What did Jaws really say about Geno?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Jul 22, 2014.

1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I like Jaws but his opinion is worthless.

You just have to laugh at have the sh!t he says.

2. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Gotta love Joe,

But you always have to take what he says about our QB with a grain of salt. Every QB will be a massive step down from himself in his option.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, Namath was one of the reasons I became a Jets fan, but I don't really get why people think his word is gold when it comes to QB play. Just having played the position 40 years ago doesn't make him an expert on the position today.

Did anybody watch the Hard Knocks episode where Joe visited camp? He likes to hear himself speak and he's used to people letting him blab. He sat in that conference room telling Sanchez how he should be holding the ball post snap even though the regulation NFL football has changed a dozen times since the last time he took a snap. He got a radio show so he could blab.

Has he ever actually broken down a single play since his regrettable broadcasting experience? Does he even watch a game more than once? Does he watch film at all?

Joe Namath had a great run in the sun, and it led to the only ring this team has won. He deserves a ton of respect for that. That doesn't mean that he is an expert in the modern era of football.

I get a kick out of hearing him talk, but I don't really lend too much confidence to his opinion.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

But it is Broadway Joe so it counts... Right? I mean... RIGHT???

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up how I feel about him these days.

He'll always be Broadway Joe...but the lights have dimmed.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

C'mon Byz, gimme a kiss

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jaws said Kaepernick might go down as the greatest QB ever so take that as you will.

BeastBeach likes this.
  8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

What games were gifts that we should've won but didn't because we screwed up and the other team took advantage?

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Ha'penny" for your thoughts Geno0007….

What me worry Alfred E.?

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Say what?

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is the kind of information that scares me, how do you not know this by know?

Your playing college football for 4 years and you can't fake hand off and your still counting steps, that means that his learning curve is still way off, at this rate he will not proficiently learn how to read NFL defensive schemes until 2 seasons from now.

Guys I'm telling you, the jets better start looking at drafting a QB because I think Geno has the same ceiling Sanchez did and Geno has more games under his belt in college.

Which is actually pretty sad.

ozzieny likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Geno Smith turns out to be a good QB it isn't going to be because he figured out how to do what some other QB is doing well. It's going to be because he figured out how to accentuate his strengths and minimize his weaknesses and made the whole better than the sum of the parts.

This is how all good QB's get ahead. They don't try to fit a norm and emulate it. They try to become very good at what they have competency in and to cover up the errors they will make in the process well enough to win through them.

Case in point: Tom Brady is like no other QB in NFL history. He has severe limitations that most QB's don't have to deal with, like the mobility of a three-toed sloth that has lost a toe in an accident. His arm is good but nothing special and he doesn't throw anything like a whistling spiral up the seams or to the sidelines. He rattles easily with pressure in his face, a fact that Rex Ryan knows and has exploited in the past.

However, he has a very quick release. He is decisive when making his throws. He is extremely accurate on short and medium range throws and when he is off it is high or low not left or right, which minimizes interception opportunities for the opponents. He takes one step as well as anybody in the game and often makes that one step to avoid rushers that would put pressure in his face and otherwise mess him up. He is very quick to get to the ground on a busted play or blocking assignment as long as he can see the guy coming.

Coming out of Michigan he had no realistic chance of being the Tom Brady who is going to waltz into the hall of fame on the first ballot. The issues listed above were the reason why. Then he minimized the faults as best he could and the Patriots created a great offensive scheme for his strengths and he became a superstar.

With Geno there are real faults but there are also major assets, like good mobility, a strong arm and the ability to shake off the mistakes he makes and keep playing. If he figures out how to minimize the weaknesses and maximize the strengths he could be a very good QB. He just isn't going to look like any good QB you've seen before. He's going to be his own brand if he does that, just like Brady.

HardHitta, Jake and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. ozzieny

ozzieny Member

Whatever it is you're smoking you should sell it on the streets - you would be rich.

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Do you have a link for this?

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I tried to buy some too but Rex hit all 3 street corners in Cortland and bough every last baggie. Greedy!

16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Geno played 1 season, which he wasn't originally supposed to be the starter, and you're already comparing him to Sanchez? Not to mention this system is one completely different than the one he ran in college. He probably should have been holding a clipboard last year. I am not bashing you, but you gotta give him more time. Vick is here and he can probably teach Geno a thing or two about Marty's offense. I mean if the next Andrew Luck falls at our draft spot then fine, but drafting a QB in the draft takes away from other positions. I think our O-line seriously needs to be upgraded next offseason and I think it makes more sense to improve there.

18. abyzmul

I wouldn't compare him to Sanchez. Sanchez actually knew how to take snaps from under center. He was just a fragile ego and collapsed when the odds were against him.

Geno is a pressure player, it remains to be seen if he can be as clutch as Sanchez in big moments (playoffs) but the real issue is how quickly he can learn to drop back and go through progressions without worrying about his mechanics.

The real comparison of Geno and Sanchez is decision making.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In an offense that wanted to run the ball, it was quite significant that Smith last year handled the snap on passing downs from the shotgun or pistol so often. Imo one key metric for him this year will be whether he can be more effective dropping back. Even for those plays last year many were designed roll outs. Here's PFF's link on that:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/23/qbs-in-focus-geno-smith/

So to be specific, drop back and stay in the pocket, and get it done. If he can't be effective doing that, he will hinder Marty's O.

20. abyzmul

I'm proud of Big Blocker for actually making a football post. Our little boy is growing up.