Never done FF before WTF?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by JStokes, Jul 23, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Have been inflicted by an idiot friend into a total ball busting league and I've never even looked at the phenomena before.

What do I do?

2 punters in round 1.

Sanchez as my first pick?

The Vikings defense?

Seriously, any advice would be totally appreciated.

Not sure what type of league it is. What kind are there?

_

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

need to know more details about the scoring system and roster requirements.
    historically rb's have been the bell cows of f.f. but i think it has shifted a bit in the new nfl.
    biggest peice of advice i would give is to pay attention to bye weeks while drafting. you don't want to get caught with half your squad on a bye the same week.
    defenses if you miss on the top few. sometimes its better to play matchups week to week rather than stick with 1 d all year.
    i am sure many others will weigh in on this.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Got too much too worry about as it is with the Jets to have something additional on my plate on Sundays in the Fall.

4. JStokes

Yeah I'll find out this week. It's a celebrity thing so I can't look like a total fool, just a marginal fool like I am here. :oops:

_

5. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Only QB's not to pass on are consistent regular season performers(Brady, Manning, Rodgers<--was injured though last year) if those QB's are gone I stack on WR's RB's early and often and in that order of importance. 16 player league? your 2nd or 3rd round pick can be used for QB and a pretty decent one @ that Even in a 16 Team League. Reason for this thinking is just the sheer volume of skill players you need vs a QB ( 2RB 2WR & 1 TE vs 1 QB )

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  6. JStokes

Thanks, this was helpful. Appreciate you taking the time.

Am finding out in the next few days what type of league it is/what rules in place, etc.

_

7. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Stokes that was funny! haha :D

8. JStokes

I'm in a good mood, trainng camp started :D

_

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Depends what type of league you're in and what the scoring system looks like.

For instance, in one of my leagues, running backs go in the first couple rounds like wildfire. In my other league that tracks receptions, receivers go fairly fast. In one league you can get by with an average QB, and in another league a solid QB does wonders. It depends on the type of league you're in.

Another thing to consider is the type of offense being run in the NFL. Football has moved to a pass happy league, so running backs aren't getting as many points as before.

10. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Also RB's get hurt so much so often having high stock in them can hurt you but having plenty of back ups will be needed.

Waiver Wire can be your friend you can find a Mid season Diamond or you can drop a player that eventually lite's it up the rest of the year

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I claimed Gordon off waivers last year. What a pick up that was!

Although, now I'm fucked because he's never gonna see an NFL field again.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I disagree with what someone said above, don't worry about bye weeks or having multiple players from same team, just draft the best team that you can

Unless it's AP I'm probably not looking RB round one. I'm taking a top QB or WR.

Keep in mind starting running backs will emerge from the waiver wire during the season. This much less likely to happen for other positions.

If Jimmy Graham is available when you pick round one, take him. His value is equivalent to elite WR but he's so much higher than any other TE.

Pick your defense second to last and your punter last.

13. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Yup patience wins FF Leagues and a bit of luck considering the wavier proces and where u stand

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Once you get the rules, you can kind of get a feel for what type of players you want to go after. I agree with the others, running back seems to be the position you don't have to worry about because you can always find a bunch doing well nobody drafted. Points Per Receptions (PPR) is a popular add on in many leagues. Basically a standard league, you get 0 points for a reception. In a PPR league you get one point for a reception, no matter the yardage. So a RB who who plays with a QB who dumps it off a ton just became more valuable and so on.

The hardest part of fantasy football is keeping up with it. Remember if you have players playing Thursday night, to sit/bench them before the TNF game. Keep an eye out on bye weeks and don't be a player or two short because you had 3 players going on bye without backups. The waiver wire is your friend. Last year I was able to grab Nick Foles because I did a horrid job and drafted Eli Manning to start the year.

Depending on who you play with, remember to check trades to make sure nobody is trying to trade you someone who just got reported as injured or suspended or something. If you are with friends, usually you can just assume everyone is playing in good faith because it's all good fun.

Everyone in the league will think they are the unluckiest player in the league. Everyone has a story where some random player on the opposing team went off to destroy them while their star QB had the worst game of the season.

Defense and kickers, feel free to drop and add them based on matchups.

Final rule, real football comes first. Don't let it stop you from drafting people, but when there are conflicting interests, you root for the Jets to win first.

Oh PS the real final rule, beating someone in fantasy football that week gives you bragging rights over them for the whole week. Have fun with that advantage!

15. JStokes

Yeah that's why I've never done FF before and why I don't bet on football. The game and the Jets are too important, too entertaining for me.

The only reason why I'm doing this is because it's a quasi-celebrity thing otherwise I'd have zero interest.

But thanks for the advice, waiting for the rules now.

_

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Fantasy Footballs crazy, I remember one time I was down a point and it was a MNF game and my QB was Drew Brees and on the last play as time expired in garbage time he hit like a 40 yard pass which gave me 2 pts to win my FF game.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What celebrity are you? Al Roker? Sylvester Stallone?

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I guess I'll add a question here. Anyone do an auction draft before?

Seems a lot more needs to go into pre draft than the typical snake style where the draft usually follows a general order of players the first couple rounds

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I have done auction for baseball, but not football. It is a more fair way of picking players.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  20. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Just to add to that, it seems like the bye week problem is a bigger issue than most years this year.

Week 9Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Tennessee
    Week 10Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New England, San Diego, Washington
    Week 11Baltimore, Dallas, Jacksonville, New York Jets

So pretty much 75% of your studs are going to have the same range of bye weeks. I just did a draft last night where all my top receivers are bye week 9 and all my top RB's are bye week 10. So don't worry about it, because it's everyone's problem, not just yours.