For all of you who want Rex Ryan Fired dont forget this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RubenDias, Aug 19, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Woody tried being Jerry Jones - that's when he acquired Tebow. Safe to say that plan did not work and his ass is back in his seat signing checks and staying away from the majority of the football decisions.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

You've really watered down the term "homers." You seem to call anyone who doesnt think the sky is falling a homer.

As for Idzik, maybe not officially calling for him to be fired, but when I read countless posts stating how terrible he is, I equate that to calling for someones head. People called his draft terrible the night the draft finished.

And currently? I wont lie, I'm a bit nervous about CB. Two of the top 3 corners (maybe their top 3, I dont know about Patterson) are currently injured. Any team that lost two of their top three on the depth chart would be a bit nervous. I'm just not sure what else fans wanted. He is not the kind of GM that is going to make giant splashes in Free Agency. He is building the Jets like he helped build up Seattle, by getting younger and building the team on low cost high upside players. Jets have a lot players to re-sign this offseason. Kerley, Wilkerson and Harrison together will command a lot of the cap.

Revis was never happening, you know that. That may not have even been on Idzik, but who knows.
    DRC was paid a lot by the Giants for one solid year. I may be wrong, but he has beeen on like 4 different teams. He seems to only perform great during contract years.

It sucks there wasnt a solid low cost CB in free agency. The depth would have helped at this point. People seem to forget that he invested a 1st rounder into a corner last year, a FS in the 1st round this year, and a CB in the third and 6th (Dont sleep on Dixon). Injuries suck, but they happen, and it bit the Jets secondary pretty hard.

Also, we really cant use the Cincinnati game as any indicator of the secondary. Antonion Allen (who didnt do terrible) probably wont be a CB when the season starts. Kyle Wilson will more than likely not be on the outside, which is where he got burnt from. As hated as he is, he's solid in the slot.

Like I said, I'm a bit nervous, but there isnt a ton Idzik could do about it.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Officially. Heh.

Putting aside your objection to the reference to homers, Idzik could have kept Cromartie. As for Rodgers Cromartie you perhaps have not read the stories about how the Jets did not do much to get him. There were others. San Diego picked up Brandon FLowers, for example. He is not perfect concededly, but imo the Jets cold have used him.

I do not blame Idzik for the non-move on Revis. I put that squarely on Woody.

As for the injuries to McDougle and Milliner, both have a history of injuries, as does Patterson. Of course somenoe who has never been injured before can get injured, too. But history does tell you something.

Idzik didn't have to do a ton. He just needed someone better and less injury prone than Patterson.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I guess free agent homer means that you have patience with the fact that a winning team isn't built in a year?

5. Big Blocker

Front office homer. 1. Someone who thinks the front office is always right even where there is no track record of success or evidence to support that they are. 2. Someone who is offended when the front office's decisions are questioned by others. 3. Someone who is 1. and 2.

JetsNation06, NYJetsO12 and legler82 like this.
  6. skipper

skipper Member

No record of success? I think what Idzik did last year is a fair record of success. That's all we have to go by now. It is way too soon to judge this year.

7. Big Blocker

How was last year a success? The Jets were 8-8 and did not get in the playoffs. WHile that was an improvement over 6-10, I attribute most of that to a combination of hiring Marty, which I think was Rex's doing, and ending the Tebow fiasco.

legler82 and Jets69 like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

So posters should stop criticizing Idzik because you come to illogical conclusions. I for one have a lot of concerns about some of Idzik's decisions but I am not advocating he be fired. I think posters are smart enough to know that some of the decisions that they disagree with may end up being right.

Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. jcass10

I'm not talking about concerned over some decisions. I'm talking about hearing "Idzik is just a numbers guy, he doesnt know anything about the draft," an hour after the draft. I'm talking "Idzik is saving all this cap room, he's a garbage GM."

I'm not saying there cant be concerns. CB is a big concern right now (mostly because of injuries, but it still is). But if you dont think there are people who irrationally criticizing Idzik over every little thing, than that is your perogitive.

Perhaps I shouldnt have said that people want him fired (although there are definitely some out there). My point is that people irrationally criticize Idzik for the CB situation. Like I said, if you dont believe that to be the case, than its no big deal.

10. Big Blocker

I certainly don't think criticism of Idzik for the cb situation must be irrational by definition. My criticism is I think completely rational.

11. Big Blocker

One thing I am certainly open on is this cap space carryover business. Try as I might I have listened to the FO advocates' attempts at explanation of this, and how supposedly the Jets will be in a better position next year to make use of space carried over from this year's cap, and tried to make sense of them. Those explanations do not sound persuasive to me, but perhaps there is something else that will make better sense of the approach as time moves forward. I intend to be open to that possibility, even if I have found explanations to date to be wanting. So yes, Idzik may end up being right on something like that, where right now I think he is not right.

12. jcass10

Absolutely rational, to an extent. And I'm not calling out you or anyone specifically, just saying that I've seen it here and there. There are a lot of Jet fans, beyond this forum.

And on the cap space post, I have no clue lol. I know the cap space can carry over to next year so we'll have 4o or 50 million. I imagine it will be used to lock up current Jets. With extra space, perhaps he goes after one of the big names next year? I really dont know.

He obviously had a plan rolling all the cap space over, hopefully it was a damn good plan.

13. Big Blocker

Fair enough. With that, let the weekend begin.

14. jcass10

Couldnt agree more.

15. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I got a bit aroused watching that video

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

As much as I liked the guy I had to admit that he should of been fired the moment Sanchez got KO'd last preseason.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

for once I agree with you. I am totally against drafting players with injury histories, it's too big a gamble. I'm not gonna bash him for Milliner that's uncalled for so far but using a 3rd for McDougle - a dude who missed an entire year because of injury - was fucking bullshit. And as a hokie fan of course I am a Flowers fan so very disappointed we didn't make that move.