players were rb's whereas in ppr only 3 were. So unless your league is on the smaller size, it's more important to jump on a top RB early because a T1 back probably won't last to your second pick. So I would narrow it down to a short list of rb's you wouldn't mind taking with your first pick. Say you decide you are fine with either of Forte, McCoy, or AP then take the 3rd pick because you're guaranteed one of them or you can take the 4th pick and gamble a little that one of your guys will still be there.

Brook! and RexontheBeach like this.
  7. RexontheBeach

Thanks for the ideas guys. It's a 10 man league and everyone knows what they're doing. I had Peyton last year so I'm a little partial towards top tier qb's. On the contrary my backs last year were Doug Martin, geo Bernard, and Leveon bell so I haven't really been spoiled at that position either.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

In non-PPR league, RBs are critical and so you need to be high enough to make sure you get one of the top-tier RBs.

Getting Graham and Brees in 10-ppl league is easy actually. JG is currently getting off the board at around 8 overall while Brees as a QB2 or 3. Set yourself in #7 spot. The first 6 guys will pick 5 RBs + Megatron so you'll get JG at 7.
    Brees will be available in Rd.2 because 8, 9 and 10 spot guys will pick either top WRs or Manning/Rogers or next best RB.

I'd go with a top-tier RB though.

9. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Id pick 3rd, and draft whichever one of the top 3 RBs (AP, McCoy, Charles) falls to u and then put yourself in a better spot for the 2nd round.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Charles, McCoy and Forte were top 3 last year. AP was like 8th or something. Every years different but just an FYI.