Maximus Mocksimus 3.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Apr 18, 2014.

1. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

You of all people shitting on height is extremely hypocritical considering you'd be ok with a 5'10 receiver at #18. Dennard can't even sniff Verretts coverage skills in zone or man you name the coverage, trap zone man under man outside man off name it. He's a willing tackler and has the quickest feet I've seen in a while at corner. He does have weaknesses, he has terrible hands and can get boxed out some times but he has a 40'' vert and long ass arms. You seriously can't tell me Dennard is a better cover corner that is rediculous.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm not shitting on height, and what WR did I say I'm ok with that's 5'10"? And yes, I can seriously tell you Dennard is a better cover corner.

3. OverloadBlitz

He's really not though.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Agreed!!

Verrett is technically a very sound CB, his value isn't high due to his height. Can play press and off and an excellent tackler. Dennard is too physical and is a walking red flag, he needs really good NFL coaching. I stated this in another thread, Verrett's game is similar to a young Aaron Glenn.

Unfortunately, the NFL wants big corners, it's a different game from a few years ago.

5. MaximusD163

Darqueze Dennard Scouting Reports:
    -Solidly built, athletic, instinctive, press-man cover man who took his game to another level as a senior. Brings intensity, confidence and competitiveness to the corner. Offers size to lock horns with bigger receivers, and has a ceiling as a No. 2 cover man.

-He plays very tight man coverage and does a fantastic job with press coverage. Receivers are mirrored step for step. He plays physical, disrupting their routes and making plays on the ball. When thrown his way, he uses his skills as a receiver to go after the ball and make the interception. Dennard is a hard hitting corner that can support in the run or come off the edge on the corner blitz. When receivers make the catch he has great closing speed and attacks low to bring them down instantly. Will make an impact in the NFL early.

-At the Combine, Dennard had a mixed outing. He addressed speed concerns with a quality 4.51 time in the 40-yard dash. On the flip side, Dennard exposed his stiff hips and vulnerability to off-man coverage. He also checked in with shorter arms than the other top cornerbacks: Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller and Bradley Roby.

Dennard is a press-man corner who could play quickly in the NFL. He is very good at jamming receivers and maintaining coverage as they run downfield. Dennard is physical with receivers and is a gritty defender who has a real presence. Dennard does a nice job of playing the ball to slap away incompletions or snatch the pass away for an interception. He also does well in zone coverage.

However, Dennard may be a nickel early on until he can learn to play off-man coverage. Offenses will use bunch formations to get Dennard off the line of scrimmage and force him to play off-man. Until he gets off-man coverage down, Dennard could have some growing pains. Still, man-cover corners like Dennard are tough to find and his issues should be rectifiable in the NFL.

Dennard should go in the top-25 picks of the 2014 NFL Draft. In the long run, he should become a quality starting cornerback in the NFL.

Jason Verrett Scouting Reports:
    -A tough, scrappy, undersized nickel back with potential to ascend to a No. 2 CB if he can stay in one piece. Is not the physical prototype for the position, but compensates with outstanding athleticism, blazing speed and a tenacious temperament. Is a terrific football player who boasts toughness and competitiveness reminiscent of Cortland Finnegan's.

Verrett would fit well as a nickel corner. He has great speed and agility to run with receivers in and out of their breaks. Verrett blankets wideouts on routes downfield and is good to match up against speed receivers. He is gritty to out-fight receivers on contested passes. Verrett has good ball skills to slap balls away or pick them off. He is a technically sound corner who enters the NFL ready to compete.

Verrett could play some on the outside, but big receivers will give him problems so he'll have to be protected. Even though he could run with them, they would be able to use their size to gain position and make catches over him.

Some teams won't draft Verrett because of his size. One playoff team that could use cornerback help told WalterFootball.com that Verrett's a good player, but they couldn't take him because he's too short. Some teams only want tall, long cornerbacks, and Verrett won't be a fit for them.

6. OverloadBlitz

Why would you quote me a scouting report I know everything that's been said about both, Verrett is still better.

7. OverloadBlitz

If he was 5'11 this debate wouldn't exist, Verrett's tape is amazing.

8. MaximusD163

No one disputes that, but in a league where exploiting match ups is key, a smaller CB's can be easily exploited. If you want to ignore all conventional wisdom/logic about the game, go right ahead. Verrett's main comparisons are Brandon Flowers and Cortland Finnegan. Finnegan has never played outside of a zone scheme in the pros, and Flowers was drafted into a zone scheme. If you chose to ignore all of this information, so be it.

9. OverloadBlitz

Flowers system was a mix of zone and man, granted it was a lot of zone his first few years but that was the system he was in and not because of some limitation. I'm not talking about height though I'm speaking on coverage ability, it doesn't compare, Dennard can not cover as well as Verrett I don't care who's scouting report you quote.

10. MaximusD163

I disagree based on watching the film but if that's what you take away from it that's fine. I also wouldn't say things like either one is obviously so much better considering there is valid debate either way, but I try to stay away from exaggerations.

11. OverloadBlitz

There is a debate, but from the games I saw from both one guy just stood far and above to me, funny thing is if you just watch the tape without knowing the height you wouldn't guess that Verrett was 5'9.

12. MaximusD163

If he played in a conference like the SEC I think it would probably become more apparent.

EDIT: I know he played against some SEC opponents but not that much.

13. MaximusD163

Thanks, I live in South Florida though, a little to far for the Jets I think. Maybe I'll give the Dolphins a call.... lol

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

noooooooo lol

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Snowbird or retired? Because if you don't mind my saying you post lot you have time to spare. Lol

16. MaximusD163

Neither, I'm 23 lol.

17. MaximusD163

The funny thing is I couldn't even have listed 6 teams in the league or told you the difference between a tight end and a and a defensive end in 2009. Once I discovered football and the Jets my interest really took off. I work for myself so I have the flexibility to spend some time on football. Also just went through a bad breakup so I've been a bit of a shut in the past couple weeks, hence the posting overload.