Bucky Brooks 2012 NFL Draft do over

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The 1985er, Apr 18, 2014.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

There's nothing like looking back at a previous draft armed with knowledge and perspective on how each prospect developed. While it's unfair to the decision makers who ultimately pulled the trigger in 2012, I thought it would be fun to conduct a do-over of the draft that featured Andrew Luck, RGIIIand a handful of emerging stars. Here's how the 2012 NFL Draft would play out if we had a chance to do it all over again:

1. Indianapolis Colts
    Pick: Andrew Luck
    Do-over: Same
    Comment: Luck has already shown the special qualities that are typically associated with franchise quarterbacks. He has eight fourth-quarter comebacks and 11 game-winning drives, while guiding the Colts to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

2. Washington Redskins
    Pick: Robert Griffin III
    Do-over: Russell Wilson
    Comment: RGIII has been terrific in D.C., but Wilson is the ultimate winner with a Super Bowl ring already in tow.

3. Cleveland Browns
    Pick: Trent Richardson
    Do-over: Luke Kuechly
    Comment: Richardson failed to play up to expectations in Cleveland and Indianapolis. Meanwhile, Kuechly has already established himself as the top inside linebacker in the game.

4. Minnesota Vikings
    Pick: Matt Kalil
    Do-over: Josh Gordon
    Comment: Gordon has quickly become one of the premier pass catchers in the NFL. He led the league with 1,646 receiving yards in 2013, while averaging a ridiculous 18.9 yards per catch.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Pick: Justin Blackmon
    Do-over: Robert Griffin III
    Comment: There is no doubt that RGIII would've energized the Jaguars' fan base with his electrifying game. He also would've sparked a few more wins with his penchant for playmaking outside of the pocket.

6. Dallas Cowboys
    Pick: Morris Claiborne
    Do-over: Matt Kalil
    Comment: Imagine Kalil joining Tyron Smith to form a formidable frontline that would allow the Cowboys to pummel opponents at the line of scrimmage.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Pick: Mark Barron
    Comment: Big, athletic safeties with ball skills are coveted at a premium. Barron has been a steady performer for the Bucs in the middle of the field.

8. Miami Dolphins
    Pick: Ryan Tannehill
    Do-over: Alfred Morris
    Comment: Sure, the NFL is a pass-centric league, but the teams built for the long haul have a solid running game intact.

9. Carolina Panthers
    Pick: Luke Kuechly
    Do-over: Alshon Jeffery
    Comment: If the Panthers would give Cam Newton a big-bodied target with exceptional ball skills, Carolina's offense would go from good to great in a hurry.

10. Buffalo Bills
    Pick: Stephon Gilmore
    Do-over: Nick Foles
    Comment: Foles wasn't considered a franchise quarterback in the original draft, but a spectacular season that featured a 27:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio has certainly changed that perception.

11. Kansas City Chiefs
    Pick: Dontari Poe
    Comment: Former GM Scott Pioli was ridiculed for taking Poe in the original draft, but the workout warrior has quickly developed into a Pro Bowl player in Kansas City.

12. Philadelphia Eagles
    Pick: Fletcher Cox
    Do-over: Stephon Gilmore
    Comment: After striking out on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie andNnamdi Asomugha a few years ago, the Eagles would gladly invest in a young, athletic cover corner with immense potential.

13. Arizona Cardinals
    Pick: Michael Floyd
    Comment: Floyd has been a nice complement to Larry Fitzgerald on the perimeter. He could eventually supplant the Pro Bowler as the Cardinals' No. 1 option in the passing game.

14. St. Louis Rams
    Pick: Michael Brockers
    Do-over: Fletcher Cox
    Comment: Cox has shown promise as a high-motor defender with imposing size, strength and athleticism. He would be a nice fit in Gregg Williams' ultra-aggressive scheme.

15. Seattle Seahawks
    Pick: Bruce Irvin
    Do-over: Chandler Jones
    Comment: Irvin flashed pass-rush skills during his rookie season, but Jones is a superior player on the edge. More important, he is a natural defensive end capable of staying on the field in every situation.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

16. New York Jets
    Pick: Quinton Coples
    Do-over: Whitney Mercilus
    Comment: Mercilus would give Rex Ryan the athletic pass rusher that he's lacked since his arrival in New York.

17. Cincinnati Bengals
    Pick: Dre Kirkpatrick
    Do-over: Janoris Jenkins
    Comment: Character concerns knocked Jenkins down the board in the original draft, but he has been a solid citizen and dynamic player since entering the league.

18. San Diego Chargers
    Pick: Melvin Ingram
    Do-over: Vontaze Burfict
    Comment: Burfict's gritty demeanor and ultra-aggressive game would give the Chargers defense an edge that's been missing in recent years.

19. Chicago Bears
    Pick: Shea McClellin
    Do-over: Olivier Vernon
    Comment: Phil Emery has hit home runs on a few surprising selections, but the McClellin experiment has been a disaster to date. Meanwhile, Vernon has already notched 15.0 sacks in two seasons and is a better fit as a situational pass rusher off the edge.

20. Tennessee Titans
    Pick: Kendall Wright
    Comment: Wright's "street ball" game will drive some offensive coordinators crazy, but it's hard to dispute his production or effectiveness as the Titans' No. 1 receiver.

21. New England Patriots
    Pick: Chandler Jones
    Do-over: Quinton Coples
    Comment: Coples' versatility would make him a solid fit in Bill Belichick's hybrid defense.

22. Cleveland Browns
    Pick: Brandon Weeden
    Do-over: Ryan Tannehill
    Comment: Tannehill would finally give the Browns a young quarterback to build around in the Dawg Pound.

23. Detroit Lions
    Pick: Riley Reiff
    Do-over: Bobby Wagner
    Comment: Wagner is an underrated defender on the national scene, but NFL insiders see him as a steadying force in the middle of an elite defense. He would thrive playing behind Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley in the middle.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pick: David DeCastro
    Do-over: Lavonte David
    Comment: David is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker with terrific instincts, awareness and anticipation. Those traits would encourage Mike Tomlin to add him to the lineup in a do-over.

25. New England Patriots
    Pick: Dont'a Hightower
    Comment: Hightower has been a great fit in Bill Belichick's defense -- a big-bodied, versatile second-level defender with rush skills.

26. Houston Texans
    Pick: Whitney Mercilus
    Do-over: T.Y. Hilton
    Comment: Hilton's speed and explosiveness would create more room forAndre Johnson over the middle. Additionally, Hilton's big-play ability would add another dimension to an offense that perennially ranks as one of the best in the NFL.

27. Cincinnati Bengals
    Pick: Kevin Zeitler
    Do-over: Michael Brockers
    Comment: Brockers possesses the size, length and athleticism that would entice Marvin Lewis in a do-over scenario.

28. Green Bay Packers
    Pick: Nick Perry
    Do-over: Melvin Ingram
    Comment: Ingram's explosiveness would make him a more effective complement to Clay Matthews in the Packers defense.

29. Minnesota Vikings
    Pick: Harrison Smith
    Comment: Smith has been a solid deep middle defender for the Vikings. He attacks runners in the hole, while also showing the range to stay over the top on deep balls.

30. San Francisco 49ers
    Pick: A.J. Jenkins
    Do-over: Rueben Randle
    Comment: Randle was overlooked the first go 'round, but the 49ers would welcome a smooth receiver with strong hands and exceptional ball skills.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Pick: Doug Martin
    Comment: The "Muscle Hamster" shot up the charts in the original draft. His production and performance over the past two years justifies theBuccaneers' decision to select the Boise State product at the bottom of the first round.

32. New York Giants
    Pick: David Wilson
    Do-over: Coby Fleener
    Comment: Eli Manning's numbers have dipped a little last season without a dominant playmaker down the middle of the field. Fleener's size and athleticism would give the former Super Bowl MVP a big target to pinpoint in the red zone.

3. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Speechless.

Browns pass on Gordon, who led the league in receiving by >100 yards while on the Browns (and missing 2 games) and an uninjured Griffin as well as Foles for a linebacker? Any linebacker?

I mean... I don't even...

Does Brooks not realize what failures Ingram and Mercilus have been to this point?

Also, I love Lavonte David but he would be a horrible fit in a 3-4. So much fail in this do-over.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Josh Gordon was a Supp. Pick, thus he was not eligible to be taken in April. Browns gave up a 2013 2nd round pick to get him.

Already a massive, massive fail. Will still read on though...

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Coples is the better player than Mercilus....Whitney had more sacks because Coples had the injury that took him out for the 1st month......

Don't get this at all.

NYJalltheway and DMarsh6 like this.
  6. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I saw this on NFL.com and just shook my head... I can't believe he got paid to write that

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've pretty much always thought Brooks was a clueless doofus, and I agree that this do-over is a fail in many ways, but I think in the case of Gordon he's saying that the Vikings would take him, so he wouldn't be available for the Browns to take later.

8. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

But the Browns picked at 3...

Do you mean they wouldn't have traded down to the browns?

9. NCJetsfan

No. The Browns took Trent Richardson #3. I'm not sure they would have taken Gordon at #3 ever, except in retrospect. Also, if Baker is correct, as he pointed out, Gordon wasn't available in the regular draft, so the Browns couldn't have taken Gordon at #3, nor could have Minny at #4. With that being true, then in the supplemental draft, both Indy and the Redskins would have had a shot at Gordon before the Browns, and chances are the Browns wouldn't have gotten him then either.

10. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Baker is correct in the Gordon was only available in the supp. draft, which really highlights just how screwed up this whole thing is. I would buy that perspective except he then goes on to have Minnesota draft Gordon at 4.

By the way, that's not exactly how the supplemental draft works anymore. They have a number of lotteries (I think three of them) where they split up the teams (lowest third, middle third, and highest third) based on previous season's draft order. In the 2012 supp draft, Buff had the first crack at it among the 1st 1/3 of teams. Cleveland was second. If we went back in time, Buffalo would likely have exercised their 2013 1st rounder for him.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah the NFL media office makes Bucky put out these stupid things, I wouldn't put much thought into them if I were him either.

12. NCJetsfan

True.

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize they'd changed the way the supplemental draft works. I never want the Jets to take anyone in that draft, so I hadn't paid much attention in years.

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Also, our pick doesn't make sense. The guy only has 3 sacks more than Q. But then when he has Q going to NE, he talks it up.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm telling you Bucky Brooks doesn't give a shit about this little write up, he probably barely thought about it

15. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Just read our illustrious 2012 number one and number two draft picks (Quinton Coples and Steven Hill) have just been cut from their teams. I don't even remember who picked them up.
    I hate to rehash this mess but holy shit what a waste. Really explains why we can't seem to progress as a team.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Don't forget Demarrio Davis with the third pick. The Tanny/Rex drafts were brutal.

17. greaser

No shit! I know any football fan can look at previous drafts and make themselves sick with the thought of missed opportunity. This one was special though, It goes beyond just hindsight being 20/20.
    This will infuriate me for years more. What a complete squandering of a draft.
    I should be over it by now but it's clear those two had no idea what they were doing. Some blame has to lay with Johnson for hiring them to begin with. If he doesnt know football he needs to surround himself with people that do.
    While were at it, FUCK REX. He is not some defensive genius. He Always had wicked talent and his Leroy Jenkins play calling is hardly revolutionary. Benifited from three teams that have badass defensive players.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  18. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Being reminded of this made me just throw up in my mouth a little. And to think I fell for the Rex/Izzy/Tannenbum clown show. Shame on me!

19. greaser

I'm sorry my man but we're all in this together. Please understand, I don't want to be a malcontent. It's just that misery shared is a lighter burden.