Alex Smith/ Julian Edelman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IrelandJet, Apr 18, 2014.

1. IrelandJet

IrelandJet New Member

Hey,

I'm new to the forum but not that new to the Jets- been following since Sanchez' rookie season.

There are a couple of questions that I haven't been able to answer so thought here might be the place.

The first is when Revis was traded to the Bucs, why was a Revis/Alex Smith trade apparently not pursued or talked about much?

The second is why didn't we go after Edelman at all in free agency this year? Give Geno (or Vick) the option to make a few short passes to a good guy you know is going to catch them?

Cheers guys, and sorry if there are answers to any of these qs that I haven't found.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

1) Maybe it was because the 49ers knew Revis wanted to be paid like a QB and wanted nothing to do with that kind of money, maybe Idzik wanted to start him tenure with young quarterbacks that could be developed instead of a QB that had already peaked.

2) The Jets already have a very capable slot receiver and they run a WCO and not a spread, so the snaps between Edelman and Kerley would be an issue. I can't speak for the Jets, but I really don't want anyone from the Pats beat this team, that has been an unsurprising recipe for failure.

Pats fans always like to pretend that Goodell is a Jets fan and protects them, yet their team sends coaches around the AFC to sow failure around their conference. What may be the lone exception is Welker.

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I can't really say about a Revis/A. Smith trade...all I can tell you is I got laughed off the board for even mentioning A. Smith to come to the Jets in a trade. As far as Edelman goes I am pretty much in the camp that it's all about Brady. I doubt Edelman puts up the kind of numbers with someone else behind center. But that's just me.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

honestly last year the jets were so bad with the cap i don't think alex smith would have fit under it

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

A few reasons:

1: The Jets would have had to give Smith a new contract, as the Chiefs did upon the trade. We were extremely low on cap space, and with the inability to cut Mark Sanchez yet, we needed the cheapest option possible to compete at QB. The 49ers know they have to pay Kaepernick soon, like this offseason, and he will be pricey, probably the $20 million range. Adding a $16 million CB who might only be around 1 year wasn't ideal to them.

2: Edelman is purely a slot receiver and there is no doubt a ton of his production came because Tom Brady was his QB. No WR needy team went after Edelman because they know he is a limited player in terms of athleticism and he is only that valuable to a team like the Patriots, Broncos, or Saints. We already have a slot receiver in Kerley, and we are not a passing centric offense, so they would rarely if ever be on the field at the same time. It just wouldn't have been good value.

6. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

You find it easier to believe the Patriots deliberately get their coaches hired on other teams to ruin their franchise than the possibility of Goodell being a fan of the team that he worked for when he came into the league?

That's about the most delusional thing I've ever read.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Edelfucker is so underrated. Always moves the chains with tough grabs and churns out consistent punt return yardage. he's not fancy or flashy so he gets overlooked.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Edleman without Brady at QB wouldnt be the same calibar player unless he went to Denver.He's solid but most of that is Brady he can make anyone look good

9. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Brady made Edelman. Even Welker (even though he is not being discussed) pretty sure Kerley would be a lot cheaper than Edelman