Mike Westoff on Sirius NFL Radio

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyIommi, Apr 17, 2014.

1. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Westoff was a guest of Simon Wilcots today. First he said that he loved the CJ2K signing and thought
    he would be more impactful then Decker.Then Wilcots asked him if he was surprised that Rex kept his job
    despite missing the playoffs for 3 straight years. Westoff said absolutely not that Rex had earned the right to come back. He then said something that surprised me. He said that if Rex did not take the Jets to the playoffs in 2014, he fully expected that Idzik would blow it up and fire Rex.
    His opinion seems to run contrary to the majority opinion on this board. Does Westoff's opinion carry any wait on this board, and if so, what do you think of his opinion on this topic?

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The only opinion that carries any weight is John Idzik's. Everyone else is just noise and means nothing.

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I feel that Idzik likes consistency, and Rex will be here unless he completely screws the pooch (which I don't see happening). I almost get the feeling like Rex is our Marvin Lewis.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Westhoff is a smart guy, so his true opinion would carry weight for me. When guys start pursuing a media career (which is exactly what Westy is doing) you have to step back and realize most of what they say is just trying to get people to talk about what they said. I am not saying I think Rex will be back no matter what, I'm just saying this doesn't make me lean one way or the other.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No need for anyone to speculate huh? We might as well shut this board down then. NFL network should cease operations because unless you are making decisions then there is no point in having opinions

6. Falco21

That's not what was asked lol

He asked whether the opinion holds weight. No one's opinion on here holds weight lol not mine either. The only opinion that holds weight is that of the individuals involved in the franchise. This is a message board filled with opinions. I am not saying anyone can't have an opinion, but it is wrong to think any of our opinions hold any weight.

7. BrowningNagle

Westhoffs opinion carries some weight because he's so close from retirement he's probably still in the know.

I could see it happening. They got him some talent this offseason and there's no more excuses. If thy don't make it, it'll be four years without playoffs, tough to defend your body of work with that. It's a huge year for Rex whether people think its make or break or not

8. BrowningNagle

Ok captain obvious. then your post is even dumber because it was pointless and unnecessary.

Jets69 likes this.
  9. Falco21

As is yours

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The problem with above is that he left before Idzik came in. In general, several decades worth of experience deserve to be listen to. In this case however I'm not sure his overall knowledge is directly relevant.

11. BrowningNagle

He might not know Idzik but I'm sure he's still in touch with many in the organization. He's probably not still in the know I guess but he's definitely got a pulse for the organization still. Idzik doesnt wake up one day and decide to can Rex. Those things are probably discussed in depth by multiple individuals in closed circles anyway..

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The decision to keep or fire Rex is not in the hands of Idzik. It rests squarely on the shoulders of the owner. Does Idzik like Rex or does he really want his own guy? No one knows but them. All I can say is based on what I've seen on and off the field. When the Jets won last year Idzik was genuinely happy. He was caught on camera a good number of times after a W and wasn't faking it. So I can only guess that means he wants Rex and the Jets (and himself) to be successful.

Harry Banus likes this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You know, I rarely disagree with you so twice in the same thread is .... interesting.

I'm sure Westhoff is having lunch from time to time with Jets guys. However Idzik already proved that there shell be no leaks. MW being on the media side now is the enemy re any inside info. I have no doubt that the first time Mike breaks a news that is real and could only come from the inside, there will be serious "who said what and when" investigation at Florham Park.
    I'm sure MW's dinner friends were already warned.

Before you ask... No, I have no internal info and can give no references. However in this case my (and everyone else's) inability to give a reference is kinda evidence in itself.

Harry Banus and MaximusD163 like this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Also just want to throw out there that it doesn't exactly take a genius to make a prediction like this. The chances are if the Jets miss the playoffs it's because something went wrong. If it's injuries, he'll probably have a pass, but if the Jets just screw up a couple times and miss the playoffs for no good reason, Rex probably will get fired.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Westy tells it like it is. It was a valid point.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Idzik seems quite content with starting 10 guys who are either rookies or 2nd year players this season.

If you take that approach, where future is weighted more heavily than present, than it would be egotistical to blame the coaches for falling short on the playoffs in the present. I don't think Idzik is that egotistical, and the coaches will not be fired short of a terrible season.

Personally i feel we have one of the best defensive minds, and one of the best offensive minds in the game on our coaching staff.
    If the team direction is to build something sustainable, they should look to do so with those guys on board.

LWC611, The 1985er and Harry Banus like this.
  19. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I would put some stock in what Westie says, but he is just going by his gut feelings- Idzik wouldn't tell him that kind of thing, and he never worked for him so he might not know him that well.

If 2014 is a disaster year, say 4-12, then few doubt that he would be fired. If the Jets make the playoffs, then of course Rex will stay. Even a bad playoff run would be something good to build off of.

There was an anonymous quote from the Jets saying that it's not playoffs or bust. That could have been Idzik, asking not to be named, especially since it seemed like a self-serving quote designed to take pressure and speculation away.

I think that Rex will stay, as long as it seems like the arrow is pointing upwards.

The 1985er and MaximusD163 like this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Blow it up can only mean the coaching staff because we've got a pretty good team being built over there.