#2 Wide Receiver position battle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i don't recall the details, but I do recall the fish have a WR tandem aptly named 'the smurfs' a few years back. i think they were like 4'-8" tall and they beat the jets a lot of times. what were their names? i'm drawing a blank

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Smurfs were the Redskins receivers from the early 80's

3. Footballgod214

CJ-WR? Jets experiment with Chris Johnson at wideout
    By Brian Costello

July 24, 2014 | 8:26pm

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    Chris Johnson Photo: AP
    MORE ON:
    New York Jets
    Two potential studs vie with vet in Jets' best position battle
    Rex and the Jets already eyeing up rival Patriots
    Five questions with... Charley Casserly
    Vick's talent shines through with new Jets teammates

CORTLAND — The Jets offense looked a whole lot faster Thursday as speedy running back Chris Johnson practiced fully with the team for the first time.

Johnson had been sidelined this spring after undergoing surgery on his right knee following last season. The Jets signed Johnson in April to a two-year, $8 million contract, hoping he could give their offense a new dimension.

The 28-year-old looked to be at full strength Thursday and he practiced without any restrictions.

“I felt good,” Johnson said. “I felt no pain or anything like that.”

Johnson played most of last season for Tennessee with a torn meniscus. He still managed to rush for 1,077 yards and six touchdowns. The Jets don’t expect Johnson to recapture his 2009 form, when he rushed for more than 2,000 yards, but they would be thrilled to get 1,000 yards out of him after not having a 1,000-yard rusher last season.

The most interesting part of Johnson’s day was how the Jets utilized him. They put him in motion and flexed him out as a wide receiver quite a few times, perhaps showing one of their plans for him.

“Having that kind of game-breaker out of the backfield certainly will get your attention,” coach Rex Ryan said. “The kid at Buffalo, [C.J.] Spiller, is one of those guys that has that kind of speed. Chris, obviously, your antenna is up every time he comes out of that backfield. If he motions out, the DBs know, like wait a second, here’s a 4.2. You’ll approach him differently than you would most halfbacks.”

Johnson has 272 catches over his six seasons. He said he has been used as a receiver by the Titans and even in college.

“I’m ready to go do whatever they ask me to do,” he said.

Wide receiver David Nelson said having Johnson running pass patterns will open things up for other receivers. With Johnson’s speed, defenses have to pay attention to him.

“When you see Chris Johnson in the flat, they’re going to have to be mindful of that,” Nelson said. “They’re going to have to jump to that. When they do that, it opens up a lot of spaces and a lot of spots in the middle of the field. If they don’t, he’s going to take it to the house. It opens up a whole different dimension for us, especially in the passing game.”

4. Footballgod214

You're right....smurfs....but I thought the fish had a pair of height challenged WRs too who were pretty good.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're thinking of the Marks Brothers. Duper and Clayton.

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

More than the question of who is going to be our #2 receiver, I'm even more concerned that we don't as yet have a true #1. I had high hopes for Hill but my optimism is waning based on reports that other than being raw and unschooled at the position, the principal reason for his struggles to develop has centered around his chronic knee pain and injuries. I certainly don't want to accuse him of being mentally weak or having a low threshold of pain but I am very concerned that after two years of limited playing time, his chronic knee issues will just magically resolve themselves and go away. From what I understand, his pain almost constantly interfered with his concentration and ability to focus on all aspects of his route running and catching responsibilities. I really hope to hell I'm wrong.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know it is not wideout info, but hearing that Johnson is playing fast and without pain is great news. Best info so far, conceding camp just started, but it is imo a key piece of info.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yes - it would be really nice to finally have a guy opposing defenses lose sleep at night worrying about. He can really open things up and take some pressure off the rest of the offense.

When was the last time we had that? Maybe Leon - maybe.

9. abyzmul

The CJ signing was exciting, but the reality of it is sinking in. We have a 3-down home run threat that will open up the pass. Leon wasn't that, neither was LdT or TJ.

Add Ivory and Powell into that mix, this is going to be a fun season if injuries don't ruin it.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Looking forward to having CJ2K and Saunders on the field at the same time... Talk about mis-matches... Saunders is gonna surprise a lot of people.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Eric Decker. You may have heard of him, big off season signing. Strong, physical receiver with good hands and a great route runner.

Cue the responses that he was only good because of Peyton.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The only substantive complaint I hear about Decker is that Seattle contained him in the Super Bowl.

13. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

This. And despite all the fretting about a "true #1", you could argue that we haven't had one in the Rex Ryan era. Neither Braylon nor Holmes ever fit the description.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

getting more excited about CJ indeed - the screen game is going to be money this season.

Hopefully CJ gets 50+ catches this season.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Why would you assume that he might not evolve again? MM is a well proven above average veteran OC. He may not be the best in the league but he knows how to develop an effective strategy in this league and tweak it to the talent at his disposal. He obviously was able to turn a bunch of shit into soup last year, so of course his creativity and options will increase this year with the extra weapons.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I just don't see Nelson as all that good of a player. Played well last year, and definitely deserves a good hard look this summer, but I see him as a number 4 receiver at best on a good team. If he's starting I think it's simply because Hill and none of the other rookies stepped up and took the job.

freemantoon likes this.
  17. abyzmul

Did I say that he couldn't? I know it's your first priority when you return from rehab to find all of my posts and disagree with them, but you're reaching here.

Marty has been a proven purist when it comes to the WCO, but if you read carefully, I gave him credit for being flexible with the run game last season.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

One more time for the cheap seats:

Asking the question implies there is some level of doubt. That's a disagreement.

My first priority when I return from having a life during the offseason is make posts that seem interesting to me or respond to posts that strike me as interesting. Even though you're kind of a nutty turd as a person, you tend to qualify for the latter clause so you at best tend to get a proportionately higher # of replies from me than other posters receive, check my post history nothing I just said is false. Not some big Illuminati conspiracy, or maybe it is who knows.

Also I quit smoking weed like 2 years ago, no rehab necessary shockingly enough.

#58 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  19. abyzmul

I'm trying to figure out your scary run-on sentence, and if I'm not reading it properly, please correct me, but I think you just stated that I get a high number of replies from you.

I don't need to check your post history, I already know that is the truth.

As far as the Marty thing... I'm pretty sure it was an open question, and not a seed of doubt.

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Stick a period after receive if it's too complex a thought. And yes.

Refer to my note about questions bearing implications and maybe keep it in mind in the future, or just pretend that you're allowed to ask questions that you know the answer to without opening yourself to minor criticism. Doesn't bother me much either way.