trump interested in buying the bills....

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by alleycat9, Apr 15, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The thing though is the league is trying to expand, they want 34-36 teams. Moving a team doesnt help that at all, creating a new team does. So while we will continue to hear rumors about the Rams, Jags, Chargers etc moving to LA, it will NEVER happen. NEVER.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you have a source for the NFL wanting to expand the number of teams to 34-36 or is that something soxxxxxxxxxxxx dreamed up?

3. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

WIDE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it will happen either, but I don't get your reasoning at all. It won't happen because LA is valuable as a threat and cities will cave in because nobody wants to be part of the team that let the NFL team leave the city. If the NFL wants to a move a team LA, it will happen with the owners behind it. This will occur because it will be keeping their profits still high, which I think is your argument for expansion into LA only. If a city won't help the team fund a new stadium as leases run out, LA is that primary threat the NFL and owner uses. If the owners can keep those really really really nice deals from the city while constructing new stadiums and keeping the profit, they'll move a franchise to LA to do it. I just don't see a city/NFL going that far where the team will be relocated.

Also if a new expansion team pops up in LA, will it have to be 2? I don't see the NFL running with odd number of teams and what other city is ready to accommodate a NFL team? Will LA double up? Can you start two teams in a city at the same time without eating up a portion of fans for one team? So 34 teams also changes well divisions, conferences, wild cards, etc.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You brought up a good point, teams using L.A. as more of a threat so the city support them. Also if a new team in LA is created, a 34th team will be have to be created to.

I think the NFL wants to introduce 4 new teams and create another division. They would have to get rid of conferences, create a playoff structure in which there are 9 division winners and 5 wild card winners. (We are moving toward a 14 team playoff so they what drop the wildcard from 6 to 5 and just add a another division winner. All the owners are for creating new teams because they all would get a share of the profit when they sell the team to some billionaire. The obvious locations are Los Angeles and London. Other cities would likely be Toronto, OKC, Vegas (unlikely though), San Antonio, and even NYC itself.

6. displacedfan

London wouldn't work as a solo team without a US home base to stay. You figure teams need a bye week after traveling to London while the London team would need a home base so they could play 2-3 road games in a row. Their schedule would have to load up the road games at the beginning and end of the season so traveling teams could use the bye. However, if they somehow make the playoffs, insane home field advantage right? A London team could only work in name right now I think

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Does anyone reasonably think that Trump of all people would move them to LA? Also, hasn't the NFL frozen Trump out of previous attempts to buy a team (probably because of the USFL stuff)?

I don't see this happening, in fact I'll be shocked if it does. Probably just a PR push by the Donald.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It depends. A flight from NY to SD is about 5 1/2 hours. A flight from NY to london is about 7 1/2. For East coast teams, the travel is not that big of a deal. I think the NFL just needs to create a schedule in which the London team opens the season on the road, and around week 4 play a string of home games against teams coming off bye weeks/Thursday Night football games or something.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The dilemma for the NFL is having to install four franchises in the same offseason. Its very difficult. I believe it can be done but its not going to happen anytime soon. They need multiple stadiums agreed to be built at the same time.

10. displacedfan

London is 5-6 hours ahead. The WC is 3 hours behind the EC. The WC would be 8-9 hours behind London. It's not necessarily the flight itself and you are only thinking EC.

The schedule would have to be really unique as you mentioned. London's road games would be Weeks 1,2,3,4 and 14,15,16,17. Their home stand would be in the middle generally with the bye before the last road trip or after the first one. Because of this, they need a home base to practice, play, live, etc. Playoffs creates a problem. What if London is the 2 seed in the playoffs. WC team has to travel to London? What happens if the WC team wins or London team wins and travels to the 1 seed, extreme disadvantage.

The NFL rule now is that teams playing in London get a bye week after right? So every team that goes there gets a bye week.

On top of that, for WC teams like the Chargers for example, is it fair to send them from a home game in San Diego to London? Or would you have them maybe play a game on the EC first then travel to London to ease the time difference. Who knows, the London team would take years of planning and even then I'm not sure if the players or owners would agree with it.

Of course this is all void if traveling to London isn't a big time shift for players. However the NFL providing teams a bye after playing London leads me to believe it is something they don't want teams doing, playing in London and not getting a break.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah Idk what the deal is with London, next season they were be playing a game that will be at 9:30 a.m. East Coast time.

The NFL is big over there. I know it appears here in the states that the NFL is kinda foreign elsewhere but it isnt, ive talked to people in Europe and the sport is popular there. I was kinda suprised when I heard that but thats the perception that has been created in the United States. Football is supposedly only popular here but that is false from first hand conversations with people from Europe.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

If he buys a team, that should be the exact logo on their helmets.

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

14. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

The NFL is huge in Europe and getting bigger every year. Its something Americans are going to have to get their heads around,the fact that ye now have a game with a worldwide appeal not just a domestic appeal. Also the nfl
    aren't quite up to speed with it either, its very difficult to get official team merchandise etc. There is a serious amount of money to be made by the NFL in Europe but they don't seem to be getting it right yet

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Are you from Europe? and yeah Americans dont realize it AT ALL. I was under the same impression to, until I started talking to European visitors, and the answers I heard shocked me. Its not a foreign sport as it is made out to be and the installation of a European franchise is going to be HUGE because it will spread throughout Europe.

If I were to guess, within 30 years we will have franchises in places like Spain, Ireland, France etc. Once when the London team is established, more will follow.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One possible solution for London, if the NFL goes that way, is to have the Glazers sell the Bucs and purchase an expansion team in London. This would get around the collective bargaining issues related to trying to relocate an existing team with its roster of players to another country. The expansion draft is generally second-string players who are going to get a chance to start for their new team so there is a lot of incentive for them to accept the move.

The Glazers know the UK market and circumstances as well as anybody in the NFL since they own Manchester United. They'd be better grounded in terms of making the venture succeed than anybody else is likely to be. UK owners would have the culture shock of the NFL to deal with.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

so this idea that the nfl wants to expand to 36 teams. It comes from where, exactly?

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

It comes from where?

19. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

yes im in Ireland, to be fair I think the whole London franchise is a lot further off then you think, there are just too many logistical issues to overcome. As for franchise's in other parts of Europe I think ifthat hhappens then you will be lookibg at some sort of European developmental league as opposed to nfl franchise's in those cities.
    We get the over seas college games in Dublin 80,000 sell out every time. A lot of disappointed people that London got the 3rd game this year and not Dublin. Personally I think teams and the nfl need to sort the simple stuff like merchandise distribution rights first before they start looking at franchises here. We get 3 live games on Sunday, Thursday and Monday night football and all thanksgiving and playoff games. Despite the time difference(mon night starts at 1.30 am tues morning) they get huge viewing fiqures tge next round of tv rights auctions will be very interesting

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Travel is the biggest issue with european franchises. Ten hour flights from California to London are just not practical. The best solution would be to have multiple franchises and establish a separate division with only occasional transoceanic flights.