Revis, the Mercenary

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sean_in_titletown, Jun 6, 2014.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

you win (Jets were actually 2-0 with revis. He didn't play in the Steeler game week 2). I was at the buffalo game. He was the last man called for the starting defense, it was awesome and exciting. He had a pick and than Bart ran over his head. I went to Italy for a friends wedding. I heard Holmes had a good game and the Jets pulled out a nail biter in Miami. Than, I hear #24 was out for the rest of the season.

Never, in my wildest imagination could I have pictured Revis in New England gear. Fuck, what an awful image. Needless to say, I am not a fan of his anymore. I hope his season is a disaster and he gets burned by Decker and Geno all day long. I also hope that he demands $12-$16mil after the season and pouts and holds out until his demands are met.

I don't support his brand. And I also don't think he was the best last season or even one of the best. I think Sherman was the best. I think there was a long line of defensive backs that played better, but more importantly were part of better teams/defenses.

totally unbiased ;)

good fight, goodnight

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Eric Smith was abysmal and the OLBs were too old. The Dline was in a transitional period. Many games were essentially decided by one big play made by the opposing teams. Raiders, Giants, Broncos, etc. The CBs were good, but we got exploited on the ground and in the deep secondary. The oline stunk as well. It's never just one unit or one person.

No, I'm assuming an extra free player is a positive thing. It doesn't have to be a blitzing DB, it could be numerous other things. Revis helped make RR's D viscous in that you never knew where the blitz was coming from. Revis is what made that effective.

I'm looking at 2009 and 2010 as the model Revis team, I'm not even referring to Rex Ryan. Revis is the one who made all of those exotic blitzes possible. It didn't become less effective because of teams adjusting. It became less effective when the Dline began getting old along with the linebackers. The safety unit became very weak with Eric Smith starting that year and also the oline stunk. They were all factors. Revis and Cromartie played great that year, but a shutdown corner is way more effective overall than an average one and I have given you direct evidence of this. Without Revis, the Jets probably don't make the playoffs at all under Rex only sniff .500 once. Rex would have already been fired and fans on this site would be even more angry than they already are.

How about that Tim Tebow scoring play in 2011 that essentially killed the season?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8243b64f/Tebow-s-game-winning-drive

The team declined because of all the reasons I stated above and this Tebow drive proved every one of them. Eric Smith and the slow linebackers lost that game for us. And seriously, with Wayne Hunter that year, we could have had Tom Brady at QB and struggled. Revis shouldn't have to make up of the rest of the team's poor performance. Despite all that, the Jets were in the playoff picture for the entire season. Without Revis, we aren't even in the discussion. Heck even average safety play from Eric Smith could have made a world of difference. If Jim Leonard (who called signals for secondary) didn't get injured down the stretch of that season when we were 8-5, it could have been much different as well. It's never just one player, it's a collective bunch of bad circumstances that would hurt any team. Shutdown corners make teams better, but obviously if the team isn't very good to begin with they have much less of an effect on the outcome. On a team like the Patriots, he will indeed have a big effect on the outcome, since they have a stable offense and defense that will be much improved.

#142 Barcs, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Big Blocker likes this.
  3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This is such a terrible argument. Revis wasn't used in man coverage for most of the snaps and was also coming back from a torn ACL. TB ran zone most of the time. If they ran man coverage it would have been a lot different as far as Revis stats go.

4. JetsVilma28

Cool story bro

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The truth is interesting, no?

6. JetsVilma28

You should know, that I know, that Revis is great. My argument was merely that he has not been great since 2011 (and it's a slow offseason, per usual and I'm fucking bored). You can argue that he was great last seasons. You can also argue that he wasn't great last season for a multitutde of reasons including injury recovery, poorly used; (your argument) zone coverage instead of man, but any critic (me) can still evaluate his '13 performance is fair to mediocre at best. He did a hell of a job earning his team 4 wins.

New England offers probably one of the best defenses and divisions for Revis to excel, once again, in. I'll have my popcorn ready. I will be rooting for the Jets to torch him severely and for the pats to fail, as a whole, miserably :)

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I didn't watch every Tampa Bay game, but I saw a good amount, and Revis looked just like Revis. Good corners get burned in zone sometimes. That's just how it works. It relies more on the unit working together to cover sections of the field rather than just shutting down their man. So in zone Revis has to rely on other people. 4 wins was the problem of the offense, not defense. The offense was ranked dead last in the league. It's downright silly to put that on Revis or even insinuate that, when the passing D went from dead last in 2012 to middle of the league in 2013 with the addition of Revis.

I stick with my prediction. The Patriots will dominate this year with Revis. Their margin of victory will be higher than it's ever been.

8. JetsVilma28

Well, as a Jets fan, you must really be looking forward to and feeling optimistic about this upcoming season haha

I'm taking the under and betting Revis is not the same player he was in '11. I'm betting he gets torched, the Pats falter, GPC tears at the seams, and at the end of their 6-10 regular season Revis demands more money or refuses to play. Perfect Jets world, Revis "Christ" saves the Jets again :)

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Admitting that Revis is still great is the honest method. Playing the under so it makes you feel good about the Jets isn't.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I am generally optimistic about most things in life, I'm excited for the Jets this year, but at the same time know that the Patriots are going to be substantially better on D. If everything you say happens without a Tom Brady injury, I will be jizzing in my pants and saying how awesome the Revis trade was. I just don't see it, though. Hopefully you're right and they collapse miserably, and Revis proves to be a shell of his former self. If Revis can make a bottom of the league D into average, he can probably turn an average D into a very good one, like what happened in 2009 when he first played at an elite level. Yeah, part of it could be Rex, but Rex isn't the one shutting down receivers to increase his blitz production.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

So Revis reached out to the JETS and the JETS weren't interested...
    I think I called that one..

12. abyzmul

It definitely hurts. Right now. He'd have put the defense over the top.

Now I'm interested in seeing what happens without him.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no "I" in team. What were they supposed to do?

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Lets see.. we have Millions under the cap.. Have a CB Problem...
    Gee, idk.. maybe at least take a listen ?

15. abyzmul

There's no I in TEAM, but there's a U in CUNT.

- Kenny Powers

Sundayjack, GoPats and JetsVilma28 like this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Look at what is coming out of New England now. Revis is on a team that has a realistic shot at a Super Bowl and yet somehow the conversations are skewing towards how he was wronged by the Jets. Why would any player let that happen right after he has joined another team with a good shot at winning? Why would they let the conversations skew towards themselves instead of their new surroundings and how excited they are about the opportunities the season represents, etc?

There's no "I" in team. Once a player begins to make himself the conversation the team suffers. That happened to the Jets multiple times during Revis tenure here. I'm glad it's not happening again.

17. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

People forget how good Revis was against the run. He'd make an elite strong safety if he was put there, and he repeatedly blew up outside runs/screen passes. In the Miami game where he tore his ACL, Miami was running all over us and we practically had to use him as a box safety, and seemed to be the only thing that prevented the game from becoming a rout.

But anyway it's besides the point. Idzik has a vision for this team, and it doesn't involve giving Revis a 12+ million/year contract. We have a lot of bodies at CB, and we need to find out which belong on our team. As was posed on another thread, young, talented, and cheap seems to be the guiding principle of this team, and is really the only recipe for long term success in a cap constrained league.

Royal Tee likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There is plenty of evidence that the Jets took the position they did with Revis out of personal animosity toward him and his agents. Why should it be surprising if he harbors animosity right back?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was in the keep Revis camp at the time, but it's over now. He's a patriot, fuck him.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'm not a CURRENT fan of his to be sure! It's more about an ongoing analysis of how the Jets' decision to not even try to keep him last year works out in the long run.